January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: What's New in Tucson?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:08 pm 
Gold Member

I hope it is a new stable variety of Beryl. However, I am not willing to gamble until more is known about it.

I just checked all the Tourmaline that I did buy as Mozambique Cuprian. All checked out to have copper thankfully. One exceptional large purple red piece (about 50 grams, mostly clean), and a smaller traditionally colored purple/blue piece, that was offered to me as I was leaving the show, Not having time to confirm copper I offered crazy low so that I would be happy even without copper. Got lucky and my offer was accepted. Both pieces spectra checked out. Very happy.

I love rocks....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:52 am 
Valued Contributor

Some cobalt spinels from the new deposit in Baffin Island were offered for sale at GJX. Some cabs and specimens. All sold out pretty quickly from what I heard. I didn't had the chance to see the material, but it had a nice color apparently.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:04 pm 

I stopped to say hello to friends having a booth in the 22nd street showcase tent. A couple from the Santa Barbara area were there and showed two pieces of faceted lavender beryl. Both were lovely, one had a slight pinkish tone. The story was that they had gotten it as rough from someone who claimed to get it from the mine and that there was no treatment. There was plenty of doubt about that story.

Later I saw a couple of pieces of rough and several cut stones of this material at a booth in AGTA. These were not given any special presentation, in fact were stuck in a corner of the booth where the lighting poor so easy to miss.

I would have liked to get some rough like the faceted ones I saw first. However, the material that I found was too light or else way out of my budget, especially for something that may not have wide appeal. Looking at the rough, the color / gray change reminded me of looking at iolite.

Also, gray spinel seemed to be displayed at quite a few AGTA booths. And at GJX there were a lot of morganites with a brown tone. (Or else a lot of really bad lights.)