January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Omni Comments
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:13 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Sorry if it sounds like I'm picking on Jeff - that's not my intention. People asked for opinions and I am trying to give a fair representation of my experiences with my Omni. I am no way trying to disparage Jeff.

However I didn't realize that there would never be a 120 index for the Omni, as this would have influenced my machine choice. I misinterpreted the reply Jeff gave me - I thought his reply meant there wasn't a 120 now, but would be coming later as 72 and 77 indices were in progress.

As for my comments on the jig, here are some pics of the transfer jig, and two close-ups to show the play in the jig. These photos were taken with the jig adjusted to minimize the amount of play. Not huge but enough to mess you up, especially on rectangular cuts.

If you look at the design of the jig, the problem is that there is a spring-loaded screw holding the back of the sliding piece flat against the side rail but nothing holding the sliding piece down against the bottom of the rail. There is enough play in the system that you can get the sliding block to make clicking noises by alternately touching the opposite ends of the block, causing it to rock.

The modification I'm going to get done is to have a stepped slot machined in the bottom of the rail, tap a hole in the bottom of the sliding block and have it spring-loaded to pull the bottom of the block against the rail similar to the way the side is attached. Since I like to dop with the jig standing on the fixed block end anyhow, it doesn't matter if the resulting fix isn't flush with the bottom of the jig.

Maybe we should encourage Gearloose to put his mind towards creating the ultimate transfer fixture with a built-in stone alignment device? I'd definitely put my money into that project!

-Al

Post subject: OMNI
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:34 am 

Hello all;
You're right! I think we can agree that all of us want to be able to give our opinions w/o someone assuming something that wasn't what we meant. I'm sure Jeff Gram can defend his position on the business he runs. I only meant that his pricing on rough is high due to the quality. I liked the varied opinions I seen here before I ever joined or posted any opinions and I still feel the same way. No need for us to apologize over our opinions. Well, on second thought I have heard some opinions on JTV that were bad enough for Barbra to ban but in that instance the opinions had great value as comedic entertainment.
Having said that I will give another opinion to Gembug on your previous post. (Thanks for the great pix...seems like the Gemcutter hasn't posted a single pix yet; hey, I'm working on it.) I would feel uncomfortable with the amount of movement your pix show when using the transfer jig. If this is the jig that came with your OMNI it's different than mine. The body should be made from one piece with no moving parts other than the hold down clamps. I will second your idea to put Gearloose to the test (he's probably already made the thing).
I think a 120 index from another machine could probably be easily modified to fit the OMNI. Gearloose?????
Take care all, bob

Post subject: Questions for GemBug
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:24 pm 
Established Member

When I started this thread I didn't think I would get so many answers. This is good as I will know what I'm getting into. I have a few questions concerning the last couple of post:

:?: Is the reason the laps don't fit because they were made for a differen't machine and need some kind of bushing made to work right?

:?: Is the reason the transfer jig dosen't work properly, because it's only made to be used in a horozontal position?

:?: How important is that 120 index gear. Do many designs call for it?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge on this but I've never cut stones but I can't wait to. :)

I do have a machinist/toolmaker background and I understand the things you are talking about. I also check this thread at lease twice a day as I get closer to purchaseing and I realy appreciate everybodys opinion.

Thanks again,

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:01 pm 
Platinum Member

Bob, I would bet that most faceters only have a 96 gear. Maybe 90% of the published designs you will see use a 96, so I won't worry about not having a 120. The more teeth there are on a gear, the more likely you will miss index and get the wrong tooth.
I like cutting on the 80 tooth gear also as it allows a symettry of 5 which makes for some unique shapes.

If you don't like buying things twice... just splurge and get a Fac-ette.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:33 am 
Moderator: Lapidary Arts and Tools

Quote:
Maybe we should encourage Gearloose to put his mind towards creating the ultimate transfer fixture with a built-in stone alignment device? I'd definitely put my money into that project!

Legally, I am out of the faceting machine business for another nine years, so I would have to get some opinions from both parties' lawyers.

That's why I don't usually touch these particular topics any more, but appreciate the compliment, nevertheless.

