January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Education options
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:35 pm 
Established Member

Hi I'm new ! I just wanted to discuss what my educational options were because the GIA education is so expensive. I don't live anywhere near GIA California campus and I could use some of my VA DEA benefits but .. GIA is like half a million dollars! I get 23k a year for school total award for 36 months and can't be online so that's that. So..

What about IGI? What if I paid for IGI and then took the GIA for diamond?
Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Education options
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:50 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, GIA is expensive, but I don't think it comes with a $500,000 price tag.....yet.
As I understand it, the GIA offers some reasonably priced courses to get your feet wet in the trade.
Let's have a look:
https://www.gia.edu/gem-education/programs-courses

Go to the bottom of the page and research the eLearning classes.

IMO, there are some other places which offer rather cheap gemological classes. They claim to offer certificates of completion and other, frankly useless "diplomas". One has to consider what you want to do with your education.

Tell us a little more about your long term plans in the gem/jewelry world so we can better help you with a direction.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:53 pm 
Gold Member

Last time I looked the tuition, books, fees, supplies, for the GIA GG program if take in residence is about $24,000. The remote learning is close to 1/2 of that.

There are also a lot of generous scholarships available.

I can't imagine where the $500,000 number came from.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I can't imagine where the $500,000 number came from.

I think 4 years at Harvard would run about $300,000 and that would include lodging and supplies.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:42 pm 
Established Member

I think they may have had an extra zero on the I formation I saw yesterday. I appreciate all the responses. So here's where I am: I am a gem hound. I buy gems and take them to my local guy who is fantastic. I work with him to design pieces in colored gemstones. It all started when I happened upon a Russian alexandrite .17 ct. I was dazzled! It was gifted to me so I made a teeny pendant. Then I fell in love with aquamarine, opals and tourmaline etc etc. I just wanted to have them to look at. Lots of loose little stones I can enjoy. I'm addicted.

So , now I want to work for my jeweler at some point. We have a great relationship. I want to appraise and work on getting my foot in the door to design on the side some commissioned pieces. I want to know how to help others make better decisions when buying as when I began, I got burnt. I want to know diamonds too. Metals etc.

On a side note , I'm also a collector of vintage taxco silver.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:40 am 
Established Member

I looked at a lot of online courses and decided to stay a self taught gemologist rather than a certified Gemologist. When you can take an exam as many times as you need to get a pass, it seems a pointless (and expensive) piece of paper.

But that's just my view :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:44 am 
Gold Member

How are the gemology programs different than other degree programs in that regard?

By the way the GIA final allows only limited arrests to pass before remedial course work must be taken. This could be as much as complete redo of the entire course with repayment of fees.

Testing is as much about learning as it is about evaluating. In Gemology, a diploma is a recognition of effort, knowledge and success at skills. It is not a license to practice. Such liscence can be self granted as you have chosen. But that gives clients no indication of a standard of achievement that a degree from a respected institution does.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

Perhaps your local jeweler would be willing to subsidize your course work after you prove to be an asset to their shop. It would be a tax write-off.

Till then, and after exploring the possible GIA scholarships, start reading whatever you can get your hands on.
There are a couple links to free gemology courses on the left side of the page.
The GemologyProject also offers solid information.

Do some research to see if there are any Gem/Rock/Mineral clubs in your area. Often their members can help teach you to learn to use some practical gemological tools.

Also, hold off on buying cheap tools on eBay and the like. They are often unreliable.
Where do you live?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:28 pm 
Established Member

I'm in Modesto California. I am currently studying the basics such as how to properly identify the structure of the crystal, plechorism, RI, hardness, displacement/ weight and density.

The jeweler I'm trying to work with is Gabriel's fine Jewelry. They are local and have a really high end shop for the area. The owner, Gabriel, is extremely kind and patient as well as experienced. They have a great balance of diamond and colored stones as well as metals. This kind of diversity makes me feel that I could really learn a lot.

I looked into Job listing for Gemologists that covered different aspects like Jewelry design, appraisal, purchasing etc and I keep seeing GIA as a qualification that's required. For me, a degree is nor the end all. But I do think I need to find a way to gain an education and experience that will allow me to go where I need to in accomplishing my goals.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:40 pm 
Gold Member

Well it would not be hard pressed to find some wealthy parents send a daughter or son to the GIA from say mainland China, Dubai etc. Dropping a 500k on a home, tuitions, leisure funds, travel cost, but not just in tuition costs.
I'm a self taught some time dangerous in fact. But I am not interacting with the public proclaiming to be a gemologist. My spouse has diplomas signed by the heads of the time at GIA, many of her clients take satisfaction in knowing that she had invested herself in the studies of gemology.
I think if your going to invest yourself as a professional in this trade as a gemologist, a legit course of study from an organization like GIA has a great value.
Many of the students that repeat the final exams repeatedly to just memorize will eventually be put on notice by a employer or the industry that they truly were not in it completely.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:42 pm 
Valued Contributor

I do not believe that you have enough posts yet to send PM's, but I would re-iterate what others have said. I would encourage you to contact the financial aid department at GIA as they are very familiar with VA options and can also provide information on the vast array of scholarships available.

There is information and contact details here: https://www.gia.edu/gem-education-financial-aid

Regarding tuition, I would suggest reviewing the costs of the eLearning program listed here as it sounds like it would best fit your needs: https://www.gia.edu/gem-education/distance/schedule

I hope you find this information helpful.

Best regards,
Paul

* My posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer