January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Dying to see what gemmologists and collectors wear!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:22 pm 
Valued Contributor

Ok I am fairly new here but I have been reading a lot of old posts and I am thinking all you guys must have at least one amazing piece of jewlery to show off. I know this is similar to the latest creation post but I am dying to see some of you guys engagement rings , pendants ect! If this has already been done somewhere just point me in the direction! I would love to get some inspiration.

Post subject: Re: Dying to see what gemmologists and collectors wear!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:50 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

My favorite is a absolutely crystal clear "crystal opal" carved pendant i cut and polished my self. It's a small guy at 4.68ct's but has a spectacular pinfire pattern that reminds me of galaxy's in space. The fire in the sun catches the eye it is so bright and people always stop me to ask about it. I would love to post a picture of it but i cannot for the life of me capture it in a photograph.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:04 pm 
Valued Contributor

Aw that's too bad it won't photograph well. It sounds beautiful! I always think its so neat how a person can look into some of these stones and see a whole other world! This is sort of weird but I am a mechanic and sometimes when the washer fluid is a cool color I will stick my head right on the tank and look at the fluid in there up close. It's like looking at a mini ocean or something! Luckily nobody has noticed me doing this yet. I think I may have over shared ..... Lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:28 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

the photo does not do this stone any justice at all, keep that in mind please. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:34 pm 
Valued Contributor

WOW!!!!!!! That is one amazing stone!! Thanks so much for sharing! That is definitely by far the prettiest opal I have ever seen. Neat cut too!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:51 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

thanks, the rough was thin at the top and to beautiful to waste so i just followed the rough with a curved design.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:51 am 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

That is a wonderful opal, Gary =D> !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:52 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Barbara O. Ellis, GG wrote:
That is a wonderful opal, Gary =D> !

Thanks Barb, wish i could have been able to take better photo's, it's a shame i cannot show off the rest of my opal's. I have a nice red play of color broad stroke stone thats over 7ct's. Just a bummer i suck at photography..lol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:07 am 

I would think most people owning a jewelry store would be a little hesitant to tell you that by the time you bought it, it had been used, abused and lost all its powers.

Just kidding. It will still have the powers. Just don't buy a size 7, any necklace/pendant, or larger bracelet from me.

Every newest piece to me is my most special for the most part. This is because I keep getting better. Keep getting fresher. Only slightly aging.

But you what's even better?

I don't sell any of my Jewelry, yet. I wont sell anything until I am at the top of my game, which ...........will be some years............

So, anyone wanting anything I wear.................Wont find it anywhere if they looked, where I roam.......

This is to keep imitators of style at bay.

If I sell, or post pictures, I gotta be going full speed to stay ahead while I can.

Until then, you'll have to see me in person if you want to partake some of my style..........

Not look at my website, take my best, and spit out the rest.

I hope no one takes that arrogant or impolite.

It is strategy. If you sell your beginner's work, it will be much harder to rise to the top....

Don't show anyone your junk....

For all they know, when you only sell your best, you only make the best.

So, it comes down to strategy.

By the time I sell my first piece, as I said, I want to be in the lead of my own style.

Release it as an infant, and the pros will just take you over, do it cheaper, faster, longer, stronger and eat you up....

I am a rookie.............There are so many great Jeweler's out there......That I draw inspiration from.

That I mix styles, learn from, and create.

Afterall, mostly all artists get their style by liking other artists work.

If I see something I like, I'd take the parts I like and mix with what I like.

So, would I blame a competitor for doing it?

Nope.

So. With that being said. Be careful where you wear your highest of prized prototypes, and to whom you give them too until you get a piece of the pie.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:04 pm 
Valued Contributor

But if you don't sell or show anything until your at the top of your game, how will you know if you even have game? You won't know what people will like and what will sell! I guess I'm saying what if you spend all your time perfecting your style, and then go to sell it and find out you have bad taste? That would suck.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:01 am 

When it comes to artists' development, I think that few tend to become great without seeking feedback from their peers. But of course, faceting isn't the same as painting, and there are more objective ways to judge success on the technical side.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

And the wise words of Lisa Elser always resonate in the background, "If you want to make a small fortune in our industry, start with a large one".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:23 am 

Thank you. I appreciate the suggestions. I apologize for expressing mainly how excited I am to wear my own jewelry.

