Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Career Advice for Gemmology
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:08 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hello, fellow gemstone enthusiasts,
I am Urja Zaveri from India. I am currently pursuing third-year in Bachelors of Science with majors in Earth Science and minor in Physics. I have particularly been interested in gemstones and crystals since always and to further gain insight into the subject have also pursued the gemmology course with GEM-A. I shall be obtaining the diploma course results in a few months, after which I shall successfully obtain the FGA title of Gemmology.
I will be finishing my graduation next April and plan on pursuing mineralogy or Gemmology suited fields.
I would love to have suggestions from fellow gemmologists if they think doing an internship/job would be a good idea or continuing studies for my masters would be more suited for me. My future target is to be able to work at a reputed Gemological Laboratory or go into research in the field of mineralogy.

Post subject: Re: Career Advice for Gemmology
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:17 pm 
Valued Contributor

I have been a Gemologist for over 50 years. I earned a B.F.A. in visual arts and a B.S. in Gemological Illustration from the University of Texas at Austin in 1960's. During that time I took Correspondence G.I.A. and earned a G.G. Education gave me a "Certificate of Exposure" in my field of interest. Much has changed sense 1970's.

Gemology on Line is a marvel of Ideas, condition, and opinions. We have had outstanding members, who bravely fought physical stet-backs that inspired me to note their courage and leadership in bettering Gemology!

I use self humor to defuse my own battles. After a heart attack, I was no longer fast,but half-fast. I told my cancer surgeon that I no longer had a foot and half of large colon, but a semi-colon. We believe we got it all.I am told that I will have a bright future with check ups.

At 78 years young, I plan to continue contributing to Gemology on Line.
I plan to offer up my Gemological equipment, rare books, research, minerals, and A. I. database to assist members do gemological research.
and a Master set of diamonds graded by G.I.A. as split grades.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:02 pm 
Established Member

If you are offered a related internship/job, take it.

You can never guarantee such opportunities will come around again, but the option for further study will always be there - so long as you have the funds for it at that moment in time.

However, also keep in mind that labs tend to prefer "scientists that branch into gemology" rather than "gemologists that branch into science", so you will likely need to expand your B(Sc) into Masters and even PHD study eventually.

In most industries, a Bachelors is not enough to do much besides teaching.

However, again, grab any hands-on experience you can as a priority, and the ongoing academic progression can wait until such opportunities are no longer forthcoming.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:08 am 
Site Admin

Hey Simon, good hearing from you. :) Hope all is going well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:02 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

winstone wrote:
I have been a Gemologist for over 50 years. I earned a B.F.A. in visual arts and a B.S. in Gemological Illustration from the University of Texas at Austin in 1960's. During that time I took Correspondence G.I.A. and earned a G.G. Education gave me a "Certificate of Exposure" in my field of interest. Much has changed sense 1970's.

Gemology on Line is a marvel of Ideas, condition, and opinions. We have had outstanding members, who bravely fought physical stet-backs that inspired me to note their courage and leadership in bettering Gemology!

I use self humor to defuse my own battles. After a heart attack, I was no longer fast,but half-fast. I told my cancer surgeon that I no longer had a foot and half of large colon, but a semi-colon. We believe we got it all.I am told that I will have a bright future with check ups.

At 78 years young, I plan to continue contributing to Gemology on Line.
I plan to offer up my Gemological equipment, rare books, research, minerals, and A. I. database to assist members do gemological research.
and a Master set of diamonds graded by G.I.A. as split grades.

It's always nice to read real life experience.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:54 pm 
Gold Member

Can you expound what an A. I. database is? I assume it is not artificial intelligence?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:09 pm 
Site Admin

I haven't heard from Winstone in awhile. Hope he sees this!