January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2013 Tucson Seminars for faceters
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:37 pm 
Gold Member

Hi Tucson faceters,
We have been working out the details for the 2013 Tucson USFG Faceters Seminars, and it finalized over the weekend. The date is Friday the 8th of February and this year we are beginning at 8:00am. We will continue to use the Old Pueblo Lapidary Club on the north side of town. As we get further along I will post the address, directions from downtown Tucson, and a map of the general area.

Our first presenter is Christopher P. Smith GG president of American Gemological Laboratories [AGL] in New York City. In North America, AGL is considered by many as the premier laboratory for colored gemstone analysis and reports.

With the proliferation of various treatments it is now becoming imperative for gem cutters to be aware of what they are handling, and if and or when a report should be generated so that we can protect ourselves. Chris will share with us pertinent information as to when and how a lab report should be implemented - whether for identification, country of origin, or treatments.

Chris will present at 8:00am for roughly 45 minutes with a short time for Q & A.

.... more to follow

http://www.rogerdery.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:07 pm 
Gold Member

From a pm today, someone asked why Chris Smith from AGL and not GIA to address the use of reports for colored gems? Well, GIA’s attentions are spread over a wide spectrum of industry issues. Whereas AGL is primarily focused on colored gems, their identification, their treatments, and country of origin.

As gem cutters, we need to know when it is the right time to go to a ‘higher source’ to validate what we know to be true. And with the widespread proliferation of treatments, I can’t see how we cannot have someone like AGL working on our behalf. Even with 32 years of experience handling color, I too am at risk. Chris will share with us when it is appropriate as to when and how a lab report should be implemented - whether you choose his lab or another.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:20 am 
Gold Member

Hi faceters,
Our second speaker for the 2013 Tucson USFG sponsored seminars is Al Gilberston, a researcher with GIA. Al will begin at 9:00am and run till approximately 11:00am.

Al will share with us regarding DiamCalc software which models virtual polished gemstones in GemCad’s ISO and COS, Fire Scope™, Ideal-Scope, Gilbertson lighting, ASET and a variety of modifiable realistic lighting environments.

DiamCalc can also create "movies" of a stone being rocked or other movements from side to side in those environments.

Diamcalc is used extensively as a cut modeling program for use in the diamond cutting industry for planning rough and designing new cuts. For background, Al will first demonstrate how it is used in the diamond cutting industry; followed by how it can be applied to improve and modify designs for colored stones from GemCad ASCI files (where the RI is modifiable). Al will discuss certain key elements for design that pertain to the dynamic appearance in finished gems.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:15 am 
Gold Member

Things are moving forward for the USFG seminars at the Old Pueblo Lapidary Club during the Tucson show. Here's the list of speakers and topics:

8:00am - Chris Smith, GG, President of American Gemological Laboratories, New York
~ when and how faceters should work with or submit gems for review and/or reports
*Chris has a lab to operate during the Tucson show, so he will need to exit promptly after the Q & A session is complete.

9:00am - Al Gilbertson, GG, Research Associate, Gemological Institute of America
~ will discuss how to integrate information between GemCad and DiamCalc software programs, and how it will benefit the faceter. Further info will be published in the USFG newsletter in the December issue regarding Al's presentation. This session will run close to 2 hours.

11:00am - Dalan Hargrave, multiple AGTA Cutting Edge Award Winner
~ Concave Cutting - This session includes some theory and step by step demonstrations with several machines and arrangements. This would be especially good for beginners through intermediate cutters.

12:30pm lunch break

1:30pm - Michiko Huynh, USFG Grand Master award winning faceter
~ - regarding performing a competition cut, and how to compete [more info will also be placed in the December USFG newsletter]

3:00pm - Dalan Hargrave, multiple AGTA Cutting Edge Award Winner
~ making the Fantasay Cut - This lesson will include some theory with demonstrations on a wide variety of current machines and accessories to accomplish your wildest Fantasy Cut. This is for more advanced cutters or those who simply want to learn about the processes.

*I've received over 30 emails regarding the presentations. As a FYI, even though the seminars are sponsored by the United States Faceters Guild, and are open to all faceters at no charge, preferential treatment will be given to dues paying members in good standing.

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:24 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hi Roger, Any possibility of scheduling the faceting demos after AGTA & GJX close on Feb 10th? I am an exhibitor at the latter show and as a result, we aren't able to attend day events until after the 10th.
Thanks!
Reema

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:59 pm 
Gold Member

gemmy123 wrote:
Hi Roger, Any possibility of scheduling the faceting demos after AGTA & GJX close on Feb 10th? I am an exhibitor at the latter show and as a result, we aren't able to attend day events until after the 10th. Thanks!
Reema
Reema, it is no easy task to try and bring this many people from within the trade together for a training scenario such as we've done. Our best hope for largest participation is when the greatest number of shows are open. Having our events after the two major shows have closed, would defeat the purpose.

