January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: Before and After – Post YOUR Transformation Pics
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:46 pm 
Gold Member

Duncan Miller wrote:
So, my client decided to heat treat the tourmaline, and sent me this photograph of the result.
Attachment:
Tourmaline after heating.jpg

Wow! I love the new color!! I wonder what temperature they treated it at? I suppose it must have been low.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:18 pm 
Valued Contributor

Duncan Miller wrote:
So, my client decided to heat treat the tourmaline, and sent me this photograph of the result.

I'm surprised at how strong the magenta is now, I wonder if this can be done to those green-orange tourmalines to reduce the brown and push them more towards a stronger pleochroic effect, Lisa Elser didn't try heating any of that kind.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:39 pm 
Gold Member

Duncan Miller wrote:
Attachment:
Tourmaline after heating.jpg
Yeah there you go, much more attractive now. But yes much in the eye of beholder when it comes to color.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:03 pm 

Very odd--usually I think of the pink color as being the first to go with heat. Of course tourmalines are not uniform in almost anything they do. But typically the path for brown-pink tourmalines is to heat them to near-colorless and then irradiate them to add just the pink back.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:36 pm 
Gold Member

I like the post heat treatment color much better as well. I think the market will reward that color with a higher price.

I find that most African Tourmaline can have the majority of brown heated off without too much lightening of the original Rubellite colors.

Stephen is correct that there are some locations in Nigeria where the tourmaline is heated to colorless, and then irradiated to a bright pink color. This Tourmaline has very little Red/Pink in it originally so when the brown burns off it is very close to colorless. Often this material is heated in Africa while still rough then sold to cutters as Achroite Tourmaline suitable for irradiation to pink.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:20 pm 
Gold Member

1bwana1 wrote:
I like the post heat treatment color much better as well. I think the market will reward that color with a higher price.

I find that most African Tourmaline can have the majority of brown heated off without too much lightening of the original Rubellite colors.

Stephen is correct that there are some locations in Nigeria where the tourmaline is heated to colorless, and then irradiated to a bright pink color. This Tourmaline has very little Red/Pink in it originally so when the brown burns off it is very close to colorless. Often this material is heated in Africa while still rough then sold to cutters as Achroite Tourmaline suitable for irradiation to pink.

Many of the east african tourmalines I have gotten from a past friend and mentor Horst Krupp, start out looking like that brownish yellow red, I then heat them and they have all turned out to be a rich red to magenta red rubellite tones, similar to this one did.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:50 pm 
Valued Contributor

Fresh off the dop! :D
London blue Topaz. step cut to a fancy shield shape.
I Like brilliant cuts more to be honest... but it was a nice practice.
also cut the crown first this time ,something that I don't usually do.
started at 16.1Ct
5.59Ct finished. 14.6 /10/5.9mm.

Attachments:
IMG_20210222_162337.jpg
IMG_20210222_162337.jpg [ 251.73 KiB | Viewed 6897 times ]
IMG_20210222_182831.jpg
IMG_20210222_182831.jpg [ 194.57 KiB | Viewed 6897 times ]
P1070678.JPG
P1070678.JPG [ 1.73 MiB | Viewed 6897 times ]
P1070670.JPG
P1070670.JPG [ 2.79 MiB | Viewed 6897 times ]
P1070660uu_InPixio.jpg
P1070660uu_InPixio.jpg [ 4.77 MiB | Viewed 6897 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:29 pm 
Gold Member

Beautiful color and nice cut. Do you think crown first is something you may continue to do? Or just an experiment of curiosity?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:37 am 
Valued Contributor

glhays wrote:
Beautiful color and nice cut. Do you think crown first is something you may continue to do? Or just an experiment of curiosity?

Hi,
I didn't find any advantage cutting the crown first, at least for me, it always tricked me to think that I have more stone that I actually have. so after a very nice high crown I found myself fighting to finish the pavilion. had to go way below critical angle here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:26 am 
Gold Member

I found that cutting the crown first works good for really expensive material when you are cutting the classic brilliant cut crown and step cut pavilion.

