Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Colorado Topaz
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:36 am 
Valued Contributor

anything unique about these? :roll:
I am seen online asking prices that doesn't make any sense to me.
they usually have very pale color ,and topaz is widely available in huge sizes,in many locations worldwide.
I have a parcel that I wanted to post for sale for resonable price, but after seen the prices people asking I am thinking maybe I am missing something here?

Post subject: Re: Colorado Topaz
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:40 pm 
Gold Member

There are several locations.
The one near Colorado Springs: The story I was told was that the claim used to be owned by a mineral club who let anyone go look for free. Then a man broke the claim, because it had said the topaz was "placer" which it was not, and charged everyone to come. (He did use heavy equipment to break up the rotten granite.) Then he started saying that you had to pay him (rather high) fees to cut any topaz you wanted to keep (or at least the biggest piece you found.) I got in before he charged for cutting, so I got quite a bit of it. It was pale blue or colorless, the stuff I found.
I think any high prices would just be because of location, rather than quality.

Then there are the ones that were found on the claim which was on TV. You have the inflated prices for those sherry topaz (which will fade in the sun) because they were found on TV. They do sell those at Tuscon, and the prices are high - but since people saw them being found, they do command a premium.

Which do you have?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:06 pm 
Valued Contributor

dchallener wrote:
There are several locations.
The one near Colorado Springs: The story I was told was that the claim used to be owned by a mineral club who let anyone go look for free. Then a man broke the claim, because it had said the topaz was "placer" which it was not, and charged everyone to come. (He did use heavy equipment to break up the rotten granite.) Then he started saying that you had to pay him (rather high) fees to cut any topaz you wanted to keep (or at least the biggest piece you found.) I got in before he charged for cutting, so I got quite a bit of it. It was pale blue or colorless, the stuff I found.
I think any high prices would just be because of location, rather than quality.

Then there are the ones that were found on the claim which was on TV. You have the inflated prices for those sherry topaz (which will fade in the sun) because they were found on TV. They do sell those at Tuscon, and the prices are high - but since people saw them being found, they do command a premium.

Which do you have?

I don't know where exactly it was mined I just know that its from the colorado area. have both pale blue/greenish blue and a few pale brownish.facet grade,15-45ct pcs same quality as the material usualy found in pakistan.
I am hearing the story... still don't see the extra value.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:47 pm 

Some of the material from there has very nice color in the pink-sherry range, and it has some unusual locality value. The Pakistan material is abundant and browns are also widely irradiated--not all of thrm but nevertheless it probably harshes some buyers' buzz.
Locality adding value isn't an unusual concept in gems and minerals in general. It's a collection thing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:56 pm 
Gold Member

Yes the unreal reality TV value pricing concept. Someone needs to pay for those miles high walks up Mt. Antero twice daily, or better yet the the fuel for the helicopter being used. Just being a bit envious here. :-?