January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: fresh water/salt water natural pearls(no cultured)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:27 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Quote:
your id suggests u r an indian?
no i aint Indian
Quote:
my pearls originated from missisippi river in united states of america,and the mussel type(UNIO) written on GIA certificate confirms their origin.

very interesting, unfortunately in GIA's Pearl grading they dont teach these stuff
Quote:
GIA or SSEF writes the mussel type,and this mussel type plays an important role to know where ur pearls might have come from.in ur case they wud not have reached on any conclusion to write mussel type,thats why they only wrote them to be natural pearl.

yeah and i thought they don't identify mussel type of pearl strands
Quote:
behrain pearl mussels died due to gulf war and ever increasing pollution in its sea,i talked to a marine enviorenment engg. who dived in the behrain sea and travelled all along its coastline,and he told me that he saw mud and garbage everywhere in the sea,no mussel can survive in the wild sea which is polluted.

my pearls are very old and they have been bought by my father for our jewelry shop and i hoped to send it to GIA for more clarifications but they didn't ID that part i wanted more
Quote:
fact is that whatever pearls are coming from behrain sea are small and very irregular in shape,else everything else is being imported.
my pearl strand have been bought with other smalls and irregular shapes pearls so i hope its same from bahrain

Quote:
i m curious to know what SSEF writes about ur pearl string,i hope u wil be sending them to SSEF for a second opinion?

i am not going to send it to SSEF because my customers are ok with GIA and they trust it and its not something very unique like your pearls
Quote:
it will be a delight for me and possibly all of us if u post their pictures here :)

i don't have its picture right now but i can post its GIA's Report"
Attachment:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 51.71 KiB | Viewed 3794 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:54 pm 
Valued Contributor

check this GIA certificate issued for a pearl strand in which they have mentioned its enviornment and mnussel type also.
they didnt mention it for you because they could'nt conclude anything.

Attachment:
pearl strand cert.jpg
pearl strand cert.jpg [ 15.4 KiB | Viewed 3792 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:05 pm 
Valued Contributor

pearl strand for which the above report was issued.

Attachment:
strand.JPG
strand.JPG [ 28.37 KiB | Viewed 3791 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:25 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

I think you will find that the issue of environment is nothing to do with "they could not tell", the GIA always use EDXRF & sometimes X-ray fluorescence, like other labs, to indicate SW or FW origin. The difference in reports is just an age one. The first one shown is their old format and the last one show with a specific "environment" field is the latest version, the one issued nowadays. If you check with NY or BKK I am sure they will confirm this point. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:34 am 
Valued Contributor

Macle wrote:
I think you will find that the issue of environment is nothing to do with "they could not tell", the GIA always use EDXRF & sometimes X-ray fluorescence, like other labs, to indicate SW or FW origin. The difference in reports is just an age one. The first one shown is their old format and the last one show with a specific "environment" field is the latest version, the one issued nowadays. If you check with NY or BKK I am sure they will confirm this point. Hope that helps.

Thanks for clarifying GIA's old and new format,I am not much familiar with pearl reports from GIA.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:14 am 
Valued Contributor

anybody came across such a similar pair during all these years i created this thread since?
i am curious to know because nowhere on this planet has any fresh water left where wild natural pearls can be discovered.

its the only forum apart from my Facebook profile where i ever posted their image.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:11 pm 

Thank you for the interesting information on the Bahrain pearl situation. facinating.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:21 pm 
Gold Member

kashmirsapphire wrote:
anybody came across such a similar pair during all these years i created this thread since?
i am curious to know because nowhere on this planet has any fresh water left where wild natural pearls can be discovered.

its the only forum apart from my Facebook profile where i ever posted their image.

Umm... Tennessee does.
http://www.inc.com/ilan-mochari/america ... mpany.html

Here is one for sale: http://www.ebay.com/itm/very-rare-Natur ... SwMNxXYNcP

They even have a factory where pearls are cultured.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:08 pm 
Site Admin

And Scotland.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:51 am 
Site Admin

And where I live. Picking of the mollusc species is prohibited nowadays. They are protected by law.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:48 am 
Valued Contributor

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
And Scotland.

what did you try to say Barbara #-o

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:53 am 
Valued Contributor

Conny Forsberg wrote:
And where I live. Picking of the mollusc species is prohibited nowadays. They are protected by law.

nice to know that finally law protection is given to mollusc as they are disappearing now a days,but interestingly they are not disappearing due to pearl hunting,main cause is pollution.
today finding the right pollution free fresh or salt water has become difficult and mollusk species are dying or have already been dead.
the day countries like Indonesia,Cambodia etc are industrialized we wont see any south sea coming to the market.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:18 am 
Valued Contributor

[quote="
your pearls are really amazing and unique to be almost round and natural fresh water pearls, do you know its country of origin? indeed thats very rare to exist if its true i suggest you also get SSEF "Swiss Gemmological Institute" report as second supportive report for your pearls so there would be no doubt.

[/quote]

their country of origin is North America,state Mississippi,mollusk type is UNIO earlier there was less information available on google but later on i learned their country of origin based on their mollusk type.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:28 am 
Valued Contributor

Alberto wrote:
Hi,

both GIA and SSEF provides for CAT analisys, if i was in your shoes i would forget about Mumbai lab results and send those pearls to Christie's or Sotheby's with GIA reports.... :wink:
just my 2c
ciao
alberto

Alberto,
i attempted 3-4 times and contacted christie's(as they have an office in india)
everytime i got same reply that " market for your property is low right now,try to sell it locally)
someone told me that these auction houses do not accept deals from everybody.

if anybody here can help me send them to an auction house,i wont mind paying some commission,or if someone can broker the deal with a private collector,i will be happy,or a percentage of sale can be contributed to the forum.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:33 am 
Valued Contributor

dchallener wrote:
kashmirsapphire wrote:

Umm... Tennessee does.
http://www.inc.com/ilan-mochari/america ... mpany.html

Here is one for sale: http://www.ebay.com/itm/very-rare-Natur ... SwMNxXYNcP

They even have a factory where pearls are cultured.

this pearl on ebay has no shape,such pearls are still easy to find with antique dealers and pawn shops.here we are talking about quality pearls.