Of course I have ideas for zero-lash tansfer fixtures....But then, I have hundreds of tham that come to nothing! It has to do with insomnia. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:07 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Bob - In reply to your questions:

- I'm not sure why the laps don't fit. I suspect the spindle is a hair smaller than the one on my old machine. I just checked with my ceramic lap and its center hole too is very slightly larger than the spindle and moves, so I am pretty sure the spindle itself is the problem. However with my little gasket (see previous post) everything centers pretty much perfectly now.

- The transfer jig... in my opinion, it's because the jig is only really constrained in 2 of the dimensions possible to move in. While I haven't had my proposed fix for it done, I am able to transfer successfully by making sure I have the moving block held against the rail with a light plastic clamp when letting glues set. If it's wax I just make sure I'm pushing the block solidly against the rail while it's setting. It's usable, I just have to be careful.

- The 120 index gear is my own personal thing. Not a lot of designs call for it. Mostly larger stones with lots of facets. Plus if you want to so some eggs many of those designs call for a 120. I can live without it and most people will never need one.

The best advice I can give you is to look at and try out hands-on if possible as many of the machines you are interested in. Everyone has their opinions on the "best" machine but in the end you're the judge. In my case I based my decision on my budget and the others in this range. While I didn't try an Omni hands-on, I was intrigued enough to take the chance. In the end I don't regret my choice but there have been some bumps in the road.

Hope this helps.

-Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:39 pm 
Platinum Member

btw I love the facetron transfer jig.. it's really bomb proof and not going to have alignment problems..

picture here: http://www.customgemstones.com/GEMCUT/GEMCUT.HTM

this looks cool too and cheap! http://magdop.com/

Post subject: Re: Questions for GemBug
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:11 pm 
Valued Contributor

Bob,

Here's my 2 cents on the 120 index. in 5 years or so, I've only cut one design that used it. The one I cut was a design I drew myself just because it was fun and I needed practice with gemcad... and I needed a 5 sided design for a piece of garnet.
Rarely do I see anyone else's designs using the 120 index. If you really find a design you want to cut that's indexed for 120, you can very probably convert it to an 80 index design using the gemcad software. If you're planning on faceting long term, you should probably buy the windows version of gemcad, or at least get the free DOS version. I use it all the time for all sorts of things.

bobrobley wrote:
:?: How important is that 120 index gear. Do many designs call for it?

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:13 pm 
Valued Contributor

I like my magdop. It allows for very accurate dopping, even on small rough. The only trouble I have with it is that the magnet is more powerful than I'd like it to be.

jleb wrote:

this looks cool too and cheap! http://magdop.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:39 am 
Valued Contributor

gembug wrote:
And the mast not being 90 degrees to the swivel arm, which means that the quill does not swing parallel to the lap but at an angle that changes depending on what position the swing arm is in. By rotating the mast I've managed to reduce it but it's still there, and makes it very difficult and irritating to do step cuts or larger stones.

gembug - I own a Hall Extra which is very similar in design to the OMNI-e. I had a problem that sounds alot like what you're having with the mast/swing not being parallel to the master plate.

I found that using the 'D' dop, if I lowered it so it was sitting flush on the plate at a point closest to me, when I swung it across to the far side it was floating over 1mm above the plate. This would vary depending on where about I positioned the dop and caused me alot of grief.

I thought it was the mast as well. I was ready to call Laurie Hall (the fellow who made the machine) up in Cairns but I had one last good look around my machine.

That was when I discovered the 3 bolts holding the bowl/spindle housing to the heavy base plate and the 3 grub screws underneath the base plate. You have to tip the machine backwards to see them.

I figured out that these grub screws allow me to micro adjust the master plate. First you will need to remove the rubber belts and the pulley on the spindle in order to get access to the grub screws. The pulley wheel was a bit tight but I managed to get it off.

Having done that, loosen the 3 bolts and then with an allen key, you can then start adjusting the master plate using the grub screws. Lower the machine and use the 'D' dop. Put the D dop down flush on the plate and then lift it slightly. If you have a lamp, angle it in so that a shadow is cast at the back of the dop... you should see a thin line of light where you've lifted the dop off the plate. This is your guide. Move the dop around and keep adjusting the 3 grub screws with the allen key until the D dop swings parallel everywhere on the master plate and the thin line of light separating the D dop from the plate is the same everywhere.

When done, tighten the 3 bolts again as this locks the grub screws in position and stops them moving.

It took me about 2 hours of finetuning to get it perfect and it solved my problem.

Good luck... I hope it helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:35 pm 
Platinum Member

Just to update everyone on my dop issues with Fac-ette.

Roger was kind enough to drop off some dops when he visited a few weeks back. These filled some of voids I had, but I am still missing many of the dops from the set I bought. I called Fac-ette today, (I have been calling weekly) and was told more bad news. Last week they told me they would shap Friday the 25th. Now I'm being told maybe mid March. I bought the machine the first week of November 2007, so we are looking at almost HALF a year!
The story today is one of the machines is down. I find this unacceptable. These are parts that could easily be subcontracted to a small machine shop with some CNC capacity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:40 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Quote:
The story today is one of the machines is down. I find this unacceptable. These are parts that could easily be subcontracted to a small machine shop with some CNC capacity.

Yeah, that is some bad news. From what I understand of the situation, I believe they are more than a little gun-shy on subbing out the dop manufacturing. As I understand it, they chose to do it in-house because the sub contractors who they had previously were producing much less than acceptable quality. What a choice: slow manufacturing or unacceptable quality. Ugh.

The prediction of a March shipping date surprises me a little -- but Tucson does pretty much shut them down until the shows are over.

I'm not trying to gloss over this situation -- only make it a little more understandable.

Several Fac-Ette users, myself included, will be meeting with the shop's General Manager, Johnny Tew, next week at Tucson. Gene, if you're up for it, drop Roger a direct email and ask to get in on the meeting -- it's invitation only at this point, but I'm very certain you'd be welcomed (and have a great time too).

peter

<><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:57 am 
Platinum Member

I fully intend on tracking down Johny in Tucson next week.

I know several shops here in Buffalo that could easily produce the dops. This are very simple parts to machine.

The argument of not being able to get parts is why Jeff Grahm doesn't recomend Nick at Alpha Torus, but I never though I would have these problems with Fac-ette. Nick can be slow, but not this slow. Unless Fac-ette is a one man show, having Johny in Tucson shouldn't shut down the machine shop.

I think Fac-ette should at least refund me what I paid for the dops that I never recieved. I couldn't imagine charging someone for a stone before I cut it, then 4 months later tell them I still dont have the rough yet. I think I would loose them as a customer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:21 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Yep, I hear you. I'd be very flustered. ...and if it were the situation you describe with a client, I'd expect to lose that customer too. If you have the ability, make sure you get the to Fac-Ette gathering -- I have it on good authority you're invited.

Since there are so many others reading this and I feel indebted to Fac-Ette, I should mention that the customer service is probably not the problem here: I bought a used machine which, though it reportedly only had 20 stones on it, turned out to have some significant problems. Fac-Ette, and especially Johnny, went out of their way to help me. They have been treating me as if I bought the machine from them directly -- everything involving the machine's repair has been at their expense, including shipping both ways. They lost money on me for sure. Fac-Ette is not a perfect & things happen, but they work hard at customer satisfaction. I know that from the incredible service they've shown me.

No, Fac-Ette is not a one-man shop and faceting machines are not their only business. But Johnny is not the only Fac-Ette person coming to Tucson; I'm given to understand that the big show puts a serious dent in their faceting machine production schedule.

As I said, I'm not trying to gloss this over. I'll be asking Johnny about it myself. Hopefully one of us can post a positive resolution to this whole thing after Tucson.

<><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:03 am 
Platinum Member

I just got off the phone with Johnny, and he informed me that the information I received yesterday about a mid March shipment for dops was wrong. He is shipping out the balance of my dops today!
So that's great news, and I'll look forward to meeting him in Tucson.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next