January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Diamond Powder
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:29 pm 
Platinum Member

Any know what happed it LapidaryPro diamond powered? Is it still available anywhere?

I used to get the 60,000 diamond high grade friable diamond powder from LapidaryPro. For me, this was the best diamond powder. On stones when other 50,000 would give scratching issues, this was always the ticket. Can't seem to find it anywhere now.

Post subject: Re: Diamond Powder
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:00 pm 
Gold Member

Gene,
It appears that the stock of the old LapidaryPro diamond powder is only available in 14k and 200k.
Here is the link http://www.facetingaccessories.com/polishes.shtml#diamond_powder
colorwright.com > faceting accessories > D > diamond powders.

As it is a high-grade synthetic diamond, my sourcing of diamond powders through an off shore manufacture and found that you have to inquire of a high grade or Premium Diamond(PD) and not just MonoCrystalline that is commonly used in the syringes for glass works. Hence lower cost per carat and not as highly graded and calibrated.
I purchased a kilo of 3k PD High-Grade powder a few years back with some 13k samples of both the Mono and the PD, most definitely a difference in in the surface result when used with a Batt. The 3k PD leaves a better finish then the 13k Mono. (600k to 3k PD verses 600k to 3k to 13k Mono) makes no sense.
I would be willing to try and order kg 60k PD from this supplier if you are interested in a joint venture. Not sure if this seller is still reachable, you know the world and all its issues and stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:42 pm 
Platinum Member

I know I have purchased this diamond in the past from Colorwright. I did call them a few months ago, and apparently Rob has sold the business. The new owners really didn't know anything about the LapidaryPro diamond, and were just selling off the inventory they had when they bought the business.

I think in the past I had gotten some from other suppliers, but it's been years.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:04 pm 
Gold Member

I know Rob and Horst Krupp partnered in the brands of LapidaryPro and GemologyPro. I am not aware of anyone else selling diamond powders under that name, and that is not really saying much. Horst is no longer with us, and we have most of the components that were manufactured for the L1 loupes and the D2 Dichroscope.