January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: New Spessartite find in Namibia?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:19 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

Has anyone heard of a new Spessartite discovery in Namibia? I've been seeing some larger sized (10-20 cts) of reddish-orange color and great clarity of not too dark tone being cited as from Namibia. I'm wondering if these are old stock or something new. Here's an example:

Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:34 am 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

hi jason! that's one big spessie! i've seen alot more of the r/o spessartite on the web, too, stated from namibia. but in the description of the stones from what i've read-it's old material. i do think production has ceased for spessartite in namibia as well as nigeria. the only new find of spessartite i've read of lately is that found in tanzania. i favor the reddish orange spessartite myself!! gorgeous!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:16 am 
Valued Contributor

Well, I was just in Namibia 2 weeks ago and the spessartite mines that you refer to ( I did go, but it was 2 days drive from nowhere ) are completely and definately not working or producing. There was some gravely smashed up pieces below 2ct lying around and no good material to be found. The locals do not want digging in the area, and the guy that has the lease is not interested in doing anything in the short term. The deposit is primary and hard to work, as is the one an hour away that produces the red goods. The colours of the the stones from there is not like those in the picture. I believe the stone you have there to be from a new find in Mozambique. I saw a bunch of reasonable rough from there when I was in Bangkok.
People always try to sell the spess that they have as Namibian because of the reputation for quality that the original find of 4 -5 years ago had.