January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: suggested maintenance concepts for Fac-Ette users
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:33 pm 
Gold Member

Now moving to the quill area....
At the base of the quill is where the Index Plate is installed. Is good to keep this area clean of debris and such. Be careful when cleaning, as it is possible to wipe away or remove the "red line" indicator on the transparent protective Lexan plastic plate (center-right). If the need arises to replace the protective plate, remove the 4 tiny allen-head screws, and insert the replacement (making certain it is 'right-side-up') as it can be installed both ways. These lens units are custom made for the Fac-Ette and can be purchased for under $11 each. Fac-Ette also makes a unit with a magnifier - of which I have tried one - but I believe I should wait another 5 or 10 years and then my eyesight would be more suitable.

A close up of the area - the upper left shows the opening where the brass pawl lever notch drops in to match up with the chosen index setting. Normally, it would also lock into place the chosen index. More on that in a later post.

Additional view from opposing side - with Index Plate installed.

Plain lens: the "red line" indicator is only scored and colored on the one side.

http://www.rogerdery.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:18 pm 
Gold Member

As the quill can be run back-and-forth on the protractor rails to a desired angle, it is then necessary to lock it in place. This function is performed by a saddle clamp placed above and centered on the saddle block section of the quill.

Saddle block showing the clamp arm mechanism on the top, with brass locking nut situated directly below it.

Close in view of the saddle clamp.

Am holding a spare saddle clamp with brass locking nut attached. Since we have steel threading into brass, it is apparent that this is an area where the user needs to pay some attention as the brass will likely show wear after 2 or 3 thousand stones. Though, this can be affected by how firmly, and consistently, you tighten the clamp to hold the chosen angle.

If it becomes necessary to replace the saddle clamp/handle, they are available from Fac-Ette for under $30. The brass locking nut has cost under $10 each. I have not researched these items, but they appear very off-the-shelf.

I'm sure there are other types of lubricants suitable for the saddle block clamp, but this is what Fac-Ette suggest for users. May be difficult to read from the tube, but it is Permatex brand Anti-Seize lubricant.

Last edited by ROGER DERY on Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:20 pm 
Gold Member

Attached to the quill / saddle block component, is the brass pawl that is used to select and reselect the index settings on the Index Plate. The pawl is depressed over and over again to do this function. Each time it is employed, it is compressing a spring. Eventually, the spring fails either by snapping apart or not holding its tension or flex. Either way, this is something that can be remedied inexpensively. The springs are available commercially from various suppliers, or from Fac-Ette.

The pin that hold the alignment of the pawl is partially removed.

These pins are 1/8 inch and available from tooling shops as well. Best to have a little 3-in-One oil handy.

Pawl and pin removed for inspection and cleaning. This pawl has been in this machine for roughly 4500 stones. It is showing wear, but I don't currently have a replacement.

The spring has seen better days... time to replace. Funny though, didn't even know it was broken.

In addition to the spring, I've added a brass pin to slightly reduce the travel of the spring. The intention being, that I wanted to increase the resistance as the pawl pushed against the Index Plate setting. This way, it would feel more taught than how it comes from the factory. This is to suit my own preferences and may not be right for all users.

Placed into bottom of opening to reduce spring travel.

Then the new spring is placed directly over the pin.

Spring and pin/tube in place and ready for pawl replacement.

I readily admit that getting it all back together requires some dexterity. But once you play with it a little, it won't seem so difficult. At this point, we are fussing a little with getting the pin aligned perfectly so it will slide through. Usually takes a 1/2 dozen tries. At this point, you may find it easier to finish the pawl attachment without an Index Plate installed.

I hope you all are finding some of this useful.

Last edited by ROGER DERY on Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:26 pm 
Gold Member

This particular post may not be directly related to Fac-Ette users. But will have some relevance if your machine uses standard type bolts that act as the hold-down for your laps.

Since I find I wear out my lapnuts from time time, I looked around for other options especially for when I am using a master lap underneath my lap of choice. The lapnut that comes standard with my machine is a hex-head socket cap screw with a plastic type of cap on top. As shown below:

However, the standard issue for a Fac-Ette is 1-1/4-inch size. If you use a master under a sintered, BATT or other lap, you really need a 1-1/2-inch bolt, like the one shown below. These were purchased as hardened steel, but I prefer Stainless bolts.

I bought the parts at a Home Depot, but I know they are available elsewhere. If you prefer high quality metals, can check other suppliers such as McMaster-Carr, Fastenal, MSC, Small Parts, Inc and others.

