Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: spinels
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:30 am 
Established Member

Hi,
I would like to know where can I get help : I am looking for an idea about the quantity of production of gem quality spinels by year... And trying to get an idea of the production and cosumption for the lasts few years. (Essai about spinel).
So...
Thanks a lot,

Carmer

Post subject: Re: spinels
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:44 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Carmer,

that question is very hard to impossible to answer. As far as I understand the gemstone trade nowadays there is no such thing as a statistic that counts every spinel from every deposit that has gem quality and enters the suppply chain.

Since spinels do occur in many deposits in different world regions, I even would bet a buck on the fact that any rough estimate on the number of them is similar to taking a guess or picking a random choice.

Maybe you could get the number of a single deposit/mine, but I doubt anyone knows the world production...
That´s only my 5 cents on that, maybe other fellows on the board can add something helpful.

All the best for your essay Carmer!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:28 am 

Carmer,

absolute production numbers will be impossible to get but what you can do is contact as many vendors as possible and ask them what demand has done for them over the last few years. This can be done in percentages so that they don't have to share their business data. If you contact a hundred you may get one or two replies... Making it easy on them by preparing a well thought through questionnaire which shouldn't take them more than 5 minutes to answer might get you a bigger response. Keep it simple... have 'm tick boxes, answer with yes or no and give percentages.... Make it clear you are doing this for your study...

good luck! :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:54 pm 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

Nikolaus Lackner wrote:
...Since spinels do occur in many deposits in different world regions, I even would bet a buck on the fact that any rough estimate on the number of them is similar to taking a guess or picking a random choice.

Maybe you could get the number of a single deposit/mine, but I doubt anyone knows the world production...

hi carmer!!

you may want to check out vincent's field gemmology blog and richard hughes' website, "ruby-sapphire.com" --both are posted on the left-hand side of the forum for info on spinel-mine locations, production, etc... and excellent reading, too!!
then please check out robert genis' website @ preciousgemstones.com, news @ palagems.com, and gemval (please read how the gemval site gathers data/statistics from the prices of gemstones on the internet)
http://gemval.com/history.php?page=hist ... =19&term=2 and diamonds.net
please try searching for spinel mining/production/prices, etc...

burmese spinel and mahenge spinel are the trend right now for collectors and consumers, i believe.

for burma gem statistics and sales, please see the chart on this page for burmese spinel:
http://www.palagems.com/gem_news_burma_stats.php

oh, and please check out gemology schools and gem laboratories news/research for information, too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:45 am 
Established Member

Hi everybody!

Thanks a lot for your answers.
Indeed, I read vincent's field gemmology blog and richard hughes' website. Very good, a real pleasure.
With all of yours ideas, I have right now a new way to go head, I did not think about !
But sometimes, you get some informations about the production on different kind of stones (i.e. zircon, ...).
So, I should be almost there...

Have a nice day,

Carmer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:27 am 
Site Admin

When you find an answer, Carmer, please post it here.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:59 pm 
Established Member

Hi Barbara,

The link from gingerkid "gemval.com" is very interessant because of an idea about the prices. I will try to get more informations, indeed, but I think people on the forum are right, I need to focus on a cup of dealers... And check with some gem newspapers too. We never know!

Have a nice day,

Carmer