January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Back from mineral vacation
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:32 pm 
Gold Member

I seldom can go on vacation without looking for something and this one was no exception. First a couple hours looking for jade in Wyoming. I bought some jade from some locals in Jeffrey City, and got a tip on where to look for some. After 2 hours looking I found about 6 pieces of jade plus one exceptional apple green piece. I can't believe it! Wonderful. Also a lot of local agate.

Next day was Kemmerer looking for fossil fish. Found about 10 or so whole ones, but nothing exceptional. a couple days later I stopped at a junk store in Roundup Montana, and bought some exceptional Montana Agate (slabs and rocks) for $20. He had some saws, too, but I had now way to bring them back to NC, so I didn't even look at them.

Next was Judith Mountain, looking for "Montana Black Diamonds", which are double terminated smoky quartz crystals. Had a lot of luck and got a bag full. (These are not even close to as nice a Herks.)

a few days later, we stopped in Phillipsburg, Mt. and went through dirt from the Himalaya Mine, Sunstone Mine, and (of course) local Montana Sapphire mines. Found some nice stuff, but nothing exceptional. But like fishing, I guess, a lot of the fun is in the looking.

Lastly stopped in Delta, Utah at a couple rock places and got some exceptional deals on Red Beryl, including a violet red beautiful 1/4 carat cut stone (trillian) and and a ruby red one set in a ring for my wife. Also some rough.

Lastly was coincidentally in Denver during the show and spent half a day looking through the Colosseum building. Not as nice as Tucson, but still nice. Got some nice diamond crystals (not facetable, so I guess technically they are boart), and a few other things.

Also had some wonderful days at National Parks, and with family - but they aren't as interesting to this crowd. :-D

Post subject: Re: Back from mineral vacation
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:50 pm 
Gold Member

A successful outing by the sounds.

My wife is resigned to the fact that wherever we go, I'm going to stop and look at rocks :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:49 pm 
Site Admin

That was an impressive trip.
I did a similar one last year, going to some National Parks along the way. Loved Moab, Utah.

But your other excursions are really the highlights in my eyes.

I wasn't fond of the Denver Show, or maybe it was Denver I wasn't fond of. I found more interesting stuff under the tents than in the Coliseum but I don't think I'd go back.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:25 pm 
Gold Member

Ditto Barbara - the tents were certainly where the interesting stuff was. I bought a bunch of turkish agate for my son, which should be arriving any day now...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

Can't wait to see it.

When I was there, I bought blue barite and kyanite, fluorescent petroleum in qtz., a bag of 3" xl balls with iridescent fractures and a couple of fabulous cedar burl boxes.

When I was in Utah I collected sedimentary rocks from the Morrison Formation and as many red rocks as I could get in the back of the car from Moab. :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:47 pm 
Gold Member

Did you notice that the top of the hill at Arches, from which you see Delicate Arch appears to be made entirely out of blue chalcedony?