A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: looking for a job as a gemologist in any gemological lab
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:14 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Thu wrote:
Hello everybody
I am from Burma I also have a few experience in working gemological laboratory and gems trading
I am graduate gemologist from GIA"London"
I really would like to work in gemological lab in other country not in my country
because working as a gemologist in gemological lab is my dream job
My family business is trading gems based in burma especially trade with thailand and HK
I believe working in other coutries could get a lots of contacts for trading.
any suggesting is welcome
thanks

Hi i am indo you can email me at shafaz09@yahoo.com
i guess there might be a chance for you to run lab service job or etc
thanks
indo (shaheen) :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:53 pm 

indo wrote:
Thu wrote:
Hello everybody
I am from Burma I also have a few experience in working gemological laboratory and gems trading
I am graduate gemologist from GIA"London"
I really would like to work in gemological lab in other country not in my country
because working as a gemologist in gemological lab is my dream job
My family business is trading gems based in burma especially trade with thailand and HK
I believe working in other coutries could get a lots of contacts for trading.
any suggesting is welcome
thanks

Hi i am indo you can email me at shafaz09@yahoo.com
i guess there might be a chance for you to run lab service job or etc
thanks
indo (shaheen) :D

My contact detail is
whatsup number to chat directly with me is +62811169252
blackberry pin number is 26853A9B hit me up for fast comunications
mobile number is +62811169252
thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:14 pm 
indo wrote:
hello i am looking for graduate gemologist working in lab for colour stones certification in indonesia
Its can be in two way either worked together (join venture)or on salary basis in full timer
Indonesia has been huge demand on gemstones and its hardly not more than 2 graduated lab opened
Those who is interested may contact me in my email add shafaz09@yahoo.com we can discuss futher more in detail

thanks
indo

Is that Paramita?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:22 pm 

Kyriakin wrote:
indo wrote:
hello i am looking for graduate gemologist working in lab for colour stones certification in indonesia
Its can be in two way either worked together (join venture)or on salary basis in full timer
Indonesia has been huge demand on gemstones and its hardly not more than 2 graduated lab opened
Those who is interested may contact me in my email add shafaz09@yahoo.com we can discuss futher more in detail

thanks
indo

Is that Paramita?

hello kyriakin
no it isnt paramita here my actual name is nazir and i did my gemology in germany back in the 94
i am travelling to bangkok in october for my refersher course in GIA and if there is a chance for me to meet any one who is interested in gem lab sevices discusion
thank hope to hear from you again
indo(SHAHEEN NAZIR)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:02 pm 
Oh ok. I previously was in a discussion about a job at Paramita, Jakarta.

However, having spent ages sorting out work permits etc., I went down with bacterial pneumonia in Japan, and that was that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:58 am 

AlastairMeikle wrote:
Hi Thu but also Kyriakin

Have you considered the BSc (Hons) degree in gemmology and applied Mineralogy at Kingston university?. They cover alot of the advanced laboratory techniques aswell as quite a bit on the background Geology of stones too...I finished there this summer.

There are a few snags...like for example they can only run it every two years at the moment, but it may just swing things your way in so far as getting a lab job, when I finished I went to Sri Lanka and worked on LIBS,FTIR,UV-VIS and Raman for three months.

The other thing I wanted to say was that I believe the UK GIA site (not the main U.S one)has a seperate job vancancy service which you can request to be put on the mailing list.

As for jobs...good luck..am in the same boat as you and thats WITH the degree so think it through before investing the time and money.

All the best
Alastair Meikle

Honestly, I found this topic accidently in Google but I am glad to see the person who can share hsi own expirience at Kingston university. The thing is that I´m also planning to apply to Mineralogy next year. The decision is quite complicated and I would like to ask your personal opinion, does it give you more opportunities and the possibility to work in a gemological lab in the future?

Another question, do I need a Master degree in order to be included in GIA's listings? Just in case, email is uk.jooble@gmail.com. I'm really waiting for your feedback. Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

For diamonds with the GIA no.
For colored stones, minimally a masters, preferably a PhD.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:57 pm 
Valued Contributor

For those that are serious about working in a lab but don't have the experience....

check out this course:
http://gemnantes.fr/en/enseignement/dug

As far as I know this is the only advanced gemological course. Its usually in French but now they are offered an english

"Because of numerous requests from non-French speaking gemologists, the DUG advanced gemology program will be taught in English. Teaching is grouped in one time block of 5 weeks (+some...) in order to make it more convenient for overseas students. Final exams are scheduled right after the end of teaching. The exprimental memoir is defended several months later, at the same date for all candidates. ."

". You will learn all you need on laboratory techniques: Spectroscopies (UV-Visible, infrared, Raman, luminescence), electron microscopy, chemical analysis and so on. "

I know many people who have taken the course and learned a lot. Emmanuel Fritsch is highly regarded and seems somewhat legendary.

Also though be realistic with what's possible. I don't know about the smaller labs but I know for sure that you will not get a job as a GIA gemologist (and i'm guessing the other big labs) without a masters degree in a related field like geology or chemistry. Once they hire you they offer you the GG and FGA training as part of your compensation but you are required to do it. I am friends with many people in the Bangkok lab and everyone is a masters or Ph.D. This is a sad fact that they don't tell you before enter your gemology training.

Also if you are looking for more hands on experience aside from the above link in France then check out the new gemology business school that opened last year in Bangkok. I'm part of the team. We currently offer classes on rough grading and sorting as well as a faceting bootcamp class. We are working on more for later this year; gem photography, advanced cutting, and a gemstone entrepreneurship class. www.igtthailand.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:53 pm 

AlastairMeikle wrote:
Hi Thu but also Kyriakin

Have you considered the BSc (Hons) degree in gemmology and applied Mineralogy at Kingston university?. They cover alot of the advanced laboratory techniques aswell as quite a bit on the background Geology of stones too...I finished there this summer.

There are a few snags...like for example they can only run it every two years at the moment, but it may just swing things your way in so far as getting a lab job, when I finished I went to Sri Lanka and worked on LIBS,FTIR,UV-VIS and Raman for three months.

The other thing I wanted to say was that I believe the UK GIA site (not the main U.S one)has a seperate job vancancy service which you can request to be put on the mailing list.

As for jobs...good luck..am in the same boat as you and thats WITH the degree so think it through before investing the time and money.

All the best
Alastair Meikle

Hi Alistair,
I'm from Srilanka and am on the verge of completing my FGA I'd love to know where you worked on Advanced equipment here and if there's anymore opportunity available there.Thanks