January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Help needed with UltraTec V2
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:05 am 
Established Member

After contacting UltraTec and being informed that they don't have anymore spare parts for my old
V2 since many years, i thought i'll ask the nice people here for help.
I am in need of the faceting head spindle and the screw that runs through it. The stainless steel spindle that the index wheel sits on. Mine seams to have developed a wobble.
So, if you have an old vintage V2 that just sits unused in your garage or basement, i would be ever so greatful to buy the part off you and pay the shipping cost to Switzerland.
Many thanks
Vistar

Post subject: Re: Help needed with UltraTec V2
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:34 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hello,

I believe I saw that Wyatt Yaeger (the owner of the rights to Fac-ette and maybe Factetron faceting machines) had a couple for sale on the Fac-ette GemMaster Facebook website. I don't know anything about him or his business but you can look into it.

Thank you,

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:27 am 
Established Member

Thanks, appreciated. I will look into it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:05 am 
Established Member

Hello Vistar. The problem you describe may not be the result of wear. It could be an alignment issue. Information on faceting machine adjustment has been very difficult to find, but happily complete instructions can be found in a link in Facetips, recently mentioned in this forum on Jan.19th by Duncan Miller. You can download the whole book from the link he gives, but the important section on adjustments is from the following USFG link: https://usfacetersguild.org/faceting-machine-alignment/. The author Paul Head explains how to check the quill axis, which I think is what you need, in step 9. On my Ultratec there are three set screws in the quill, at index 96, 24 and 72. It is my suspicion that these three screws enable the dop axis to be aligned with the quill axis, but the adjustment will be subtle. Possibly other members of the forum can offer some advice about this. You might also want to look at a posting by Wilsonintexas entitled "Modified procedure for step 10 in the USFG machine adjustment" in January 2016. He is very knowledgeable, and may be able to offer you more suggestions.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:22 pm 
Gold Member

Vistar wrote:
After contacting Mine seams to have developed a wobble.
Vistar

I would ask to better explain this. To vague to offer any advice. Have you removed the quill for inspection?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:11 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Play in the quill as you've described can also be a sign of bad quill bearings. They are off the shelf bearings and aren't terribly expensive. I'd suggest getting the highest precision ones you can find. For some reason old UT machines had metal sealed bearings on the quill which aren't the best at keeping out abrasive mist. I'd recommend using rubber sealed bearings of the same designation. It's likely that will fix your problem, but even if not upgrading the bearings is a good idea on an old machine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:58 am 
Established Member

Hi again and thank you all for your replies and advices.
To describe better what i noticed: by cutting some SRB's lately, i noticed by rounding off the girdle facets that the round stones don't touch the lap evenly. Lets say possitions 96-33 would indicate 90.00 degrees, but 33-69 would indicate 90.05 degrees. I swapped to a ceramic lap, to eliminate the possibility of the lap being at fault. Got the same result.
A few days later I then removed the dop and brought the quill itself to rest on the lap. That showed me that the quill is straight. It turned out to be the Spring collet that holds the dop which is out of center. So, problem diagnosed.
Since i am also a very bussy Goldsmith with little time on my hands lately, I just packed the UT and brought in my Facetron. Took me 2-3 stones to get fluent again cutting on it, but works great and acurate.
So, Thanks again for the helpful advices, appreciated.

Vistar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:58 pm 
Gold Member

When I got mine, the bearings and the quail were shot. I end up buying a double angle or DA milling extension that was half-inch this fit into the bearings and then I was able to find a DA Collett that took quarter inch . I found one where or when I took off the screw head I could slide the indexes right over it. Mine was steel so I have to keep it oiled and taken care of for rust. There are some stainless steel ones you can get they were just more expensive than I could afford at the time.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:46 pm 
Gold Member

I had an older ultratech that has one of the old tapered seats.

O replaced it with a 1/2 inch double angle angle (da) mill holder. Being da it can take various collets including 1/4 inch.

I would have liked a stainless one, but i found a steel one on sale. I ended up buying some brass da collets that do not rust.

The only issue is keeping the collet derusted.

It has been working for ten years with just the need to cleaning the collet once in a while.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:09 pm 
Gold Member

This is an er collet system but it meets the criteria:

A straight 1/2 shaft so you can slide the index gear over it.

1/2 inch dia which is the id of the bearings in the head.

I would prefer it to be a little longer but this would do.

https://www.haascnc.com/haas-tooling/er ... d_source=1

I prefer the da double angle collets. But this will do.