Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: looking for a job as a gemologist in any gemological lab
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:45 pm 
Established Member

Hello everybody
I am from Burma I also have a few experience in working gemological laboratory and gems trading
I am graduate gemologist from GIA"London"
I really would like to work in gemological lab in other country not in my country
because working as a gemologist in gemological lab is my dream job
My family business is trading gems based in burma especially trade with thailand and HK
I believe working in other coutries could get a lots of contacts for trading.
any suggesting is welcome
thanks

Post subject: Re: looking for a job as a gemologist in any gemological lab
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:55 pm 
Valued Contributor

I assume you have tried the GIA career path listings? Very good source and free.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:36 am 
I recently finally hunted down a lab in the UK (my home country), and they said they didn't have a position that matched my skills, but they'll keep my CV on record.

They told me to get more gemmology experience; if possible with advanced gem testing like molecular spectroscopy.

I sent a one-word answer:

"How?"

Good luck; you'll need it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:28 am 
Site Admin

It's many times a "Catch 22" situation if you do not have the right connections. Can be very frustrating but do not give up, if you hang in and work hard enough I'm sure an opening will come.

Kyriakin, you would get a position from me if I had one to offer. I'm convinced you would be a perfect representative.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:02 am 
Thanks. I am in 'loose end' mode again, after being denied a Japanese working visa, and kicked out to Korea. I have no criminal record, and never tested positive for any infectious diseases (STD, or otherwise). Boss suspects it might be because I spent a suspiciously long time in South-East Asia, but he can't be sure.

I've started hitting the USA-based gemolgical jobs on the GIA website, for lack of anyone else (who doesn't want me to speak a language I can't speak) to apply to. Doubt I'd ever get a H1, with an excess of unemployed native talent already in the country, but it's worth a shot. Generally, a Brit will need a Masters/PHD though, and even then it's a 6-month legal process.

I have contacts in Thailand that I've met over the years. However, the Thai schools (GIA, GIT, AIGS) have been churning out some really smart, cheap, bi-lingual students out now for the best part of a decade.

Europe is a bit of a free market for employment, but Brits (like Aussies/Americans) are further suffering from the "we can speak your language, but you can't speak ours" syndrome. This is even happening in the UK, where talented bi-lingual Europeans are being selected (not really talking about gemology here anymore though) ahead of a complacent mono-lingual native population.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:08 am 
Established Member

I applied the job in every single lab in UK
yes they keep saying that they don't have a position for me now
but they will keep my CV
but whatever it's ok
Please please don't take it personally
I don't have contact who work in gem lab
How could you get the job in lab if you worked in lab
Would you mind could you guide me how can I find the job in gemological lab
thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:13 am 
Site Admin

GIA is always hiring Diamond Graders.

Their Colored Stone Labs are manned by gemologists who also have advanced degrees in geochemistry and geophysics.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:20 am 
Because of my failed visa application forcing me out of the country, my Philippino boss in Japan realised he could get away with not paying me my final $2000 from the three-month period I just worked. Ouch. That's worse than the $1500 contract completion bonus we all got denied in Thailand earlier this year.

I'm done with teaching in Asia.

------------------------

Fortunately, since getting these three letters after my name, I've been hitting the gemstone recruitment trail hard anyway. Only one reply so far though (as mentioned above, BGIUK).

I've tried/trying...

(1) All major gem labs I know of. However, from what Barbera says above, I would certainly have to upgrade my Physics Bachelor to a Masters, at the very least.

(2) The advertised US-based gemological jobs on GIA's listings. However, I'm convinced you need a Masters degree for the H1 visa.

(3) All of the GIA's diamond-grading locations (Canada, US, HK etc.). The FGA has no diamond-grading element in it (unlike the GG), so not too hopeful here. This does seem like a fairly common industry entry-point though.

(4) The gemmological schools that teach in the English language, to enquire about teaching positions.

(5) Slowly working through the Bangkok Jewelery Fair exhibitors magazine from Autumn 2010, emailing each Asia/EU-based coloured-stone company listed.

(6) Working through the UK-based jewellers based in Hatton Garden and Birmingham's jewellery district. This is the third time I've tried this cycle of contacts, but first time post-FGA.

(7) Basically every person in the gem industry I've ever met in-person (classmates, Chanthaburi/Maesot traders, Silom store owners, GIT teachers, eccentric gemological legends), to see if they know anyone who's hiring.

Are there any other resources I can use? Usually someone just says "check the GIA career listings" on these threads, but this resource (while undoubtably great; *cough*Gem-A*cough*) is pretty much a no-go-zone for those without a American passport/greencard/wife.

Also, emails/CVs don't seem to be getting the job done. Is it better to phone these places?

I might have to retool my career for diamonds, initially at least, since it's a much more favourable market for prospective new employees. One problem. While I find the creation and properties of white diamonds interesting, visually they bore me rigid.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:43 am 

Have you sent your CV into Jackson Maine? http://www.jewelleryjobs.com/index.asp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

If anyone uses this "head hunter" let us know the results.

Thanks, Julie. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:30 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hi Thu but also Kyriakin

Have you considered the BSc (Hons) degree in gemmology and applied Mineralogy at Kingston university?. They cover alot of the advanced laboratory techniques aswell as quite a bit on the background Geology of stones too...I finished there this summer.

There are a few snags...like for example they can only run it every two years at the moment, but it may just swing things your way in so far as getting a lab job, when I finished I went to Sri Lanka and worked on LIBS,FTIR,UV-VIS and Raman for three months.

The other thing I wanted to say was that I believe the UK GIA site (not the main U.S one)has a seperate job vancancy service which you can request to be put on the mailing list.

As for jobs...good luck..am in the same boat as you and thats WITH the degree so think it through before investing the time and money.

All the best
Alastair Meikle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:43 pm 

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
If anyone uses this "head hunter" let us know the results.

Thanks, Julie. :)

More than welcome. :)

I personally know a couple of people who got jobs through them, both with very high end well known places. One job was retail, the other probably related to diamond buying. There's a bunch of us getting together tomorrow, this person is supposed to be coming too, so I'll have a better idea on what it is she's doing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:47 pm 

AlastairMeikle wrote:
Hi Thu but also Kyriakin

Have you considered the BSc (Hons) degree in gemmology and applied Mineralogy at Kingston university?. They cover alot of the advanced laboratory techniques aswell as quite a bit on the background Geology of stones too...I finished there this summer.

There are a few snags...like for example they can only run it every two years at the moment, but it may just swing things your way in so far as getting a lab job, when I finished I went to Sri Lanka and worked on LIBS,FTIR,UV-VIS and Raman for three months.

The other thing I wanted to say was that I believe the UK GIA site (not the main U.S one)has a seperate job vancancy service which you can request to be put on the mailing list.

As for jobs...good luck..am in the same boat as you and thats WITH the degree so think it through before investing the time and money.

All the best
Alastair Meikle

Hi Alastair! The UK GIA will put FGA's on their mailing list for jobs? No GG necessary? I didn't know that, thanks. JP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:52 pm 

Hi
Sorry I should have said..You do need GIA qualifications to get onto the GIA UK Vacancy list.
A

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:06 am 

hello i am looking for graduate gemologist working in lab for colour stones certification in indonesia
Its can be in two way either worked together (join venture)or on salary basis in full timer
Indonesia has been huge demand on gemstones and its hardly not more than 2 graduated lab opened
Those who is interested may contact me in my email add shafaz09@yahoo.com we can discuss futher more in detail

thanks
indo