The crown must have good symmetry and meet points because it is what is seen after mounting. You always do a shallow sort of crown to save as much depth as possible for the pavilion.

For the pavilion you can just lay the facets on following the preform even if it results in some non symmetrical areas. You manage the bulge to save weight, and use the final row to close the pavilion even if it results in a slight window.

This produces very high yields, which is why you see so many very high value stones cut this way. But of course at the expense of some brilliance and pattern. The cutter must decide the extend of symmetrical variation and windowing that is acceptable for the stone.

It does seem a little counter intuitive that the most expensive stones tend to have lower quality cutting. But it is the way the industry works.

For less expensive material where you want to be sure there is no window, the facet pattern is important to the look wanted, and you need perfect meet points everywhere I find it best to cut tha pavilion first.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:51 pm 
Gold Member

Dor wrote:
glhays wrote:

Hi,
I didn't find any advantage cutting the crown first, at least for me, it always tricked me to think that I have more stone that I actually have. so after a very nice high crown I found myself fighting to finish the pavilion. had to go way below critical angle here.

I didn't want to be critical of your stone, relating to the windowing. I figured that was the case. I have found myself in that situation more times than not when doing crowns first.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:40 pm 
Established Member

I always cut crown first on Emeralds. Big table first to have a very good look inside for where the flaws located, and see if the design I planned fits .
Got frustrated a few times cutting pavilion first on emeralds, only to find out an ugly inclusion under the table, after all is done and stone is out .

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:45 pm 
Gold Member

Had the bug this week to get some cutting done, probably due to having my quills calibrated by a local machine shop last week.

Material: Afghanistan Blue/Green Tourmaline (Closed Axis)
Original Crystal: 27x9x7mm, 19.730ctw.
Roughed in a slight temporary table, and some girdles along the long axis to see what we had to work with.

It is what it is with this material!

Attachment:
20210707_122123.jpg
20210707_122123.jpg [ 259.51 KiB | Viewed 6629 times ]

Attachment:
20210707_122102.jpg
20210707_122102.jpg [ 190.55 KiB | Viewed 6629 times ]

Trimmed off the ends at the termination fractures. Leaving a 9.84ctw center section, measuring around 13.4x7.7x7mm. Has a feather like fracture I decided to leave in, surface reaching but seems to be very stable. Ohhh and no spontaneous exploding tourmaline, was kind of hoping in a way.

Final end result is a 12.7x6.5x5.55mm 3.98ct. Nice stone not great, like I said above.
Yield based on the original crystal not all that great, on the trimmed out section around 40%. What can you do with the trimmed ends? Anybody?

Attachment:
AFG-TOURM_27.jpg
AFG-TOURM_27.jpg [ 58.38 KiB | Viewed 6629 times ]

Attachment:
AFG-TOURM_40.jpg
AFG-TOURM_40.jpg [ 116.44 KiB | Viewed 6629 times ]

Attachment:
AFG-TOURM_15.jpg
AFG-TOURM_15.jpg [ 57.65 KiB | Viewed 6629 times ]

I am not one to usually post my work here on the GO, but some of these threads I enjoy seeing of others gems have been stagnant so hopefully I can pass the bug around and get some of you back in the mood.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:39 pm 
Valued Contributor

Only a little fracture, not bad for indicolite...
As for the off cuts, I imagine the thick one would call for a cut like Long Shore Man, in theory a triangular rose cut could give you a black face-up but give some light return through the blue axis from a side view, need to experiment more with the concept, it's similar to my triolettes.
Wouldn't expect anything really impressive, but it's something.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:22 pm 
Gold Member

Shifter55 wrote:
Only a little fracture, not bad for indicolite...
As for the off cuts, I imagine the thick one would call for a cut like Long Shore Man, in theory a triangular rose cut could give you a black face-up but give some light return through the blue axis from a side view, need to experiment more with the concept, it's similar to my triolettes.
Wouldn't expect anything really impressive, but it's something.

Thanks I just may place that design on it. Will need to review the original design angles and see if they can be enhanced for the closed axis of the rough a little.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76  Next