Gemology Online Veteran

Thanks for sharing , Mohmand !

*The polishing of the table is not perfect: we can see streaks

"I always believed in being myself"- Thelonious Monk

Post subject: Re: Burmese Spinel
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:56 pm 
Gold Member

Nice material.

As it is it would be hard to sell that stone in most markets.

The stone should be brought up to international polishing standards with very little weight loss. Certainly be able to keep it above the two carat size.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:01 pm 
Valued Contributor

Just curious- which polish to use? We don't have the diamond paste here in the country. Tried hard finding it but couldn't. Would normal metal polish do?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:25 pm 
Gold Member

Mohmand,
Sri Lanka has been cutting and polishing Sapphire and Spinel for years, not able to find polish is a stretch excuse. This stone is just poorly done, needs some experienced help by an experienced cutter that's all. Taking it to the jewelry buffer with metal polish isn't going to give it what it deserves.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:41 pm 
Valued Contributor

@glhays I don't live in Sri Lanka and neither have I ever travelled there my friend. I live in Pakistan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:35 pm 
Gold Member

Doesn't change the fact of the polish my friend.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:48 pm 
Gold Member

The proper diamond polishing grit is available World Wide. That includes Pakistan which actually does have some modern cutting shops. I see many well polished stones coming out of Pakistan.

The stone is being represented as Burma origin. Many high quality stones are cut in Burma as well. If your stone did come from Burma it seems reasonable that you could source diamond polish from there as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:49 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hmmmm... I tried searching but didn't get much. Perhaps I need to look around a bit more. But thanks anyway for the pointer @1bwana1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:36 pm 
Gold Member

Here is a place in Thailand that will likely ship to you.

https://sachitools.com/all-products/gem ... der-0-0-25

The standard polish for corundum and spinel is 01-2 micron (often listed as 14,000 grit).

As you can see it only costs about $3.01 for 10 carats. Than is enough to do perhaps thousands of stones depending on size and type.

Of course you will need someone with the knowledge and equipment to use it properly.

I am willing to bet that any of the decent quality cutting shops in Pakistan have both the equipment and powder already in house.

Here are some links in Pakistan.
https://dailytimes.com.pk/481682/pakist ... -treasure/

These guys will know who you need to talk to. http://www.pakistangemlab.com/

It seems like efforts are being made to improve the industry. https://mettisglobal.news/malaysian-gem ... s-industry

There are good sized gem and mineral shows operating in Pakistan. They will have an organization whose members have the equipment and knowledge you say you can't find there.

http://apcea.com.pk/
http://mofa.gov.pk/20th-pakistan-gem-mi ... islamabad/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q66crSZe0b8

These and many other resources came up immediately with a simple web search. When you say things that just don't add up, and you often post stones with big claims about them it makes me wonder if there are ulterior motives involved. Such as trying to show stones, pretending ignorance, in hopes of selling the stones to someone hoping to take advantage?

Here is a list of dozens of people in Pakistan with all the knowledge you need.

http://apcea.com.pk/directory.php#34

Like I said in only took me a couple of minutes to find a lot of references you say you cannot find.

Hmmmm................. We are serious gemologists on this site. We don't like when we are being conned.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:47 pm 
Gold Member

Hmmmmmm? I started to say that as well, but my feeling was Hmmmmmm, my friend is touchy so I better not.
Looking to sell that stone? I might be interested, looks to be a easy fix and probably can help the color and brilliance at the same time.
But first lets make sure it is actually Spinel regardless of it may be Burmese.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:19 am 
Valued Contributor

@ 1bwana1 @glhays Not sure what I did or said to get you both into a tizzy. Relax gentlemen, calm down. I am not an expert like you guys and neither am I a con who wants to sell stones. If I had intended to sell stones, there are sites like eBay or Amazon where I would have put them up for sale, not on this forum. I joined this to gain knowledge about gemstones b/c I like these but don't have much expertise in them. So no need to make hilarious and dodgy assumptions.

In this post, I learned that the stone in question is not well-polished. Had no idea what a cutting and polishing grit is! Only knowledge I had was of diamond paste used for polishing stones which I shared, one that I couldn't find in any hardware store that I looked for. So the hmmm.... was in context of finding that paste. Anyway, thank you for the pointers.

But gentlemen, AVOID POSTING RUDE comments. How would you feel if I were to label you a con without any proof? Where have you witnessed me conning somebody? Respectfully stated, no need to don the Sherlock Holmes cap and try your hand at making assumptions. Obviously you both are poor at that. Simply put, if you disapprove of something, better to remain quiet than trying to denigrate somebody without even knowing him or her. I respect the opinion of everyone on this forum, regardless of their caste, creed or nationality. Expect others to do the same.

Thank you. Have a good day.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:34 am 
Gold Member

Mohmand wrote:
@ 1bwana1 @glhays Not sure what I did or said to get you both into a tizzy.

The internet is full of people who misrepresent themselves to gain advantage. You often come on this site making claims about stones. When you are given advise about what to do, you claim that being in Pakistan your access to knowledge, credible gemologists, equipment, and quality cutters is limited. We all know that is absolutely not the case. Everything that you claim is not available is in fact freely available in Pakistan. A simple search on the internet as I did proves that.

These kinds if inaccurate representations understandably raises suspicions among those of us who know better.

Surely you must see that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:37 pm 
Valued Contributor

"The internet is full of people who misrepresent themselves to gain advantage". Sorry but that's not an excuse for what you stated above, which was pretty derogatory. As for gemology and gemologists in Pakistan, understand that they are nowhere near the top quality. There is no GIA lab here, and neither any which can come near to it. That means that it could be difficult to really gauge the quality of the stone. You pointed out that this particular stone would need polish, but that's not necessarily what I'd expect to hear from gemologists here. When I showed this stone to a gemologist here, he confirmed it as Spinel, but never said anything about polishing it. In short, you'd only understand the issues if you were here. And as I've emphasized many a times on this forum, I share these because obviously there are other enthusiasts like me who'd like to come across these.

And I am not the only one whose posts contain queries or info about a certain gemstone. There are others too, but haven't seen anybody being branded a 'con'. So not sure what caused all the commotion and brain fade? 'Surely you must see that'!

Anyway, thank you again for the links. Perhaps these would be more helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

Take it down a notch, Mohmand. Feel fortunate that you have industry professionals who are telling the truth in an attempt to improve your lapidary and gemological knowledge.

I don't cut gems, but I do appraise them.
This gem is not vivid as suggested by the poster on YouTube. Tone is very dark and I fear it would completely black out when mounted.
Could this be improved with cutting, possibly.

You post a lot of gems on this platform which fall a bit short of being top tier.
May I suggest a book for you to read?
Secrets of the Gem Trade, by Richard Wise.

It will teach you to look at gemstones with a more educated eye.