Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Apply to GIA’s Liddicoat Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:30 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:

Karen Smit, a postdoctoral researcher for GIA from 2014-2016, is a research scientist at GIA. She is using a Scanning Electron Microscope to image a sample's shape or composition and see the internal growth structure of diamond. Photo by Jian Xin (Jae) Liao/GIA.

The Richard T. Liddicoat Postdoctoral Research Associate Fellowship program was created in 2014 to honor of GIA’s former president, who was widely considered the “Father of Modern Gemology.” The one-to-two year fellowships encourage early career scientists to pursue full-time academic research in mineralogy, geology, physics, materials science and other fields related to gemology – the study of diamonds, colored gemstones, pearls and their treatment. Diamond research activities consider fundamental scientific problems in diamond geology, defect physics and synthesis.

The specific focus of the program is tailored to each fellow’s interest, expertise and the needs of the GIA research laboratories, which are fully equipped with professional instruments for performing techniques including spectrometry, chemical analysis, and X-ray imaging; GIA also facilitates access to outside research facilities.

Research fellows and the Institute’s experienced researchers and gemologists work side-by-side to explore and learn from the gems that come into GIA’s lab.

The fellowship includes a competitive annual stipend ($60,000+), research funding and travel subsidies for approved offsite research work. Benefits include full health, dental and vision insurance, and the potential reimbursement of relocation expenses. Appointments are for one year and may be extended for a second year based on mutual agreement.

Applicants must have received their Ph.D. in a relevant field by the start date and preferably within the last three years. Effective oral and written English skills and the ability to publish high-level scientific articles are required. Candidates should be willing to travel domestically and internationally as needed. Applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a publications list, a three-to-five page research proposal and at least two letters of reference.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:

Primarily conduct focused research into fundamental scientific problems related to mineralogy, crystallography, geochemistry and gemology of diamonds; various type of colored gem stones (corundum, beryl, spinel, garnet, quartz); pearls; and possibly related gem-instrument development. Diamond research includes fundamental scientific problems in diamond geology, diamond physics and synthetic diamond growth mechanisms, and other scientific problems related to gemology.

The specific focus of the research will depend on the applicant’s interests, expertise, and the needs of GIA research and the laboratory
Performs analysis utilizing spectrometers, chemical analysis, X-ray imaging systems, and other research tools
Presentation and publication of research results in international conference and academic journals, internally and externally
Additional daily activities may involve assisting with data collection and interpretation
Other duties and responsibilities as assigned or required

Technical Competencies (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities):

Ability to communicate with scientific staff and prepare written scientific articles for publication in English
Willingness to travel as needed domestically or internationally as needed are strongly desired

Education and Experience:

Ph.D. in scientific field from accredited college or university, preferably within the last 3 years
Relevant proposal for research work
Effective communication in English with scientific and production staff
The ability to prepare written scientific articles for publication, and a willingness to travel domestically or internationally as needed are strongly desired

Find out how to apply for a research fellowship. For more information about the program and its requirements, please email: researchcareers@gia.edu

Post subject: Re: Apply to GIA’s Liddicoat Postdoctoral Research Fellowshi
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:59 am 
Valued Contributor

What a great opportunity!
It's a bit late for me career wise, and I can't afford the cut in pay.
It would be fun to be able to do research, and not have the constant pressure to produce.
Still, I can't complain. I feel like I'm paid to play all day!
I hope someone will be able to take advantage of this great opportunity.
Thanks for listing this, Barbra!

-Tom

Post subject: Re: Apply to GIA’s Liddicoat Postdoctoral Research Fellowshi
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:29 pm 

If only I'd just gotten a PhD instead of a masters. Who knows, maybe I'll have another go 'round the academic loop.