It is with great sadness I'd like to announce Dr. Hanneman passed away on December 12, 2020. His legacy will live on forever!
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: *guide* how to connect a B&W meter to a Facetron machine
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:33 pm 
Valued Contributor

Sharing with you a guide that I created, on how to connect a B&W meter to the Facetron machine (dial indicator model)

hope it can help others that searching for instructions on how to connect it.

Enjoy.
:)

Attachments:
File comment: Final Version
how to connect a bw meter to a facetron machine.pdf [3.34 MiB]
Downloaded 60 times

Last edited by Dor on Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: *guide* how to connect a B&W meter to a Facetron machine
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:25 pm 
Established Member

Thanks for posting this information on how you made the B/W meter functional. I'm sure if you were looking for the info, there are probably quite a few others out there also looking for the same info.

I have a few suggestions/comments to offer that I found make the B/W meter more consistent.

1: Don't cut until the meter reads 0, cut until it reads ALMOST 0. Since the meter can't go below 0, you can't tell if you cut beyond 0. If you pick a value above 0, then if for some reason you do over-cut a facet you will know that this mistake has been made when the meter drops below that value.

2: I prefer an analog meter to a digital meter for the B/W meter. If the refresh rate of the digital meter is too slow, this can add error to when you actually hit your target value. There could be a slight difference between the physical position & the displayed value. The analog meter also has the advantage of being easier to watch as you approach your target value instead of watching potentially rapidly changing numbers.

3: If you are cutting slow (to reduce meter refresh rate induced error when cutting to 0 instead of some other target value), then a digital meter is fine, and may even be better if you want to have it indicate contact with an audio signal (continuity setting) instead of actually watching the display.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:49 pm 
Valued Contributor

Mike1187 wrote:
Thanks for posting this information on how you made the B/W meter functional. I'm sure if you were looking for the info, there are probably quite a few others out there also looking for the same info.

I have a few suggestions/comments to offer that I found make the B/W meter more consistent.

1: Don't cut until the meter reads 0, cut until it reads ALMOST 0. Since the meter can't go below 0, you can't tell if you cut beyond 0. If you pick a value above 0, then if for some reason you do over-cut a facet you will know that this mistake has been made when the meter drops below that value.

2: I prefer an analog meter to a digital meter for the B/W meter. If the refresh rate of the digital meter is too slow, this can add error to when you actually hit your target value. There could be a slight difference between the physical position & the displayed value. The analog meter also has the advantage of being easier to watch as you approach your target value instead of watching potentially rapidly changing numbers.

3: If you are cutting slow (to reduce meter refresh rate induced error when cutting to 0 instead of some other target value), then a digital meter is fine, and may even be better if you want to have it indicate contact with an audio signal (continuity setting) instead of actually watching the display.

Hi, Mike,Thanks! Appreciate your comment and suggestions.
I am definitely need to play with it a bit more to get to conclusions.
the digital multimeter was the one in hand when I connected the device first time,but I already ordered an analog meter,should arrive any day now.
the "cut to the 0 point" mentioned in the guide,was mostly based on reading,and what other said,just to explain the idea,but for sure there are other ways to work with it.
your idea is even sounds better,because as you said,it give you room to maneuver,in case of over cutting and less interference.
personally what I find best so far with the digital meter, is
to stop cutting exactly as the numbers start to show on the meter.
which I tested, and found that its perfectly at the angle I choose.
( that minus maybe 1\2 a second from time the information got to brain to the time the stone lifted from the lap)
as I say,I didn't tested it much yet,
but it seems logical.
if the micro height adjustment of the first facet was adjusted exactly at the height when the numbers start to shows on the meter ,
its basically the same thing, and you can have good results with it.
I am consider myself more of a hard stop cutter,so I need to get used to this whole idea in general,which is maybe based on the hard stop of the machine,but the technique is a lot more resembles soft stop cutting.
I find myself looking at the meter while my ear still focus on the tik tik... #-o

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:46 pm 
Valued Contributor

*updated version* :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:09 am 
Valued Contributor

Final version just uploaded.
Enjoy! :mrgreen: