January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Is it possible to make a living as a gemstone trader?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:19 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

glhays wrote:
We found in our eBay platform that plenty of international buyers were there and interested in our listings. The hurdle for most of them were their own government import restrictions and or duty taxes, extremely high shipping costs.

Dear glhays: I looked at your website advertised in your sig. It is beautiful, as I'm sure your store in Southern Cal has been for more than 25 years. I've had "plenty of interested international" people visit me on ebay as well (I have no brick-and-mortar store). The buyers (!) from Asia, as noted, were very few - and zero on gemology-related stuff. There have been far more European, Canadian and Australian buyers - which is not saying much. The bulk of buyers is US - and nobody is getting rich here. When I look at your retail prices online, I can only dream of making sales in that price-range (WOW!). Even well-heeled Hollywood people probably frequent your store. And yes, we pay full bore on any shipping while China, India etc hugely subsidize intl. shipping. Naturally, US cost like that is not easily passed on internationally.
glhays wrote:
What is meant by your statement "most Americans have to buy from Asia and Africa"

Poorly worded on my part. Sorry. I was speaking of small American sellers like me, just bottom-feeders compared to you. In the Mid-West, instead of Hollywood, seasonal tourists or long-time local pub-owners, shooting-range-superintendents or snow-plow distributors are usually recognized personalities - and are not usually found in the nearest jewelry store or rock-shop. There are a few tough (and great) Mid-West jewelry stores/rock shops which are hanging in there online and offline. Many others are, regrettably, barely surviving or dead.
Best wishes, John

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:30 pm 
Gold Member

Wow!!! Alot of speculation there on your part John. Lashing out a little? The broom handle fits everybodies hands, including mine and has for many years. Not everyday has a Hollywood moment even in San Diego. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

How long have you been in the gem business ostrea?
Read some tutorials which may help your focus:
The Path to Success in the Gem Trade, by Justin Prim

How to Start a Gem Sales Business

Go to as many Gem Shows as you can. Take copious notes. Who is selling what and at what price.

A close friend of mine used churches and educational facilities to promote his business. He offered free lectures on gems, gem localities, gem cutting, bead stringing etc and gained quite a following.
His business lasted 50 years!

Are you a member of any local gem and mineral clubs? A lot of their members have been in the biz for decades and are always willing to lend a hand.

Just a couple of thoughts....

Also, while it may be easier to find wealthy people in Crazy California, it is also true that there are a million times more "entrepreneurials" here trying to find some gimmick to cash in on crazy. No cake walk out here, trust me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:16 pm 
Gold Member

Barbra has very valid points, been there done that on most of them, and still do.
Our website might look nice to many, but sales are hard to come by for all of us in the gem and jewelry buisness. We have spent years doing small street fairs, dirt parking lots and many other types of small shows to pay the overhead. A good sale here and there just comes along so often and the costs to get it usually eat the profits if any up before the sale item ever leaves the table.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:48 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hi Barbra,
About 10 years, rock-hound 40+ years, long-time member in two rock-clubs.
Bad accident last year => wheelchair. Undaunted.
Folks in the rock/gem biz are, in my view, mostly the best this great planet has to offer.
Thanks for kind pointers.
Greetings to San Francisco,
John

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:16 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry to hear about the accident but sounds like you are doing very well in spite of it!

I got some good advice years ago from an antique dealer who emphasized the importance of specialization. The relatively small store sold only French Art Nouveau furniture, art glass and jewelry. Very small window, approx. 1880-1915. Included were also examples of German Jugendstil, Glasgow Style Arts and Craft, American Tiffany Style, Austrian Sezessionstil.....you get my drift.

They couldn't compete with the huge stores which were like warehouses with floors of old stuff from all periods but anyone looking specifically for Art Nouveau quickly learned there was only one game in town.