Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: W. William Hanneman Oct. 17, 1927 - Dec. 12, 2020 Monterey
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

Monterey County Herald wrote:
The end of an era came to pass on December 12, 2020, with the peaceful, yet sudden, death of W. William Hanneman, Ph.D, at his Monterey, CA home, at the age of 93. Born Walter William Hanneman on Oct. 17, 1927, in Oak Park, IL to Walter Mooney Hanneman and Bernardine Honoria (Sweeney) Hanneman.
Bill, a.k.a. Dr. Hanneman, obtained his undergraduate degrees at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign and his Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln. He went on to work as a research analytical chemist for some of the nation's largest corporations; of note, the DuPont Research Lab in Wilmington, DE, the Standard Oil/Chevron Refinery in Richmond, CA, and eventually retired from the Kaiser Center for Technology in Pleasanton, CA.
As a young boy, Bill was introduced to the world of gems and minerals by his father an avid lapidarist, thus beginning his lifelong hobby of gemology.
Rejecting the costly, yet established, pathway to a gemological degree, Dr. Hanneman decided to teach himself. He utilized iconic books, his advanced degrees in chemistry, and with 40 years of experience felt qualified to examine gemology from perspectives far different from those encountered in the "classical trade schools". Dr. Hanneman professed himself to be the world's foremost, S.O.G. (Self Ordained Gemologist) and true to form set out to present an alternative and affordable pathway to gem identification.
Ever the champion of the poor aspiring gemological student Bill took umbrage at the high cost of a gemological education. He believed that anyone with a keen interest in learning about gems should have that opportunity. Convinced he could do better, Bill utilized his insatiable curiosity, analytical mind, and chemistry background to develop and produce his own line of affordable gemological instruments under his name: Hanneman Gemological Instruments. The instruments that he invented, practical inexpensive solutions to cost prohibitive alternatives, are still in use worldwide.
Dr. Hanneman authored numerous articles and books on gemology including: "Pragmatic Spectroscopy for Gemologists," "Diamond Cut Grading Simplified," "Naming Gem Garnets," and his signature book the "Guide to Affordable Gemology" all of which were motivated by his desire to make gemological information affordable and thereby accessible to anyone interested in furthering their education on the subject.
Dr. Hanneman was twice honored by the Accredited Gemologists Association (AGA) with the Antonio C. Bonanno Excellence in Gemology award, an internationally renowned honor conferred upon those who have made important contributions to the field of gemology and a lifetime achievement award for continuously challenging the status quo on gemological issues. Additionally, the International Society of Appraisers presented Dr. Hanneman with their Industry Service Award for contributing to the advancement of the appraisal profession.
Bill always endeavored to share his knowledge with other gemological enthusiasts graciously presenting his concepts through lectures, seminars and workshops with innovation and humor and inspired people for decades. He leaves behind a legacy that is recognized globally in the professional world of gemology.
Bill also left an incredible legacy in the field of fly fishing. As an avid fly fisherman Bill developed the "Hanneman Common Cents System". The world's first objective system for the relative measurement of rod action, power and frequency and was published in RodMaker Magazine and Tenkara Angler Magazine in addition to writing a little book called "What Trout Actually See".
Bill was preceded in death by his loving wife of 65 years, Margaret Marie (Lynch) Hanneman, his parents, his sister Katharine Hanneman Schoenberger, a niece Susan Schoenberger Spencer, and two sons-in-law Cliff Tipton and Steve Jack. He is survived by his four children: Kathleen, Bill, Patricia, and Judith (Peter), his granddaughter Deirdre (Shane), three great-grandchildren: Shane, Kylie and Tyler, a niece Barbara and nephew Peter.
Bill will be dearly missed by all who knew and loved him though his memory lives on through the significant contributions he leaves behind.
In keeping with Bill's wishes, no service is planned. Join us in raising a glass to toast a life well lived.

View the online memorial for W. William Hanneman

Post subject: Re: W. William Hanneman Oct. 17, 1927 - Dec. 12, 2020 Monter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:26 pm 
Gold Member

A legend, an inspiration, and very interesting conversationalist those times when I was lucky enough to speak with him.

A life well lived. God Speed Dr Hanneman.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:13 pm 
Gold Member

I got to sit next to him the first time we came to a dinner at Tucson. An interesting gentleman.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

Dr. Hanneman and I go back to the mid 80's.

I had all the tools he made when I started out in the trade and we got into dozens of long and belabored discussions (cough cough) on the pros and cons of instrumentation......all instrumentation.
And we often discussed who should call themselves a gemologist and who is "only" an appraiser.

He gave me the business about my MagiLab instruments and I gave him the business about not being able to accept technological advancement.

Long story short, he liked me and I liked him.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:48 pm 
Gold Member

I told him I was considering building a Raman, and he told me it was way too complicated. I told him I had a Phd in Applied Math and a physics degree and the thought maybe I might be able to. I wound up finding a used Raman and writing software for it, which worked really well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:41 am 
Site Admin

I will always remember our interactions on the forum (cough cough) and then all the times he came to visit our booth in Tucson, I think he NEVER missed to come in all the years we have been in The AGTA Galleria....and, you know, over the years the subject of our discussions changed.....the first times it was always a PIA challenging about what real gemology was and the difference between being a gemologist and an appraiser... :roll: but as years passed we kinda "moved" to a different level till the point he one day told me "i am the past, you are the future..." but still with a note of slight bitterness as if he was still not ready to accept what the tecnological progress was able to bring on our desks.......that said, i dunno how many demo i gave to him and i guess every year he was eager to see the new machines and developments of our software.....he seemed to be always genuinely interested, i dont think it was pure courtesy......the man spent hours standing and staring at the machines listening this dude explaining in his uncertain english, i mean, he was having huge issues walking around at his age...and he never missed to bring us little gifts, usually something he made, little tools, one time his nice foldable chart about garnets....... I will always remember his daughter waiting for him, patiently....... he will be always remembered as one of the most stubborn and brilliant mind in our field, i will remember him and i would be ready to sign a pile of promissories to be able to live a so long life keeping up such a great interest and passion for gemology.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:08 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

You are very lucky to have known such a man.
He can be proud of his life, he will continue to shine through your experiences.
May he rest in Peace among the gems

"I always believed in being myself"- Thelonious Monk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:59 am 
Gold Member

Alberto wrote:
.that said, i dunno how many demo i gave to him and i guess every year he was eager to see the new machines and developments of our software....

Alberto,you always have the most interesting demos and the most interesting instruments. I am not at all surprised that he would come to see you. I very much enjoy coming and seeing what you have, and your willingness to share is very much appreciated.