January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:23 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

hi

i dont know much on pearls so for me its a good learning lesson :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:33 pm 
Platinum Member

Hi,

I read it mainly because people here read it aswell and they get answers that are not corrected or are not likely to be corrected. And of course because it just bugs me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

Pearls is good for me...bring em on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:02 pm 
Platinum Member

Hi all,

Next Saturday chat will be canceled aswell as that is Easter morning for our friends from the East.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:27 am 
Site Admin

Well the clocks changed last week so what time are we on tonight?

Are we moving to midnight or staying at 11pm?

Did the ozzie clocks change or not?

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:35 am 
Platinum Member

Hi,

Good question. Yes the clocks changed for Annie as well so I guess that we are back at midnight again .. 8AM for Annie.
I'll contact her to make sure (although probably too late).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:57 am 
Gold Member

I'm going out this afternoon so won't be attending the chat, but please post the log for me, Doos. Will miss you guys until tomorrow. :D

Quantum Mechanics...the dreams stuff is made of. :smt047

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:35 am 
Platinum Member

Hi all,

I'm sad to announce that of today the chatroom is closed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:42 pm 
Platinum Member

Hi all,

I realize that my sudden decision left some of you orphaned, which was never my intention (and I realized that to late).
The chats can proceed under the gemology online flag and with Barbra's permission I've uploaded the necessary files to the server. Some of you volunteered to host the chats, but I think this is the best and most stable solution (thanks though).

You can find it at: http://chat.gemologyonline.com/

Note that the backend is done by the IRC server "freenode" which is a very large server with 1000's of members and your favourite nickname may already been taken by someone else. For instance "doos" is already taken and I will have to logon under "doos__" or "doos234" .. well you get the idea.

The server is online 24/7 and the chats can proceed as usual with the exception that I will no longer be the host, nor will I provide for logging of the chats. There is also no blackboard anymore; maybe I can rig something up that works as well.

Over the last several years the chats were Annie's and my baby and I must reassure you that although sudden, the decision was made on good grounds - although painful.
I may turn up for several chats, but then as a guest.

Again, sorry all and to those studying .. focus on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

I've made a link on the left. We are hoping to see Doos at every chat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

We are all saddened at the loss of Alain and Annie as the moderators of the Gemology Tutoring Sessions that have been hosting for several years. The time they devoted to helping students and enthusiasts around the world is legendary.
They will be greatly missed, but we certainly understand that volunteering several hours a week, year after year can be exhausting and overwhelming. But, they will always be welcome to return if they ever have a change of heart.

ImageOn a bright note, we are very fortunate that a fellow Dutchman has volunteered to pick up the torch and carry on with the tradition of weekly tutoring chats. May I take this opportunity to announce that Spauwe (a.k.a. Tim ) will be coordinating the chats from now on.
Spauwe was training to be a teacher in the Netherlands, but had a change of direction while visiting gem localities on an international holiday. We all appreciate how gems can turn into a bit of an obsession. He is now enrolled with Gem-A and is hoping to graduate in early 2009.

We would like to invite all members of the forum to give him a warm welcome and join him in the new weekly chats. He will be posting soon to announce the upcoming topic for his first discussion.Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:09 am 

Who's that handsome fella? 8)

On Saturdays topic: I think we should stick with what was agreed: Frank is gonna teach us all more about refractometers. If you could please confirm this Frank, that would be great.

Further I want to express my deepest gratitude and respect to Alain and Annie for their past efforts, you two really helped me alot in my preperation towards the foundation exam and will be missed a lot. We all hope to see you joining your pupils regularly.

A note on the future chats: what do you guys think about moving the chats from 24.00 hrs Western European time (18.00hrs Florida time, 17.00hrs Arkansas) to 22.00hrs Western European time? Frank, Bart and I won't have to crawl into the late hours this way and it may make the chat a bit more appealing for other Europeans. This is just a suggestion so feedback will be highly appreciated.
If there's any gem enthousiasts in Asia and Australia that have been keeping away because of the times the chat was/will be held please make yourselves known, we'll see if we can work something out.

I'm looking forward to the uncoming saturday and sunday chats, and want to thank Barbra for giving me this opportunity, preparing chats will be of great benifit to my studies as well...

Everybody has been and will be more than welcome to join the chats, the times will be listed in a new thread after we negotiated the above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:13 am 
Site Admin

HI,
i vote for moving :D .
Of course, as european it would be better for me 8).
Many Kudos and thanks to Alain and Annie for the HUGE work they have done for FREE (and sometimes gets free headaches....)
ciao
alberto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:43 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Hi TIM
its nice to finally see a face to the person :smt006

CONGRADS and thanks for taking the chats on , the new time is ok with this side of florida :lol:

ANNIE , O:)
Words cant tell you how much i appreciate your givng of time ,( so early in the morning) for us and im gonna really miss seeing you there . You have giving me so much more then i can thank you for .

Doos , :D
I could never have learned what i know without you ,your a great teacher and you have made learning gemology fun :smt058 . we will miss you

THANK YOU Barbra , for keeping the chat sessions , we really appreciate the time and effort you give with the forum and all that it is and im proud to be learning from the BEST =D>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:58 pm 
Valued Contributor

Many thanks to Annie and Doos from me as well. We learn a lot during the online chat sessions, I'm very glad Tim wants to continue them, so thanks to you as wel, gemgabber 8)

Since Brian started the trend of posting pictures of our little student group, I feel I can but join in. Merry xmas! :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next