January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Found in an old Jewlery box in the bottom crack
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:22 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

My wife was given a jewelry box at a flea market. She was looking at it to do some repair and heard a rattle. A stone was lodged in the box bottom that came loose when she was working on it. I put it under my digital scope and it looks to my untrained eye like a Garnet. Any help appreciated. I miked out the stone and its .205 x .289. Inch

Attachments:
Sat Dec 26 19-36-10.jpg
Sat Dec 26 19-36-10.jpg [ 31.09 KiB | Viewed 761 times ]
Sat Dec 26 19-35-45.jpg
Sat Dec 26 19-35-45.jpg [ 22.21 KiB | Viewed 761 times ]
Sat Dec 26 19-35-15.jpg
Sat Dec 26 19-35-15.jpg [ 30.57 KiB | Viewed 761 times ]
Sat Dec 26 19-32-40.jpg
Sat Dec 26 19-32-40.jpg [ 51.45 KiB | Viewed 761 times ]
Sat Dec 26 19-32-26.jpg
Sat Dec 26 19-32-26.jpg [ 36.52 KiB | Viewed 761 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Found in an old Jewlery box in the bottom crack
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:05 pm 

Based on your photos we can see a really rough polish on the facets and some of the facet edges look rounded to me. The girdle of the stone looks like it has some mould marks so my first instinct is that it's actually just a type of jewellery glass (aka paste).

Do you see any bubbles inside the stone? The inclusions in the 3rd and 4th photo are out of focus so I can't tell what they are. Do you have any other gemmological tools to test it with? Ideally if you even had a polariscope it would tell you if it's glass vs garnet in most cases. Otherwise something like a spectroscope, a way to get the specific gravity, or a refractometer (ideal) would give you better clues to what it is.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:22 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

S. Rautiainen wrote:
Based on your photos we can see a really rough polish on the facets and some of the facet edges look rounded to me. The girdle of the stone looks like it has some mould marks so my first instinct is that it's actually just a type of jewellery glass (aka paste).

Do you see any bubbles inside the stone? The inclusions in the 3rd and 4th photo are out of focus so I can't tell what they are. Do you have any other gemmological tools to test it with? Ideally if you even had a polariscope it would tell you if it's glass vs garnet in most cases. Otherwise something like a spectroscope, a way to get the specific gravity, or a refractometer (ideal) would give you better clues to what it is.

No I don't have anything like that. I have the digital MS for other uses and it worked to get some close ups. I can not tell if the marks are bubbles or cracks in the stone.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:52 pm 

With your microscope try to take an image through the table and try and focus on anything on the inside of the stone. If you can, try to take a picture of anything you find but mainly if you find bubbles, which will usually either show up as round or doughnut shapes, then that would help in its identification. That said, if you have an old pair of polarized sunglasses around you could make your own polariscope if you wanted and that might help.

To make the polariscope out of the sunglasses take the lenses out and then holding one in it's normal position (as you found it in the pair of glasses) turn the other lens 90 degrees so that it will be perpendicular to the first lens. If you can get a light through the bottom lens then and put the stone in between the two lenses you should be able to see a reaction. If you want I can give you a better description if you need one on this.