January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Using an IRC client to chat instead of the web login
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:36 pm 

From time to time, it's probably useful to update this for new users. The chat room has an online sign in page, but it can/does crash some people's browsers on occasion. The other option is to use an IRC client.

I use Trillian and have since the beginning. Aside from the chats, you can also use it to simultaneously chat on a whole bunch of different platforms at once (MSN, ICQ, Yahoo etc etc).

You can download this FREE program

HERE

Once it has downloaded, click to install.

First, it will ask you to agree to the service agreement. Read it, and if you can live with it, click AGREE.

It will ask you to choose the destination folder. Unless you have a reason to change it, go for the default that it offers. Click NEXT.

It will then ask you if you want to change your default search engine and install a Toolbar. Default is already checked to "I agree". If you DON'T WANT TO, UNCHECK THIS (It's optional). Click NEXT.

It will then start to install Trillian. Once it's installed, click LAUNCH.

It will bring up the Trillian Astra client. You will have to create an account (it's free). Fill out the info and make sure you put a valid email address in, since they send you a confirmation code that you will need. They will ask you to enter it before continuing.

As I am updating from an old version, it has imported most of my old settings. For those that are installing from scratch, follow the instructions as you like, add as many of the IM choices as you use. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE IRC BOX. You can configure them individually later on if you like or make a mistake. For our purposes, I'll only talk about the IRC settings.

You will have a figure 8 icon in your toolbar. Click on it and the Trillian client should come up (just as with MSN messenger for example). Above the "My contacts" part of the screen, you will see a bunch of dots that if you hover your mouse over, should list the names of the IM functions that you chose earlier. The white/grey one should read IRC. Right click it and choose "Manage my connections". That should bring up the "Identities and Connections" portion of the preference menu.

Click on "Add new Connection" and choose IRC from the pop-up menu.

On the first line, you should have a blank box followed by "via IRC" next to which there are Connect, a Settings and X (delete) buttons. In this box, choose what you want to call the GemChats. Me, I called it GemChats so I remember what it's for, :D

Under that box, enter the name you want to sign into the chat with. In my case, it's Africanuck or AfriQanuck.

And under that is another box next to which there is a button with "..." on it. In that box, enter irc.freenode.net To make things easy, check the "automatically connect" box.

Then go back up to the "Settings" button next to where you entered your sign in name and click on it.

Next to "hostname", enter irc.freenode.net . The port number to enter is 6667.

Enter your sign-in name in the Ident settings boxes.

Options: Check the "Reconnect on disconnect" and "Rejoin channels on connect" boxes.

Check the default box for proxy settings.

Now, look to the left hand side menu...you should see "Chat", "Privacy", "Encryption", Miscellaneous" and so on. Click on the Miscellaneous tab.

You will see a box underneath "Perform buffer" that says "Commands (one per line).

type in /join #gemology or just paste what is in bold here into that box.

Check the boxes for "Rejoin channel when kicked" and "remember channel keys".

Close the configuration/preferences window. Bring up the actual chat client again. If you hover your mouse over the IRC dot, it should say "GemChat online". (Again, mine picked up the old settings, so this may not be right). If it doesn't, right click the dot and choose "Connect to GemChats". Once it's connected, it will open the chat window automatically.

I know this sounds long, but it's only because I'm describing simple steps in elaborate detail because I'm too lazy to take screen shots and post them. :lol:

Anyone having any problems can drop me a PM for help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:39 pm 
Gold Member

Hi 'nuck

First and foremost before starting the process you described check with your Internet provider. Some will not allow any IRC activity on their service. Mine is one of the Naysayers. They have told me that they will withdraw, suspend and otherwise terminate my service if I use one of these ... Only in Canada :roll: Bell and the cable services are monitoring internet useage on a random basis ... its a pain in the ah ehm neck ya thats it the neck. I have had numerous arguments with them about what constitutes commercial usage ... they contend that buying stuff online is commercial usage and that I should therefore pay the business rate for my connection .. :lol: .. so far we have agreed to disagree. I still have my "home connection".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:49 pm 

Actually, Frank asked me for the details again, so I thought I would share them with everyone.

It always amazes me how these companies (telephone and internet etc) in Canada don't get slapped with lawsuits concerning monopolies/cartels and market manipulation.

I remember coming for holidays one year, buying a SIM card cell line and being flabbergasted that they actually charge you to RECEIVE phone calls. The guy earnestly tried to explain to me that it was all about population and distance and coverage blah blah blah... right up until I told him that I lived in a West African third world country, had lived in another and NEITHER of them charged to receive. Not in Europe, Turkey or the Middle East either, I might add.

I don't know how they get away with fixing the market they way they do.

You know, if you sign into the web login, you're still using an IRC chat room...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:54 pm 
Gold Member

Hi 'nuck 99% of the problem is an outdated outfit called CRTC its a rest home for political lackeys and their most recent decision was to allow bell and the cable companies to sell you 7 meg bandwidth and then throtle it way down during prime time usage. yup only in Canada :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:08 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

nothing to do with tread but
Africanuk you sell russian demantoid rough :shock: ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:58 pm 
Site Admin

Have I been in a coma?
Is Africanuck selling rough?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:55 am 

No, I don't sell rough. You all would be the first to know if I did. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:32 am 
Site Admin

Thanks a million for the 'trillion for nulls' tutorial Canuck :)

Maybe I'll be able to get it running again before sunday :roll:

Wolf does this interest mean your going to join the chats?? :P

Any suggestions for a topic for next Sunday or shall we continue with light and / or colour?

Thanks again Africanuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:01 am 

Maybe we could hold off a day on deciding? I'm about to send out an email to all of the people in my class for the link to the chat room and this forum. Some of them know it already, some don't. We have a "reading week" next week and it might be nice to get some input from some of them on areas that need review, if that's ok with you guys?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:54 am 
Gold Member

Hi Frank

Tried the last two weekends to be there. all I got was an empty chat room.

Must have been something wrong with my puter or the IP was playing games :)

Can't be there this week, hopefully I'll be resting in Univercity hospital this weekend recovering from my fourth heart operation. :) wish me luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:32 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

good luck wolf
my mom have hearth problems to :(
lol africanuk you should lawsuit those guys . interprise name is qanuk and it´s for canada. i can´t belive myself when i saw that :lol: . thought your in business :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:37 am 
Site Admin

good luck Wolf!!!
i'm pretty sure you'll be here soon again!!! :D
ciao
alberto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:25 pm 

Pedro wrote:
good luck wolf
my mom have hearth problems to :(
lol africanuk you should lawsuit those guys . interprise name is qanuk and it´s for canada. i can´t belive myself when i saw that :lol: . thought your in business :)

Ah Pedro...Canuck is to Canadian what Yank is to American, it's kind of the collective nickname for someone from Canada. :D

And Wolf...Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

You take care to get well wolf. We can discuss the chats once you're back. It would be nice to see you there though.

Canuck we can defer decisions up until Sunday night :D Hope your class all come en-mass

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:50 pm 

I wish you a smooth ride, wolf.