January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Type 11a Golconda
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:40 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Last weekend , my not so favorite gem dealer was selling mounted old mine cut VS quality type 11a 's for 5 grand. Sizes from .5ct to almost 1.5ct. one price. After all the heat that I and others gave him with the red apatite claims, he seems to be providing a lot more documentation. His 2ct. Burma rubies all had Lotus( Richard Hughes) reports. Any of our diamond experts have any thoughts on these rare diamonds being sold so cheaply. He claims at least a 2 thousand dollar loss on each one.No ,I didn't buy one. https://livestream.com/accounts/3486453 ... /184816434 Diamonds start at about 52 min. mark.

Post subject: Re: Type 11a Golconda
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:47 pm 
Gold Member

Nicky Newark wrote:
Last weekend , my not so favorite gem dealer was selling mounted old mine cut VS quality type 11a 's for 5 grand. Sizes from .5ct to almost 1.5ct. one price. After all the heat that I and others gave him with the red apatite claims, he seems to be providing a lot more documentation. His 2ct. Burma rubies all had Lotus( Richard Hughes) reports. Any of our diamond experts have any thoughts on these rare diamonds being sold so cheaply. He claims at least a 2 thousand dollar loss on each one.No ,I didn't buy one. https://livestream.com/accounts/3486453 ... /184816434 Diamonds start at about 52 min. mark.

I watched the whole diamond part in amazement. One thing I noticed was that when he bought the rings in India they insisted on VS quality, and rejected all of the SI quality according to the story he told. But when he offered them for sale they were graded D-FL (not even IF). How do you grade mounted stones as D-FL? How do they get away with this?

Post subject: Re: Type 11a Golconda
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:33 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

1bwana1 wrote:
Nicky Newark wrote:

I watched the whole diamond part in amazement. One thing I noticed was that when he bought the rings in India they insisted on VS quality, and rejected all of the SI quality according to the story he told. But when he offered them for sale they were graded D-FL (not even IF). How do you grade mounted stones as D-FL? How do they get away with this?
Steve -the d/fl is the quality of the accent stones in the Kat Florence mountings. They are all her mountings with Kogen's center stones. i'm sure that there were some deals to be had but I just don't like Kogan's business practices. Some of the 2+ct. unheated pigeon blood Burma rubies mounted in platinum with 1ct+d/fl for 15K were good deals especially with a book form Lotus report. Some on the exact rings are on Kat's website for 60-80K. As far as the type 11a's, my guess not vs and not water white, but the bluish body color can be seen even on tv. I almost pulled the trigger on a . 1.31ct. in a platinum d/fl mount.(the old mine cut looked like a 3ct). For 5K , even if I used the mount for one of my stones it was probably good deal. The only problem is the guy selling gives me the creeps, even if he is selling below cost.https://www.katflorence.com