Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Remote proctor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:40 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hi there!

I’ve just completed the Diamonds and Diamond Grading coursework, am now revising and planning on taking the final exam.

Has anyone used the remote proctor option that could explain it to me?

Many thanks.

Post subject: Re: Remote proctor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:18 am 

I know what it was like for my courses through the CGA and can comment on that if you'd like but GIA specific I can't say much.

Hopeful Gem sounds like they just finished one of the courses through GIA through Zoom using the remote proctor option so they might be able to answer or maybe one of the other members here. Otherwise I'm sure there's a contact number for someone at the GIA to answer your questions as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:21 pm 
Established Member

I used Sylvan Learning Center to take my D & DG final. They are available for exam proctoring. GIA will require some information and then they'll approve them and you'll be good to go. You may want to check out other learning centers like Huntington if there is no Sylvan in your are. Good Luck!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:41 pm 
Valued Contributor

You can always PM me if you have questions regarding the distance education program and I am happy to help.

In regards to remote proctoring at this time for the diamonds & diamond grading and colored stone course final exams, this is done through Zoom with one of the distance education instructors as the proctor. These are limited in availability so the sessions tend to book up well in advance. However, it is a good option for those who are unable to find a local proctor at this time due to COVID limitations in their area.

I hope that helps.

* My posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:37 pm 

Many thanks everyone

The remote proctor option is booked up until April so I’m going to get a proctor in my area.

Kind regards

#still studying and wish the exam was behind me now

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:59 am 
Established Member

Hi there, I did my D&DG exam via a Zoom proctor last month. It wasn’t too difficult to use, and they will send you a list of rules beforehand.

Basically, I had to show the instructor the room I was using (doing a 360-degree spin in an office chair, LOL). I also had to show them my desk and all the papers being used. I had a calculator with me, but they specify that it has to be a simple type (not a fancy graphing calculator and certainly not the one on your smartphone). The rules also mention no smart watches, so I left my Apple Watch off.

You have to check into Zoom by 8:40 am (Pacific Time) to talk to the instructor, and the exam starts by 9 am. You’ll do the test on your computer with your phone propped to the side so the instructor can see you, your computer, and your desk. I would recommend finding the right position for your phone ahead of time, since that was surprisingly tricky. Your speaker and microphone must be left on the whole time. The instructor said we could use the chat function to communicate, but for some reason the chat was disabled for me.

Overall, it was not a bad experience. The only thing is that you’ll sometimes hear the students and instructor exchange a few words, which can be distracting. But I genuinely appreciated this option since my area has been on a strict lockdown, and I didn’t know what else I could do. The instructor was also very nice.

If you are new to Zoom, practicing using it in advance could be helpful.

Sorry for being late here...I know you found a different option in the meantime but I wish you luck!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:48 am 

Thank you Hopeful Gem
That’s all great info.

Does anyone else have any experience of the Proctored exams using an approved proctor? I think I may have found a school teacher who could do it for me. All information would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:29 am 
Valued Contributor

Sparkles66 wrote:
Thank you Hopeful Gem
That’s all great info.

Does anyone else have any experience of the Proctored exams using an approved proctor? I think I may have found a school teacher who could do it for me. All information would be greatly appreciated.

If you reach out to either the proctor desk at proctor@gia.edu or your assigned primary instructor, they would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have :wink: :D

* My posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:59 pm 

Thanks everyone for all of the advice and info.

I have just completed and passed Diamonds and Diamond Grading - so relieved!

Now to start on colored stones or wait to do lab for D&DG, decisions to be made!

Have a great weekend everyone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:06 am 
Valued Contributor

Congrats!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:14 am 
Established Member

Sparkles66 wrote:
Thanks everyone for all of the advice and info.

I have just completed and passed Diamonds and Diamond Grading - so relieved!

Now to start on colored stones or wait to do lab for D&DG, decisions to be made!

Have a great weekend everyone

Congrats to you!! If you can’t go to a lab now, you might as well start on Colored Stones. :)