January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: GIA Diamond Dossier UPDATE
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

When the clock strikes midnight for the 2023 New Year, the GIA Diamond Dossier ® will officially be digital only.

Post subject: Re: GIA Diamond Dossier UPDATE
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:22 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

and All GIA Reports to Be Digital by 2025

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

Whatever happened to the GIA taking over AGS?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:45 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

trade is not happy with no print reports news, I guess old habits die hard! customers should also get informed and explained why there is no printed reports anymore and only GIA will benefit from this! not trade or consumer or even planet earth because people will print the report maybe multiple times now and there is nothing green about it
Barbra Voltaire, FGG wrote:
Whatever happened to the GIA taking over AGS?

this is the latest update i have got:
Quote:
October 20, 2022: An earlier headline incorrectly stated that the GIA was taking over AGS’s grading division. In fact, the AGS Laboratories grading operations will close, with the GIA taking over certain other elements of the organization, including research.

No more AGS around but doesn't mean the concept of light performance is dead there are other labs creating the same concept. the irony is the leading one is Sarine which they added Ideal parameters to their Sarin machine for AGS around 1995
more info on Sarine Light™ Performance Reports
Report Sample:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:14 pm 
Valued Contributor

It's not my place to comment, however I've provided the links below as a source of reference regarding the status of AGS:

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... merge-gia/

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... cut-grade/

* My posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:48 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

path914 wrote:
It's not my place to comment, however I've provided the links below as a source of reference regarding the status of AGS:

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... merge-gia/

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... cut-grade/

I am in the trade and personally never saw strong demands for a light performance report for round brilliant reports, the ideal cut by AGS was something else than light performance... this collaboration is not bad if it doesn't get discontinued like the GIA's Blockchain reports!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

You know what Farshid? I think that the whole blockchain emphasis placed on stones is another example of marketing hype.
I could be wrong, but it just seems like another ploy to jack up prices.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:48 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Barbra Voltaire, FGG wrote:
You know what Farshid? I think that the whole blockchain emphasis placed on stones is another example of marketing hype.
I could be wrong, but it just seems like another ploy to jack up prices.

literally every new tools/features are to convinced the end user to buy :mrgreen:

regarding the new Digitalization of the reports (no printing only PDF) after being fully affected in 2025! Imagine selling an expensive diamond to the client and tell them here is your 300000 GIA Certified Diamond (trade slang) and here is the it's report number and if you ever want to see the report go to http://www.gia.edu and enter the report number and verify the CAPTCHA and you are human, then download your PDF copy and print it! Enjoy the New Green initiative!

also GIA has a service called "REPORT VERIFICATION" to Confirm that your GIA report matches your stone. you Must submit diamond with the GIA Report. and they will issue a Letter accompanying original report (so much for going green!!!!) and they will charge 50% of applicable report fee (they make money over and over again. and in the end they are printing a letter!), GIA is also including a new downloadable Report Access Card for these new PDF only reports which when you check the reports online, you can download it along with the pdf and print it to give it to client! (so far there are lots of printing involved which all could be prevented if they just print the damn report!)

it seems like GIA is fully committed to go green and No Printing Report program, they are now marketing an instrument which is called GIA Match iD™ that reads the laser inscription on the girdle and sends the information to GIA so that GIA can compare the image of the inscription and its exact placement on the girdle and the exact measurement of same, as it was done at the laboratory in the beginning. GIA claim it’s full proof like a finger print. They are selling the machine for $600 They want to market these to retailers Worldwide so retailers can verify whether it’s a genuine diamond with a later inscription done at GIA or something that was counterfeited. and this is another way of GIA making money and retailers invest on a machine which can be useless in case if the diamond is bezel set or laser inscription under the prongs!

here is a video of the GIA Match iD™ Instrument:
https://players.brightcove.net/17993861 ... 6557502112
here is another interesting fact from GIA itself: https://www.gia.edu/gia-faq-diamond-gra ... -authentic
Quote:
How can I be sure that a GIA grading report is authentic?
All GIA reports contain security features such as a hologram, security screen and microprint lines that prevent them from being forged or duplicated. Also, GIA’s Report Check service can verify whether the information on the report matches what’s contained in our database.

now tell me how does this work with all these new Digitalization and no printing? there were already Counterfeit Inscriptions and even Counterfeit Printed reports to sell Lab Grown as natural, I personally know couple of dealers who got screwed. so much for being Green and None Profit 8)

