Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Gem-A Conference 2012
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:01 am 

JB wrote:
Be careful out there.

I think that's how the dinosaurs died. Species induced fatal methane gas inhalation.

Pretty sure it happened on Noah's Ark. I don't know, I'll have to research my history scrolls. :)

I did say elderly... But not quite that old!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:39 am 

Kane wrote:
Ok, apart from gassing issues :lol: I have to say that JTV sadly brings about the kind of quality I suspected them of :twisted: stirr it babe

His presentation was more like something you'd pitch to investors, IMO.

I did have to laugh when he asked those who had bought gems or jewellery via TV to put their hands up. Because nobody did. Tough crowd :lol:

The audience was somewhat divided on the JTV thing. It's hard to deny that bringing the Gem-A name into as many homes as they claim to have as an audience is good exposure for the Association, especially in the US where they have very little presence. Not having seen the course itself, I can't make any comments regarding that. The fear seems to be that it will devalue the FGA in some way, although the course was written by the Gem-A and so one would expect it to be up to their standards but simplified. I do know someone who got their hot little hands on it though, so we might get some secondhand feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:38 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Have to agree with earlier post on the highlights.

Richard Hughes gave a easy presentation with a great mixture of humour and seriousness but at the same time gave you a picture on the workings of a Jade mine and the trade.

Bear Williams personally gave me a better insite in the workings and the "how to" of the advanced lab-equipment, really something I would want to work with one day, anyone feel like sending me £100-200k? ;)

Dr. Lore Kiefret in my eyes she really put the dividing line between business and science of gemmology, something I find admirable. Got the feeling that she was purely devoted to getting a better understanding of the material from the locality.

Thomas Hainschwang had a great presentation, however I have to admit I did have a hard him keeping up :p

I would also agree with the lows.

JTV and the 1 million carat stone grinder

The low importance of emerald treatment

Closeing all door on a room with 180+ people and equipment, seriouslly have to reconsider the stones in my rings as heattreated now...

Sadly not getting to bring any souvenir from the visit to the Crown Jewels...

----------------------------------------------------------

For the ones taking Richards Druckers seminar I would like to hear what you thought of the new colour-grading system opposted to previous?

And that will be all for my first post on this forum ;)

Karl Springe FGA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:57 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

Good first post, Karl! Welcome to the forum :D .

Karl Springe wrote:
Closeing all door on a room with 180+ people and equipment, seriouslly have to reconsider the stones in my rings as heattreated now...
Too funny! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:14 pm 

Thank you!

Looked around a couple of times when dear old google felt like my search had this forum as it best companion... ;p

But we owe Conny for my first and future post, its thanks to him I got lead on here, with the most serious of intentions ;)

Before I end this message I have a question, which might seem obvious to most of you, but certainly confuses the heck out of me... Gemmology or Gemology, whats is what? english/american?

Karl Springe FG to the A

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:16 pm 

:lol: Gemology for we Americans who like to save time and effort; gemmology for the rest of the English-speaking world 8) .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:29 pm 

Thank you for that ;)

Probably will save me considerated time in the future... Allways seem to have to find which to write :p

Would have been nice to accedenly started a conversation with you at the conference, as the spinel has taken over the spot of my favorite stone by a storm! Also had 3 rings and a tieclip with spinels ;p

But I guess you live, you learn! To many people to talk to all of them to :/

As it was my first conference I will evaluate my approach until next time :)

Karl Springe FGA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:04 pm 

It would have been quite something if you started a conversation considering I wasn't there :lol: 8) .

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:46 am 

Karl Springe wrote:
Before I end this message I have a question, which might seem obvious to most of you, but certainly confuses the heck out of me... Gemmology or Gemology, whats is what? english/american?

Karl Springe FG to the A

The gentle jokes about adding the second "m" to the presentations done by the American speakers was kind of cute.

The lot of them must have been sitting around at dinner the night before getting teased about it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:10 am 

Hummm... well then, I would probably say that it was a good thing I didn't have a conversation with you then, or Ill still be in London in a nice padded room ;) swinging back and forth on my knees mumbling the difference between pink sapphire and ruby!

Maybe someday then, when we atleast are in the same continent... Or if one could comunicate by staring deep into the deept of the spinel and it leads to telepatic capabilities between people doing it at the same time? you have to love science, cuz until you can prove it wrong its just as possible as the rest of the theorys :D

Karl Springe FGA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:00 pm 

:lol: You're going to be fun to read, Karl! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:46 pm 
Valued Contributor

Quick update from me...

Really great to meet so many of you IRL finally - and those from the Gemology Linked-in group as well.

Some very memorable lectures! Richard Hughes and Bear Williams in particular were excellent.

Tim, I wondered where you escaped to during the JTV toothpaste ad. The guy looked truly shocked that not a single person in the room had bought gems or jewellery online. Glad I wasn't the only one who cringed at the stirring of the gemstones.

I had quite a long discussion with someone from Gem-A about the course and they did a lot of wincing. Said it was incredibly basic - and that the whole Coloured Stones Associate and letters after name bollox was insisted on by JTV. They understand our worries.

To be honest there was little between this year's JTV and last year's Gem TV's presentations. Both seem to have completely failed to understand their audience. Both subjected us to the kind of video presentation you offer to potential investors. Both avoided any mention of treatment disclosure. Neither mentioned anything that was actually interesting. Maybe I'm too much of a Brit to 'get' it....

I wasn't able to make the dinner, but I did go to the Nat Hist tour on the Tuesday which was amazing - some of the stuff they let us play with behind the scenes... wow!

I also took my 'star rutile' along. Having been unable to track another one down anywhere, and having shown it to several people who have been in the trade for 50+ years and none of them having ever seen one, I decided it was time to find out for certain what it was.

Alan Hart has taken it off to analyse - so, I'm looking forward to finding out exactly what the wretched thing is! It's just under 6cts, round cabochon, with a strong 6-rayed star, looks like haematite - as in it's silver and metallic lustre - on the polished surface and a blackish brown on the unpolished. No signs of being etched under magnification (like the star pyrites). Bought off a guy in Ratnapura following a request to see 'weird stuff'. Will take some pics and let you all know when I find out!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:47 am 

Shame you didn't bring it to the conference itself. Alberto and Mikko could have popped it in the GemmoRaman for you. It was great meeting you there. Sorry to have missed the Nat Hist. Tour, I'm told it was well worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:48 am 
Valued Contributor

I thought I'd put it in my bag - sadly not. Was kicking myself like crazy when I couldn't find it.

Was lovely to finally meet you! Looking forward to the next meet-up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:08 pm 

Now that would be annoying!

Next time, maybe in some fabulous gem country?