Shown here is the Stainless Steel 1-1/2-inch bolt with hold-down-spacer.

The one on the left I made, the one on the right came with the machine. I use rubber washers to assist in holding down the laps. For some machines, including some Fac-Ette's, pushing the forward switch or button will have the lap run in a counter-clockwise direction. If, you happen to turn on the machine in the forward position, and the speed is set high, it is possible the lapnut may come loose. This is the reason for the rubber washers.

I am truly hopeful that the info and photos provided are useful to you, and may possibly assist you in saving time and money.

Last edited by ROGER DERY on Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:30 am 

Thanks very much Roger, your pictures have been helpful. Ever since the Google Group died Fac-Ette users have been starved of a knowledgebase.

Just a few notes to add for everyone.

If you have an older machine, the Brush Guard and Funnel Upgrade are absolute must haves.

I have found Tri-Flow to be the best lube for the baseplate and the protractor grooves. It is lower vicosity and tends to attract less dust and "gunk".

When removing the index plate to clean the red line, do not touch the allen key on the end, it will adjust your keying alignment.

Those three bolts Roger mentions on the base change the alignment of your mast in relation to the platen. Absolutely do not touch them unless you have a significant misalignment when sweeping and A) cannot get the machine back to Fac-Ette for a service and B) Have exactly the right tools and and understanding of how to align the machine.

When you change the brushes on the motor, be VERY ALERT. As soon as you open the little cap screw, there is a very jumpy little spring which will try its hardest to escape.

This one is a personal choice for a lot of people, but if you can make a desk with a cut-out, do it! It changed the way I facet completely. Everything's feels easier and more accessible. When you do it, start with a high desk, because you don't want to have to hunch 4 inches to loupe the stone.

Last edited by Lawrence on Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:36 am 

Thanks for bringing up the lap holder issue.

For me it is by far the most frustrating part of my machine. I do it up as tight as possible by hand, and still, 50% of the time I start the motor on the slowest speed, it will kick and undo itself.

I now spin the lap by hand before starting the machine so it stays fastened.

Some of the other machines I have used you can start up at 700RPM, so this would be ideal.

I have tried many things, including machining a new brass spacer (which helped) but nothing has been 100%.

Does the washer completely solve this problem for you?
Is it set into your custom spacer or is it just between them?
Using the washer can you start your machine at 6-800rpm or do you start each time and then ramp up?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:52 am 
Gold Member

Lawrence wrote:
Thanks very much Roger, your pictures have been helpful. Ever since the Google Group died Fac-Ette users have been starved of a knowledgebase.

When removing the index plate to clean the red line, do not touch the allen key on the end, it will adjust your keying alignment.
Thanks Lawrence, appreciate you pitching in.
Here's is the area he is addressing.
With my first machine, I was unable to remove the originally installed 96 Index Plate, as I wanted to work with a 64. So I had the bright idea that if I was to remove the allen head on the end of the quill, it would make it easier to remove. I was wrong and spent a fair amount of time on the phone with the factory to get it back in its proper place. It did affect the position of what was "center" for the cheater. I was able to get used to the new position, but wished I hadn't fooled around with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:05 am 
Gold Member

Lawrence wrote:
Thanks for bringing up the lap holder issue.
For me it is by far the most frustrating part of my machine. I do it up as tight as possible by hand, and still, 50% of the time I start the motor on the slowest speed, it will kick and undo itself.
Here is the area Lawrence is speaking of:
I have placed the rubber washer/spacer in the small recessed area that already existed under the Aluminum 'hold-down-washer'.

And then, washer-on-steroids..... my good friend Wayne Emery sent me one of these as he uses them as well. Image
The rubber part is from a hardware store and it is the part you would use to connect a garden hose to a faucet. The metal part is available from places like Harbor Freight or McMaster-Carr, etc.

Lawrence, with just the rubber washer, it is likely that this will act as a suitable hold-back about 80% of the time. Using the additional metal splined washer, I would think that it would bring your success rate near 95% or so.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:31 am 
Gold Member

Lawrence wrote:
Thanks for bringing up the lap holder issue. For me it is by far the most frustrating part......
Does the washer completely solve this problem for you? *almost, but not always.
Is it set into your custom spacer or is it just between them?**Yes, set into the metal washer/spacers inset.

An important question....
Quote:
Using the washer can you start your machine at 6-800rpm or do you start each time and then ramp up?

