January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Nothing Lasts Forever
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:57 pm 
Site Admin

This is a film now showing on Showtime and everyone should watch it.
Brilliant!
I signed up for a 7 day Showtime free trial so I could see it on a large screen.
I'd love to hear reviews from our members if anyone gets the opportunity to view it.

Post subject: Re: Nothing Lasts Forever
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:07 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

one of the most important message in the movie was about Lab-Grown-Diamonds AKA LGD were being passed off as natural. specially in melees. most dealers and stores will get Lab Reports of bigger size diamonds but very few bother themselves to check the melees or even if they want they might not have the instruments and detectors.

Natural Diamond market is suffering due to the vast availability and cheap prices of lab-grown diamonds (LGDs). and if it was not enough GIA's grading of LGDs is confusing consumers even more, as they think that if it is graded the same as natural diamonds, it must be the same! grading LGD like Natural Diamonds only did legitimize LGD and devalues natural diamonds! this should never happened in the first place! Grading LGD is nonsense GIA should have only issued Identification Report for LGD, something needs to be done to prevent consumers from being misled. we are witnessing more and more fake GIA Reports or even Original Report for a LGD sold as Natural, these deceptive and fraudulent acts hurts everyone. right now only Rapaport/ Rapnet and Israel Diamond bourse are banning LGD to be trade in, Indian BKC is not banning anymore and Indian government just started to back LGD industry by giving loans and reducing electricity costs for LGD Manufacturer. in my opinion FTC needs to updates it's guidelines and make it more restrict for major labs like GIA/IGI. but these Labs are making huge money from Grading LGDs, sometimes the cost of the report (aka Certification in the trade) is even more than value of the LGD the report issued to! this is ridiculous.

I don't think LGD will replace Natural Diamonds but it will replace it's popular imitations like Moissanite & CZ. but it will create lots of fraud and problems all over the world.

by the way this is the trailer of the movie:
https://youtu.be/nHIGGdxZe64
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16317380/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:35 am 
Gold Member

The Lab Grown Diamond Genie is out of the box. There is no putting it back. There is nothing unique or rare about diamonds, mined or lab grown. Since the vast majority of the retailers in the World don't have neither the skills nor the equipment to tell the difference (the affordable detectors only tell if it is likely natural or lab, and suggest that stones be referred to industry labs for confirmation) the distinction becomes trivial to the consumer. I actually agree with this, and would never again buy a large mined diamond as an ornamental stone for my Wife. In fact I just bought here a 5 carat cushion and two matching 1 carat pear shapes while in Tucson because the cost was trivial at less than 2% of Rapp.. All three stones have GIA Reports. It would have been six figures in mined stones. It will make her a very nice ring. I will buy only mined diamond side stones to go with my natural colored stones, and insist on a report for them. No mixing for me.

Reports on lab Grown Diamonds are here to stay. You should see the building, and equipment that GIA has built here in Carlsbad to test for and evaluate small Lab Grown Diamonds. They haven't made this investment as a short term thing. It is here to stay.

The real question for me is whether the credibility that lab grown diamonds have achieved will eventually carry over to lab created colored stones with the consumer. Especially those grown in ways that closely resemble the natural process, and result in very believable finished stones. I suspect that this will be the case in many species over time. This is both an opportunity, and a risk, to keep ones eye on going forward.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:34 pm 
Established Member

@1bwana1., it is as you say:  I suspect that this will be the case in many species over time. This is both an opportunity, and a risk, to keep ones eye on going forward.
Well, for Amethyst and Citrin this is already sad truth since years, and my biggest issue with customers, in fact most people (at least here) still didn't realize that there are tons and tons of it in the trade without disclosure.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:49 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Also this video was interesting as it's same topic:
https://youtu.be/4lJDNgTE6mo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:22 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:43 pm 
Gold Member

The Lab Grown value proposition for most consumers grows as prices continue their rapid fall. Lab Grown at the dealer to dealer level has dissacociated from mined diamonds at this point. I no longer buy at some discount of Rap. I am now buying at indpendant price per carat. Recently I purchased 1 carat F- G -VS1-2, EX,EX,EX with GIA reports in the $400 range, and this week a 3.06 carat Cushion G-SI1 GIA report EX, EX, None for $625/carat.

Seriously why would anyone buy an everyday wear, ornamental Diamond, at the price of a mined stone. The only time I now insist on mined diamonds is for accent stones in a piec that features naturual color stones of significance.

Now the question becomes how long for the credibility, and desirability, take to spread to colored stones, where the savings can be even larger?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:41 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

I wouldn't think LGD will replace natural as man-made Sapphire/Rubies/Emerald didn't replace the natural. but I would say it will replace all diamond simulant and perhaps it will have many fashion line of jewelries too. Many people still prefer natural. the video about value of LGD vs Natural has been created by a LGD Person, it has some points in the way it compared but not in general. it's the same as other man-made gems. when you need it you have to pay the price but the resell market almost doesn't exist. soon production of LGD will be so much that it will have a fixed independent price not a rap % discount as natural have.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:22 pm 
Gold Member

roshanravan wrote:
soon production of LGD will be so much that it will have a fixed independent price not a rap % discount as natural have.

The point of my post is that is already the case. The prices are falling at an incredible pace. Now, what to do when they can grow type 1 diamonds?

I don't see it as a replacement for mined diamonds. I think it will become more like the Pearl market. There will always be a market for the mined stones. It will just be very small, and very expensive. Almost a collector thing. For ornamental peices like jewelry the large market will become Lab Grown.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

One caveat (at least one)

Natural pearls are truly rare.
Natural diamonds are not.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:35 pm 
Gold Member

Barbra Voltaire, FGG wrote:
One caveat (at least one)

Natural pearls are truly rare.
Natural diamonds are not.

That is very true.

The irony is that an artificial, man made market may be destroyed by a man made synthetic.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:16 pm 
Site Admin

1bwana1 wrote:
The irony is that an artificial, man made market may be destroyed by a man made synthetic.

Well said.