January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: SAS2000 Spectrophotometer Analysis System for gemstones
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:35 am 
Valued Contributor

When cruising channels the other night, I caught an rerun CSI show that was about a Vet smuggling diamonds into the US by inserting bags into the uterus of horses. YUK, I know, but one thing they used that interested me, CSI team was using a diamond ID machine that had a probe and a laptop running the software. They suppositly were able to not only tell a complete clarity grade, but somehow claimed to have anylized the inclusions and positively ID’d the stones as Conflict diamonds from South Africa. OK, so this is hollyweed, fiction , fiction and more fiction. But I thought it might be based on something factual. And it does colored stones as well!

Here is what I found. I don’t know the price, but this is a cute item.

Adamas Gemological Laboratory is proud to introduce to the industry the custom built SAS2000 Spectrophotometer Analysis System for diamond and gemstone evaluation and grading. The SAS2000 provides the most accurate colorimetry available today for diamond color grading, helps determine radiation treatments of diamond, provides better ability than the DeBeer's DiamondSure to detect probable synthetic diamonds , replaces the spectroscope for transparent gemstone evaluation, and produces a consumer oriented, copyrighted Diamond Quality Analysis Report which shows the WHY of a diamond color grade. NEWS FLASH SAS2000 Inovations SO GOOD That DeBeers Tries To Steal Them

http://www.gis.net/~adamas/sas2000.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:05 am 
Site Admin

Wow. Does anyone want to call the number and see how much this baby costs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:20 pm 
Valued Contributor

I bet it’s a scary bottom line for this. They probably have to charge you a minimum for an inquiry phone call just to help pay off the investment! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:17 pm 
Gold Member

Have you seen this article?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 211440.htm

Wow! I want one of the handheld models! :D

Quantum Mechanics...the dreams stuff is made of. :smt047

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:33 pm 
Platinum Member

Wow, wonder if it can detect treatments and synthetics as well.
Could put a lot of gemologists in the unemployment line. :shock:

I can see it now....The year 2015, this new item in at JTV.... :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:04 pm 
Valued Contributor

JB wrote:
Wow, wonder if it can detect treatments and synthetics as well.
Could put a lot of gemologists in the unemployment line. :shock:

Arent you full of words of inspiration today

JB wrote:
I can see it now....The year 2015, this new item in at JTV.... :x

And in 2016 GIA will be promoting it as the newest thing as well as trying to make it sound like they were in on the ground floor when it was invented. Then they can put thier name on it and sell it for 4 times normal retail as required equipment for students! :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:09 pm 
Valued Contributor

Just surprise no one really knew about this here? Im still a student of GIA GG course, I would have thought there would be tons of people who knew about this in the trade. Then again, maybe now they will decide to write in talking about how this is old news. I hope they can explain it , the pros and cons, and the price, then.
But just think , it seems like it took a no body like me 8) to what 15 minutes of a show I never watch, to find this out! I don’t know if I should pat myself on the back, or shun myself with embarrassment !
:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:15 pm 
Site Admin

Pat yourself on the back vigorously! 8)
I've long felt that gem labs hesitate to use equipment like colorimeters because it would make the gem lab unnecessary.
Wasn't the GIA developing a device that determined numerically what color a stone was? What ever became of that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:31 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

I have actually got to see the SAS2000 in action at a local gemological service. The machine is about $20,000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:18 am 
Valued Contributor

rridenour wrote:
I have actually got to see the SAS2000 in action at a local gemological service. The machine is about $20,000.

thats not bad. Considering everything it replaces and the time it could save.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:05 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

Hmm . . . I was thinking of taking a couple of courses at the U of A; maybe geosciences should be one of them :lol: .

Thanks for the link, danielh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:24 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Greetings One and All

First off the SAS 2000 has been around for several years but the cost is so high that it is totally out of reach for the common jewelry store gem lab and even for the big independent appraisal lab people. It is mainly used by eggheads LOL

The SAS 2000 is also being attacked as mentioned by R & D department of DeBeers because it uses items that are very similar to what DeBeers has and I’m not talking about the so-called DiamondSure as that is totally different.

There has been a ton of articles published on this machine since it has come on the market.

The guys & girls at the Adamas Labs are adding new things to it almost on a weekly basis from what I can see as it has changed a lot in less than a year!!!!

The reason I haven’t been keeping up with it is because it is still totally out of the price range for the average retail gemological lab at present.

The Clarity Grading Chart Plotter is by no means automatic. It is just a simple drafting-plotting program you have to do by hand.

We will have to let nature and business take it’s course so that the SAS 2000 can go through several more generational changes before it comes within reason for the Retail Gem Labs but then again it may never come down in price for the common retail gem lab only time will tell.

http://www.gis.net/~adamas/

http://www.gis.net/~adamas//sites.html

Take Care and Happy Reading and Researching

Later

Coming Soon:

Bauer Gemological Products

From Simple Minds, comes Simple Answers & Even Simpler Solutions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:35 am 
Valued Contributor

I don’t know if its to expensive for the average jewelry shop these days. Many of my friends in the jewelry business are happily tossing 30 thousand and more on Cad / Cam systems for making custom waxes to cast, and they don’t even know how to use them! A couple have never even casted jewelry or made a wax in their life. They just bought into the hype of making lost of money with this. ( Im currently learning to operate cad/cam at a friends store, he knows how to use them and has been for years) The learning curve is long, tedious, and expensive as well. Some are also dropping 30 grand or more on laser welders. So 20 grand on another tool that you can use might not be a bad investment if you do a lot of gem work.

I will agree that its probably not within reason for the self employed Gemologist or the jewelry who isn’t a GG or do any real gemology trade with consumers , it would probably not be something to look into buying.

No matter the case, its still interesting.

Just my 1.5 cents worth

Daniel
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:39 am 
Valued Contributor

The SAS-2000 is an awsome piece of equipment but it doesn't do what they say on CSI. I would love to have one. As LaShawn mentioned, the problem is the price. $20k is the starter model. Really it's more like $45k to get the features that make it worth buying the thing and don't forget upgrades and maintenance.

The legal battles with DeBeers and GIA are mostly of academic interest for the rest of us but there's serious debate about precicely who stole technology from whom and who is infringing on whos patents.

I was watching a CSI the other night where they were messing with diamonds and based on a report number etched on the girdle they were able to look up the owner and ownership history of the stone. Yeah right.

Neil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:29 am 
Platinum Member

You could ofcourse also consider a portable fiber optic spectrometer for USD 1500.00

http://www.oceanoptics.com/products/usb2000.asp