A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Career In Gemology
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:40 am 
Established Member

Dear all,

Thank you for having me here.

Having finished my gemology course from GIA India, I am currently working for a jewelry store which is privately owned. After the completion of course I got a job as a diamond grader at a sight holder company. But since this was a family shop, I left the job after two months and came and started working here.

Its been eight months now since I started working here. I do quality checks on diamonds and the overall jewelry.

At times it feels I am losing touch with colored stones so thinking of owning a microscope in near future. I love to see and identify stones and study their traits which help us identify them. I had finished by bachelors in business.

The question I have what should be career choices in future that shall help make me independent on financial basis. I am planning to work here for some time more till the business develops since I don't see potential of my growth here. After that what I should do I am confused.

I want to understand the science of gemstones and go much more deep in the knowledge.

Kindly help me out.

Post subject: Re: Career In Gemology
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:20 am 
Valued Contributor

You may consider adding a qualification as a valuer of jewelry to that of gemologist, so you can value jewelry for insurance purposes. I am not sure you can make a living out of this, unless you are heavily connected to insurance companies.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:03 am 
Established Member

I thought about doing the appraisal correspondence course from NAJA, but they informed me that the course won't be applicable in India, because the course is based on USPAP rules which doesn't apply to India.

As of now in India their is no proper governing body for appraisers as they have in US. So this option doesn't appeal to me cause I am planning to stay and work in India for now. Please let me know if you have other options in mind.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:27 pm 
Established Member

Guys I know patience is important but your opinions matter. Request you to take out just 2 minutes to help me figure out this problem.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:57 am 
Site Admin

GemKing as most of us do not reside in India, the insight we would give you would not be applicable. I would direct your questions to local professionals.
Best of luck.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:39 pm 
Established Member

I undestand..

Recently I was going through the mastervaluer website, any views on how it will help a gemologist's career? And when is the right time to do the course?

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:21 pm 
Site Admin

The Mastervaluer, as I understand it, is based on the writings by Anna Miller.
See if you can find her books locally and check them out:
http://gemologyonline.com/books_appraise.html

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:40 am 
Valued Contributor

GemKing wrote:
I thought about doing the appraisal correspondence course from NAJA, but they informed me that the course won't be applicable in India, because the course is based on USPAP rules which doesn't apply to India.

As of now in India their is no proper governing body for appraisers as they have in US. So this option doesn't appeal to me cause I am planning to stay and work in India for now. Please let me know if you have other options in mind.

If India, which a huge country where the population loves jewelry, why don't you get overseas (eg in the UK or another Commonwealth country) qualifications as valuer and some experience, you can start a valuer society in India yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:46 am 
Established Member

Thank you for your reply Australian.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
If India, which a huge country where the population loves jewelry, why don't you get overseas (eg in the UK or another Commonwealth country) qualifications as valuer and some experience, you can start a valuer society in India yourself.

The legal ramifications of jewelry appraisal science are country specific.
I presume that the purpose of an appraisal in India would be
    Insurance replacement
    Liquidation
    Fair Market Resale
    Authentication of Components
    Confirmation of Purchase
Correct?
-Contact Insurance companies which cover jewelry policies and ask what criteria they are using for coverage and exactly what sort of documentation they accept for coverage. If they are using appraisers, who are they, where are they and what are their qualifications.

-Liquidation: Who locally buys jewelry for scrap? Contact them. How do they specifically determine how much a client is paid for what they bring in? Contact several businesses. Make notes.

-Fair Market: If one was under no financial duress and wanted to sell some jewelry, how would they do it in your area? Are there consignment shops, local auction houses, Craigslist, eBay, etc? How does the store in which you work handle a situation like this?

-Authentication: Do you feel confident in your skills to positively identify the fineness of metal, methods of manufacture, and positive identification of the gems within the jewelry and potential enhancements and/or treatments?

-Confirmation of Purchase: Again, this is essentially an offshoot of authentication. It involves making sure that a consumer bought exactly what they thought they were buying.

There is no Blue Book on jewelry and gems. A seller can charge as much or as little as they choose for something, BUT it must be honestly represented. That is why when someone contacts me wanting to know if they paid too much, I let them know that I can only make sure that what they purchased was properly represented.....the price they paid should have been researched by THEM before purchase, not after.

Make sense?

Read through some of the appraisal pages written by LaShawn Bauer and see if you can utilize his advice locally:
http://www.gemologyonline.com/LaShawn/appraisal.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:28 am 
Established Member

Thank you for your reply guys.

Barbra, I will start integrating all the things that you informed about slowly in my professional life, so that I have a solid base before heading in appraisal in this market. Recently I did a project in appraisal where the buyer wants to liquidate all the goods. I drew the format of appraisal from various reference books and gave him the appraisal of the goods. The thing I found difficult in the project was that the current market isn't mature, and goods are around 40 % undervalued in the market since the purchasers have self interest in it.

So liquidating the goods is not an easy job here since they aren't getting the proper value that they should in market.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:47 am 
Site Admin

The amount realized in liquidation is buyer specific....unless one just scraps the whole lot.

What are the items worth to a buyer? Some might see them as items they have customers for, others might see them as scrap.

I will identify fineness of metal and identify components of a jewel but I will not ascribe a value for liquidation....it is too subjective.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:33 am 
Established Member

Thank you Barbra for enlightening me on this topic. I will go through this http://www.gemologyonline.com/LaShawn/appraisal.html and ask if and when I have any further questions in the proper forum