January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: HUGE transparent stones (what are my options???)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:37 pm 
Established Member

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on rough stones that can be bought where a finished cut size finished stone could be achieved up to (x2) 2.5" x 2.5" x 1/2" in the shape of a circle. It must be transparent (or mostly) without any fractures. It is important to me that it be natural. So far my options are Mozambique rose quartz which is often found I clean sections of large pieces and carefully selected rock crystal. Ive seen evidence that there is a natural non heat treated red carnelian from Indonesia referred to as cempaka after a red soda popular in SE Asia that would be very interesting to me but I haven't found a supplier as it is a relatively new discovery and not well known outside Indonesia. I assume smokey quartz is also available but I have never seen any this large without fractures. All of these options are difficult to find in this size without fractures of course. Does anyone have any other suggestions especially if they know of sources? I was thinking TV stone could be an option as well. My budget is UP TO ~2,500usd for the rough which I would facet myself though obviously if I could something for 100-200 that is natural of course that would be preferable. I assume a clear aquamarine even if very washed out color would be vastly more expensive then my budget. I assume clean even light color amethysts and citrines are probably not available in this size as well. If anyone is wondering, this is for a carving and not jewelry which is why the size requirement is so large.

Post subject: Re: HUGE transparent stones (what are my options???)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:36 pm 
Valued Contributor

Half an inch deep? That's rather flat.
Using GemCutStudio's yield estimation, you are looking at rough in the thousands of carats for anything close to a well proportioned gem at 2.5 inches wide.
The only common transparent gems I know of in that size are Quartz, Topaz, and Spodumene, and rough for topaz and spodumene is rare or difficult to cut at this size.

Agates and Rose Quartz won't have the clarity to benefit from faceting at that size either, but if you are going with that low depth, you could have an interesting rose cut pattern.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:01 am 
Established Member

Shifter55 wrote:
Half an inch deep? That's rather flat.
Using GemCutStudio's yield estimation, you are looking at rough in the thousands of carats for anything close to a well proportioned gem at 2.5 inches wide.
The only common transparent gems I know of in that size are Quartz, Topaz, and Spodumene, and rough for topaz and spodumene is rare or difficult to cut at this size.

Agates and Rose Quartz won't have the clarity to benefit from faceting at that size either, but if you are going with that low depth, you could have an interesting rose cut pattern.

Great suggestion on the Topaz, I've never heard of Spodumene but will look into it. Is there any specific locality of topaz known to be large. I know Faberge cut a large smokey topaz vase I've seen that must have been 18" tall and was clean so thats a great suggestion. I've never bought topaz before so will look into it. Rose Quartz from Mozambique is available in clear enough pieces (unlike the standard rose quartz from South Dakota and other localities). This is actually going to be very lightly faceted for a carving and is not going to be cut in the traditional way. It's for a carving as opposed to a traditional faceted piece.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:35 am 
Gold Member

I have plenty of quartz that will fit your requirements, rock crystal, smokey, citrine. Spodumene will give some cleavage issues. Amethyst is a common option, and I may some large enough as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:43 am 
Established Member

glhays wrote:
I have plenty of quartz that will fit your requirements, rock crystal, smokey, citrine. Spodumene will give some cleavage issues. Amethyst is a common option, and I may some large enough as well.

Thanks, I will reach out to you this week.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:13 pm 
Gold Member

Carver also asked me a similar question in an email. I will answer here in an open forum in case it benefits other members.

Here is the question.

Hello, a little while back you had commented regarding a large light color
60 carat aquamarine. You had mentioned the lighter ones are readily available in larger sizes for not that high in price. I was wondering how big do they get in the lighter but still clean to the eye sizes. What is the price range for them in the 60 carat light color size and is it possible to get huge light color ones that are maybe 200 carat for reasonably priced (up to ~5k?). I'm a carver and don't usually deal with gemstones like this and was interested in incorporating one into a design.

I frequently see large peices of light colored clean rough Aqua in the 40 + gram size. Price in this type of material depends a great deal on the peices suitability as a minera specimen. If it is a broken peice with out terminations, few or no crystal faces, and unatractive as a specimen the price can be very reasonable. It is not uncommon to see this material at well less than $20 per gram. and frequently as low as $5.00 per gram. This would mean a 200 carat peice would cost just a few hundred dollars. Well below you your $5k price target. You should be able to find them at any of the large mineral/gem shows such as Tucson.

For me, more interesting as a carving peices are the large transluecent peices (along the lines of top Rose Quartz) of various Beryl colors that are sold primarily for cabs and carving. These allow for more saturated colors colors, and provide interestiong textures for carving. These peices should also fit well in your price target.

I hope this was useful information for you.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:01 am 
Valued Contributor

thanks Steve. It would be interesting to find some cheap clear Aqua as a change from the Quarzes I usually cut. Hopefully there will be gem shows again this autum.
Munich should happen.

Martin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:44 pm 
Valued Contributor

Don't know where Carver is located, but the Denver fall show is coming up in September.

https://tucsongemshow101.com/denver-schedule-2022

Facetron x2
Polymetrics OMF
GemCad/GemRay/Gem Cut Studio
Matrix 9/Rhino 5, 6, 7
REVO A (still hanging on...)
B9 Creator Core 5 Series XL
Indutherm MC-15

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:11 pm 
Gold Member

You may want to contact the spectrum sunstone mine. They often seem to have enormous sunstones (without shiller) that are cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:21 pm 
Gold Member

Danburite(colorless, pink, yellow), Apatite(greenish-yellow, greenish-blue). The truth is many of these gems spoken are avaliable throughout the gem and mineral arenas. Upto 5k budgets makes many of them attainable.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:15 pm 

Very large rose quartz can make nice stones, it just needs to be the type with lighter levels of silk.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZw8mNOJ ... MyMTA2M2Y=

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:49 pm 
Established Member

Thanks everyone. My previous reply was never posted for some reason but thanks for the information. I will look into the colored topazes as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:42 pm 
Established Member

Why not synthetics? There's plenty out there that can be had in these sizes...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:41 pm 
Gold Member

CurazyJ wrote:

Please share. 2.5x2.5x.5in. In a circle.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:10 pm 

glhays wrote:
CurazyJ wrote:

Please share. 2.5x2.5x.5in. In a circle.

I have LuAG, colorless spinel and light pink sapphire that size.