My machines are all "mast left". When I start my machines, the majority of the time I am pushing the Toggle switch into the "Forward" position. On a mast-left machine, this means it will be sweeping counter-clockwise. The lapnut tightens clockwise. Therefore, there is a built-in protection that the lapnut will automatically tighten itself as the machine is turned on to the forward position.

If you are running a mast-right machine, when you push forward on the Toggle switch, you are engaging clockwise - are you not? This, will in effect, risk loosening the lapnut. Originally, this lapnut conundrum was the primary purpose why I moved to mast-left machines. [I am right-handed].

When I trained with Jerry Call, he had both right and left mast machines to try out. After working on both types over several weeks, I was aware of their idiosyncrasies. I knew then of the potential risk as I had already planned on performing gem cutting demo's around the country and couldn't entertain such risk as having a lap inadvertently come flying off due to a first-time-user flipping the switch while the machine's speed control was sitting at *100*.

To my knowledge, I don't believe this concept has been addressed anywhere else. Thanks for bringing it up Lawrence as I hope others can benefit from this. Especially those who are for the first time considering a new machine.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:30 pm 

Hello All,

I fixed my lap nut problem a different way. I stuffed the original lap nut in the desk and forgot about it. I went to the hardware store and bought a 3/4" bolt and a big flat washer. The bolt has a 1/2" head on it. So next to my machine sits a 1/2" wrench. I tighten the bolt by hand, hold the lap, then give the bolt a slight tweak with the wrench. Voila, my right hand machine has yet to throw a lap, they do not come loose. Cheap fix, works all the time and it's quick and simple. The small head on the bolt allows me to get very close to the lap center giving me more lap area to work with as an extra benny.

Dale

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:39 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Good post Roger. And btw, for those who have a noisy Fac-Ette, your motor bearings, and or the platen assembly are highly suspect! The urethane rope drive belt is rarely a cause of noise, though mine does squeal sometimes if I ramp up too fast. Resist the temptation to over-tighten the belt-tightening adjustment, as Urethane doesn't take too kindly to being unnecessarily stretched. Heat will develop causing further stretching and bearing wear. I spent the better part of two decades in the packaging industry where conveyors run by rope belts were the lifeblood of the company.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:08 pm 
Platinum Member

Interesting Roger on the direction. I have a right hand machine, and run the lap in reverse all the time. This way I'm cutting away from myself, and any water spray tends to go all over the wall rather than on me.

FuddyDuddy, is there a cure for for the noisy motor bearings.... I'm going def. Roger may wear rubber gloves, I am about to start wearing ear plugs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:44 am 

Gene. - Interesting to note you cut on the far side of the lap. When you cut the table do you bring it onto the close side of the lap, or run the lap clockwise and cut on the far side still?

As for my issue, I am right handed on a mast right machine, so the lap spins clockwise.

I learnt on the same type of arrangement, however the machine had a reverse thread for the lap nut. I would change my Fac-Ette to the same setup in an instant if I could.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:10 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Precision Gem wrote:
Interesting Roger on the direction. I have a right hand machine, and run the lap in reverse all the time. This way I'm cutting away from myself, and any water spray tends to go all over the wall rather than on me.

FuddyDuddy, is there a cure for for the noisy motor bearings.... I'm going def. Roger may wear rubber gloves, I am about to start wearing ear plugs.

Precision Gem. With the machine sitting on its rubber feet, any bearing noise can be somewhat insulated or muffled, but not entirely. Since my machine is mounted in a work table with dense quality door jamb insulation between the table and the machine base, I've got the same thing. The trouble is having only one machine and nothing to compare it to, it's questionable whether loud mechanical noises indicate imminent failure or not. But mine was howling and the failing bearings could be heard above the normal whine of the motor. Actually, both the motor bearings and the platen had bearing faults. All were replaced.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:22 pm 
Platinum Member

Lawrence wrote:
Gene. - Interesting to note you cut on the far side of the lap. When you cut the table do you bring it onto the close side of the lap, or run the lap clockwise and cut on the far side still?

Yes, I cut on the far side of the lap, and hold the quill with my right hand like a pencil. When I do cut the table it, I almost always cut it at 0 degrees and then do cut on the close side of the lap. I find the arrangement very natural, maybe because my Alpha Torus machine cut the same way so I was used to it. I see other people hold the quill from the top, and this doesn't feel natural or controlled to me, but I'm sure those that do are used to it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next