January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Recomendations for purchasing a Gem Microscope
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:46 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hey there! I'm inquiring advice on a reputable Gem Microscope. I did a quick research and had no idea that they are a little pricey. So I'm raising my budget to $2800.

So, if you could kindly recommend one or several for me, I'd gladly appreciate it. I'm ready to buy one today. Any and all tips and advice are welcomed!

Thank you for taking a minute of your time to read my post,
Anita

Post subject: Re: Recomendations for purchasing a Gem Microscope
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 3:06 pm 

Personally I've enjoyed mine from AmScope, an american company. I picked up a nice model there but it ended up a little more than what you're asking for but they had other models that were less expensive. I personally knew that having a camera option to mine would be useful for building trust with clients so I made sure to get a trinocular one but if you don't need that option you can get a binocular version and it would serve you well. The GIA and Gem-A also sell their own versions if I remember so if you want some other good ones you can take a look there. I've also heard some good things about the GemOro ones but they didn't appeal to me in the end.

The majority of the work will come from you knowledge and expertise on gems and gemmology so as long as you get a nice binocular microscope that has both a light on top and bottom (ideally with a darkfield and brightfield option / filter on the bottom) and has a reasonable zoom range (something like 0.5x - 45x will be usually more than enough) then you will be well served by the microscope and you'll be able to use it for a while.

If you have the patience and are looking for a deal, get in contact with a local gemmology organization and ask if they have any members that are retiring and you might be able to get the microscope and/or other tools used but in good condition at really good prices. I know the CGA sends an email from time to time of a member retiring or getting rid of their equipment at a good price

Good luck and if you have more specific questions then post them here and I'm sure others would be happy to help as well.