Which I have mentioned, is always the best thing I have ever made in my life. Which always gets better. As with my life. Always gets better. I always improve. I always do the best job of putting myself down, to better myself. I am my best critic. People in Jail/Prison more than 1 time would be examples of people who aren't their best critic, if you catch my drift.

So, I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers of people who have different views than mine. As the majority of people would in this case, very true.

I have heard some of the suggestions made to me. Because I have been laying low for a few years as far as the whole coming out in the open as a serious artist.

There's a reason I turn down store owners offers though. Personal reasons. I will be much happier following the motto I have kinda posted above, but that's me.

That may have been put there for other people who are new, as I am. Many people on here are experienced, do run businesses, and have been doing so a while and I thank you for your involvement. But for the person out there, wondering if they should post their work, even though they are excited to share, there is another person such as I who has another viewpoint.

My goals:

1. Win a AGTA award. I am obviously a long way away! So, any help is appreciated. Not doing it for fame, I just wanna be one of the bests! Why???Well, my goal wouldn't be to be one of the most least special people of all time would it? Hence I love and respect all the winners in life, so as they did it for the right reasons. To inspire, to show people how much they care to show how they feel about special things in life, and most importantly to bring others with them in their journey. So, authors, thank you. People who go out of there way to make a customer own the most special feeling to keep for life.

Run a Jewelry store that:
2. Only makes people happy.
Makes everyone feel, and leave the store to venture their journey into the best day of their life. Which I do everytime I leave the house with my best jewelry I have ever made.
My jewelry store will have a wide range of jewelry. 20-250 dollar glass rings, bracelets, pendants, etc.........To wedding bands, cocktail jewelry, collector jewelry, etc........
So this store will be diverse. But will have standards. Everything will be made by me. Everything will be unique. I will not do repairs, I will suggest good repairsmen in the area. This is because I only work on my work.
What about custom? Of course, but I will take custom a little further than some do. I will do research prior to customizing that others may not care to do.

I simply will not do anything plain. Sorry, and to those on this thread I am not trying to be cocky here. Just being truthful. I cannot do 95% of the wedding bands on the market. Just not my thing. Your gonna need a little more than a picture of a ring made by one of the Sterling Corps stores to get a truly custom and unique piece.
2.Only make unique and special jewelry.

But, you say, I have never even casted, worked with gold, cut a tourmaline and I am nothing.

Very true. But, I can be something. I have vision. I do not care about money. There are so many ways to make money. Even in the jewelry industry, I will do my absolute best to uphold every ethical practice to the most that anyone can do without giving access to my last dollar.

My goals in life are to make friends in this industry, and on here. To share this wonderful life.

To make a marriage last.

To make people happy. I have considered so many options. To me, all of my sales will come from surprise. I am like that. I will stop people before they leave empty handed, and give them a piece of glass jewelry, in their favorite colors and correct size for free, often?

Why? These glass objects, mainly jewelry are very cheap to produce. I am very efficient. My production, since I have experience and know how to make a lot of good art in little time. Therefore. Glass is scrap. The best glass artwork, will always be a backburner scrap to me.

Note: I will run a mix jewelry store. Handcrafted, amazing glass jewelry with a style like no other, and fine precious jewelry.

So, even though glass is special to me. I understand precious gemology. I created it. The worlds creator did not. Therefore it can never be as good. That's why the emphasis the rest of my life will be precious gemology, with a trace of manmade glass jewels.

So, once again sorry for the long post. I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about me because I know how I am.
I am self confident, but I bring others with me. (I listen to good music, with no disrespect. Be that new age R&B/Pop, techno, electronica, and everything fun and loving)
Now, what I get at there, is no ego boosting negative rap full of disrespecting women and making people feel bad. But there is similar music which is okay to listen to. Bragging about how good their spouse is, how much they love, how good they feel, and how to bring you with.I plan to make people laugh, make friends, have fun, and spread............joy.

So, since I'm a chump newbie, lets see what you jeweler's got?????????? For my chump newbie mind to for a split second be jealous of, filter then change my thought to, that is awesome. That is great. That is inspiration. I've been known to research a little NLP in my day, and nearly every religion.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:03 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

:shock:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:45 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Thinslice, don't confuse kindness with stupidity!
There are many, many people who share their experience on this forum.
Don't be surprised if most ignore your observations.
Why would we want to show stuff in an attempt to make you envious?
What has NLP, and religion, got to do with this thread? :smt043