Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Few question regarding laps for a begginer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:00 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hello all,
I am a mineral-craving geologist, and I have been introduced to gem-cutting during my FGA courses a few years ago. Recently I decided I would try cutting stones for real :D

I just bought my first machine, and until it arrives I am doing a lot of research about what laps I should take. It seems that there is a lot of different approaches, with many people recommended many different things. I am trying to hear as many opinions before setting on something. I asked a few friends and I read a lot of threads on this forum. I now have a rough idea of what I want, but a few questions remains. Do you mind helping me with that? :)

First a bit of information:
    *I plan to be a somewhat active hobbyist, one to a few stones per week.
    *I am interested in learning to cut most "classic" stones over time, from fluorite to corundum.
    *Down the line I would like to specialize in collection stones, hard to cut, soft stones and/or full of perfect cleavage. Am I a masochist? Maybe, but challenges give me a great lot of fun

Now regarding the laps:

Roughing
I ordered a cheap diamond plated disk, 360 grit on ebay. This will sit on a master lap.

Fine cutting/faceting
Lots of people recommend a 600 grit lap, either sintered lap or a charging lap. I am not sure what kind would be the best for me.
For charging laps, I read people using either the Gearloose Solid Copper lap, Zinc+ lap or BATT lap with a 600 grit diastik. What would be the difference between these 3 laps with a 600 grit? What impact would this have to the stone?

Pre-polishing
I read people recommending the BATT with 3000 grit or the Zinc+ with 8000 grit. What would be the difference between the two? Would this affect the kind of stones I will be able to pre-polish?

Polishing
I was thinking getting a BATT lap with 60k diamond grit for most stones, a Darkside lap for stones that require oxide abrasive, and a Lightside lap with oxide abrasive for soft stones. Does this look like a good choice? Or am I overdoing it as a beginner?

Thank you for your time.
Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Few question regarding laps for a begginer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:58 am 
Gold Member

Sounds like you have it all sorted. One thing I would recommend is a good 600 for for most and good 1200 for the softer stone. Crystallite "The Standard" laps are good quality laps. Although many go with cheaper topper laps to start. Avoid the 600 charging on a batt or similar, a not needed exercise of extra issues. Good luck on your journey and happy faceting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:14 am 
Valued Contributor

Hello Martin and welcome,

I would rather recommend a Matrix instead of the Darkside. As the Darkside is concerned some are very pleased, for others it does not work. For me it rather does not work, but I have good results with oxides on the Matrix.

Happy cutting
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:39 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Thanks Glhays and Capcuadrate :)
After a bit more reading I think I will settle on a good 600 sintered lap, like the 32M from Adamas. For the 1200 I'll see what I can find.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:24 pm 
Gold Member

I too would agree with a DiaMatrix or Matrix in leu of the Darkside, I do not have a problem getting results from the Darkside, but find the other two laps give a sharper facet edge.