I can see a future among wholesalers & dealers that there would be more demand even price difference between New (Digital only) and Old (with Printed Report) diamonds

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:34 pm 
Gold Member

Not trying to be facetious in this conversation. if I had sold this 300000 diamond maybe the sellers would download the report place it on a nice branded thumb drive with its adequate identification number, or email, text are options. If a digital report is all that is available for this stone. Almost everything these days are digital and not seeing it reverting anytime in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:32 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

glhays wrote:
Not trying to be facetious in this conversation. if I had sold this 300000 diamond maybe the sellers would download the report place it on a nice branded thumb drive with its adequate identification number, or email, text are options. If a digital report is all that is available for this stone. Almost everything these days are digital and not seeing it reverting anytime in the future.

when stores sell a really expensive Item it comes with a luxury box and bag and all the reports and certificates and appraisal in an envelope, the customer's confidence is enhanced by a physical tangible Report/Certificate. and even if we do provide the fancy thumb drive This causes additional cost plus printing which could have been avoided if they just have print the hard copy report!
although today we are dealing with all these crypto stuff how do you feel if you were handed the documents of your valuable assets in a memory thumb drive? not everyone would feel good about it.
I am actually developing a blockchain based database system for jewelry industry but it's act as a complimentary to the physical item and real documents and it's only a digital copy. even that when I explain it to the people raises so many eyebrows and people will react when they hear the world blockchain which in fact does not have nothing to do with crypto or NFT or anything else. it's just using a Decentralized blockchain ledger tech.

All in all, GIA's decision to go green will be result in extra printing and is not cost effective for the trade (retailers/wholesalers/dealers). To make it worse, the extra measures put in place to verify the authenticity of a diamond increases trade costs as well as adds time to the process. GIA's decision to go green may have good intentions but it is also having negative results in regards to wasted paper and cost implications for the trade.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:04 pm 
Gold Member

May be of interest to some!
https://youtu.be/qlXYUNmWolY
GIA https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=5222781149

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:55 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

New Update, back to printing
Quote:
Dear Valued Client:

Many of you have expressed your concerns to us about the challenges of integrating the digital-only GIA Diamond Dossier® into your processes.

We appreciate your candid and constructive feedback. After much consideration, we have decided to return to printed GIA Diamond Dossier reports beginning April 9. We did not adequately anticipate the potential difficulties of adopting the digital-only GIA Diamond Dossier report.

All diamonds in GIA laboratories on April 9 or submitted on or after that date for the Dossier service will be returned with a printed GIA Diamond Dossier report, which will look the same as those issued before the introduction of the digital-only report in January. GIA will, at no cost and upon request, provide a printed GIA Diamond Dossier to the original submitting client for diamonds that received a digital-only report. You may request a printed report for diamonds that received a digital-only report by emailing the original report number and the submitting client’s name to DossierRequest@gia.edu. The digital version of the report and the digital Report Access Card will remain available for those who prefer this format through the Report Check API and the GIA app.

We will continue to provide the printed reports that enhance consumer trust while also developing robust, secure and compelling digital versions of all our laboratory reports.

I recognize and appreciate that both the change to a digital-only Diamond Dossier and now the return to the printed report may have caused some disruption to your business, however we will continue to provide the necessary support throughout the supply chain to insure we satisfy the consumer’s needs. It continues to be our intention to create environmentally friendly and secure products.

Thank you very much for your understanding and continued support of GIA.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:05 pm 

Hmm, the diamond market is facing unprecedented challenges from bad press and lab stone competition. We're nominally a nonprofit but make a ton of money from diamond lab reports and rely on that income. What's a good move...oh, let's do something that makes our reports worse and that everyone will hate!
Backing off is a good move, but it's clear there are some serious issues with leadership at the gia.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:03 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

at Diamond Bourse we had several serious talk and meetings with them and we told them that just give the option if someone wants to print or not.
they heard us but still lots of things they should fix specially Grading Man-Made Diamonds.

I was at Costco the other day and I over heard one of the sales person who was trying to sell a a Lab Grown jewelry to the customer and he was saying: it's a real stone but made in the lab!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:43 am 

That could be correct from a terminology standpoint. 'Real' is not a differentiator between lab and natural. Making the big assumption that they were accurately representing the goods though.