January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: A huge zircon both have tenebrescent and color change effect
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:47 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

This is a 20.9ct zircon with tenebrescent and slight cholor change effects.The origin of this zircon is unknown, but it is believed to be from East Africa.

After several hours of storage in the dark, its color in daylight is a bright orange-red before rapidly turning orange-brown. Color saturation is also lightened slightly.

Its color change under incandescent lamps and photographic lamps is similar to that under sunlight, and the color will be redder under incandescent lamps.

Its color will be very different under LED light source and fluorescent light.Under such light sources, its initial color is orange-brown and turns brown after a period of time.

I tried to irradiate this zircon with a variety of light sources, and found that as long as the light intensity is sufficient, it can trigger tenebrescent.But low light (such as cloudy or dusk or insufficiently bright lights) will not cause a noticeable color change.When the color is changed by strong light, put it in a dark environment for about 2 hours to restore the original color.

As far as I know, the tenebrescent zircon has more colors. My friend has a collection of two tenebrescent zircons that turn from golden yellow to brown. I also saw tenebrescent zircon in which brownish red becomes colorless and blue becomes dark green when I checked the materials.

As for the color change effect of zircon, it seems that only blue-to-green zircon from Myanmar has been confirmed by mainstream institutions. Such zircons are gray-blue in sunlight and turn gray-green under incandescent lighting. I once owned one.The color of zircon described in this article will also change under different light sources, but its color under sunlight is similar to that under incandescent lamps, and there will be more obvious changes under LED lamps and fluorescent lamps: the red tone is significantly reduced And a more pronounced brown tone appears. This phenomenon is different from the color change effect in the strict sense, so it is difficult to determine its nature.

PS:Please bear with my poor English.

Attachments:
MTXX_MH20230531_011728038_011935.jpg
MTXX_MH20230531_011728038_011935.jpg [ 5.48 MiB | Viewed 1775 times ]
 Post subject: Re: A huge zircon both have tenebrescent and color change ef
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 1:19 am 

This is my first post so I'd like to begin by saying hello to everyone.And I have another question to ask: the former owner of this zircon did not find its tenebrescent effect, and submitted it to the GIA lab as an orange-red zircon and obtained a certificate. Its special effects are not stated on the certificate.
Now I want to resubmit it to GIA lab as a tenebrescent zircon, can I get a certificate that can reflect the tenebrescent effect?

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 4:28 pm 

Sanssouci wrote:
This is a 20.9ct zircon with tenebrescent and slight cholor change effects.The origin of this zircon is unknown, but it is believed to be from East Africa.

After several hours of storage in the dark, its color in daylight is a bright orange-red before rapidly turning orange-brown. Color saturation is also lightened slightly.

Its color change under incandescent lamps and photographic lamps is similar to that under sunlight, and the color will be redder under incandescent lamps.

Its color will be very different under LED light source and fluorescent light.Under such light sources, its initial color is orange-brown and turns brown after a period of time.

I tried to irradiate this zircon with a variety of light sources, and found that as long as the light intensity is sufficient, it can trigger tenebrescent.But low light (such as cloudy or dusk or insufficiently bright lights) will not cause a noticeable color change.When the color is changed by strong light, put it in a dark environment for about 2 hours to restore the original color.

As far as I know, the tenebrescent zircon has more colors. My friend has a collection of two tenebrescent zircons that turn from golden yellow to brown. I also saw tenebrescent zircon in which brownish red becomes colorless and blue becomes dark green when I checked the materials.

As for the color change effect of zircon, it seems that only blue-to-green zircon from Myanmar has been confirmed by mainstream institutions. Such zircons are gray-blue in sunlight and turn gray-green under incandescent lighting. I once owned one.The color of zircon described in this article will also change under different light sources, but its color under sunlight is similar to that under incandescent lamps, and there will be more obvious changes under LED lamps and fluorescent lamps: the red tone is significantly reduced And a more pronounced brown tone appears. This phenomenon is different from the color change effect in the strict sense, so it is difficult to determine its nature.

PS:This is my first post so I'd like to begin by saying hello to everyone.Please bear with my poor English.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 4:47 pm 

This is the color change zircon from Myanmar which I once collected, about 15 carats.

It turns gray-blue in sunlight to gray-green in incandescent lighting. SSEF believes that this color change zircon is obtained by heating a type of brown-green zircon.

Attachments:
1057423384_041048.jpg
1057423384_041048.jpg [ 214.2 KiB | Viewed 1682 times ]
1059268502_041042.jpg
1059268502_041042.jpg [ 207.87 KiB | Viewed 1682 times ]