Some other options you may consider:
a - contacting the individual presenters and see if they would oblige your request by delivering an additional presentation at another venue after the 10th
b - figure out some way to extricate yourself from your show to attend anyway
c - replace me [for Tucson 2014] and take over the programming for next year; [am not joking, as I agreed to perform this function for 3 years ending 2013]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:37 pm 

Thanks Roger.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:58 pm 
Gold Member

ROGER DERY wrote:
c - replace me [for Tucson 2014] and take over the programming for next year; [am not joking, as I agreed to perform this function for 3 years ending 2013]
To add some clarity to my absence next year, I will be in Moscow for the 2014 Olympic Winter Games before and after Tucson is going on.

Therefore, we will need someone to step up and take over the reins of the Seminar program for USFG. You do not HAVE to be a USFG member, but it is likely useful if you are. It is a non-paying volunteer position. If interested, can approach one of the USFG board members and see if you are a good fit.

*Peter - you are 1st up :P

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:53 am 
Gold Member

Hey gem cutters ~
Since we first announced the seminars a few months ago, we've taken numerous emails, pm's, and phone calls regarding the seating arrangement. That is, the queries are regarding the seating arrangement for both of Dalan's presentations. Seems everyone wants to have ''front-row-seating''.

Well as this is not possible, we've been working on a solution. His presentations will last roughly 90 minutes. Looks like we can accommodate 3 circular rows around his demonstration space. Therefore, it seems reasonable that we shall rotate at the 30 minute mark so that each group or row can have a shot at viewing the demo up close. If you happen to sit in on both sessions (knowing they will be different presentations), you will have two opportunities to be up front.

As I understand it, there were some who were planning on "camping out" in front of where Dalan will present. Please know that this unnecessary as everyone will have a fair shot at viewing close up.

ROGER DERY wrote:
Things are moving forward for the USFG seminars at the Old Pueblo Lapidary Club during the Tucson show. Here's the list of speakers and topics:

8:00am - Chris Smith, GG, President of American Gemological Laboratories, New York
~ when and how faceters should work with or submit gems for review and/or reports
*Chris has a lab to operate during the Tucson show, so he will need to exit promptly after the Q & A session is complete.

9:00am - Al Gilbertson, GG, Research Associate, Gemological Institute of America
~ will discuss how to integrate information between GemCad and DiamCalc software programs, and how it will benefit the faceter. Further info will be published in the USFG newsletter in the December issue regarding Al's presentation. This session will run close to 2 hours.

11:00am - Dalan Hargrave, multiple AGTA Cutting Edge Award Winner
~ Concave Cutting - This session includes some theory and step by step demonstrations with several machines and arrangements. This would be especially good for beginners through intermediate cutters.

12:30pm lunch break

1:30pm - Michiko Huynh, USFG Grand Master award winning faceter
~ - regarding performing a competition cut, and how to compete [more info will also be placed in the December USFG newsletter]

3:00pm - Dalan Hargrave, multiple AGTA Cutting Edge Award Winner
~ making the Fantasay Cut - This lesson will include some theory with demonstrations on a wide variety of current machines and accessories to accomplish your wildest Fantasy Cut. This is for more advanced cutters or those who simply want to learn about the processes.

*I've received over 30 emails regarding the presentations. As a FYI, even though the seminars are sponsored by the United States Faceters Guild, and are open to all faceters at no charge, preferential treatment will be given to dues paying members in good standing.

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:55 am 
Gold Member

Faceters,
The Old Pueblo Lapidary Club has again this year, obliged our request to use their clubhouse to house the USFG's panel of presenters. And for this we are most grateful. The location of the building is such that it is located in a residential area. And, due to this, we ask that you be respectful of their neighbors property.

If it is possible, please look for opportunities to share a ride with others as parking will be at a premium.

Thank you for your consideration.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:11 am 
Gold Member

While space may be limited at the Old Pueblo Lapidary Club, it will be enough to easily contain our seminars. Especially for Dalan's where we are currently expecting over 40 participants to be surrounding his machines.
ImageAt the front delivering a presentation on marketing yourself as a faceter, is Wayne Emery.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:48 pm 

Hi Roger,
When is the USFG seminars day this year? Also, do we have to sign up for the hob nob dinner or just show up?
Thanks!
Reema Keswani

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:55 pm 

hey Roger,
I think I figured out that the USFG seminars are on the 8th of Feb. Apologies for the error. Now, I'm confused about the date of the hob nob- the 8th or the 9th? Is there a need to rsvp?
Thanks again,
Reema

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:18 am 
Gold Member

gemmy123 wrote:
hey Roger,
I think I figured out that the USFG seminars are on the 8th of Feb. Apologies for the error. Now, I'm confused about the date of the hob nob- the 8th or the 9th? Is there a need to rsvp? Thanks again, Reema

Reema,
The seminars take place on Friday the 8th, daytime.

The HobNob takes place on Saturday the 9th, evening, beginning at 6:00pm, ending at 9:00pm.

If you care to re-read this thread, early on it describes the physical location as well. There won't be any one to answer a phone to offer directions.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:06 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Roger, is there a sign-up list or anything? I am late to this thread, wondering if there is still room for me to attend?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next