January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Follow-up report about Mogok mine collapse
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:45 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Perhaps of interest. This news report was published today on the Mizzima website at:

http://www.mizzima.com/news-domestic/re ... e-collapse

Mogok Township Administrator Kan Htoo told Mizzima that they will provide compensation for the six miners who were killed in a mine collapse in Mogok Township, Mandalay Region.

The redress for these six miners is being done in coordination with an arbitration team between employers and employees, the mining company which is mainly responsible for the mine collapse and the Township Administrator.

In this incident, the gemstones mine of Yadanarshin mine in Kyauksaung village, Thadutsho village-tracts, Mogok collapsed on December 29 at about 6:30 p.m.

KanHtoo said that the mine collapsed while the miners were working at the depth of about 1,000 feet. Six miners died in this incident, he said.

“We told the mine company owners to suspend their mining operation until the safety work is rechecked to guarantee the safety of the miners. We are doing this now with arbitration committee of employers and employees. We will do for redressa of these young miners killed in the accident. And moreover we will do in accordance with the Gemstones Mining Law and its procedural rule,” Kan Htoo explained.

It is learned that the miners killed in mine collapse are from Sagaing Region and all of them are in their early 20s. Their remains are being sent back to their villages upon the request made by the bereaved families.

Mizzima tried to contact the Yadanarshin Gemstones Mine Company but received no reply.

Mogok Township Administrator Kan Htoo said, “Firstly the mining companies should work for safety. I think these incidents should not have occurred. They should pursue mining work with utmost care.”

After the mine collapse, the inquest case was registered at Mogok Township Police Station on December 30 and a duty officer from this police station said that this case had been forwarded to Mandalay Region Police Chief’s Office.

Post subject: Re: Follow-up report about Mogok mine collapse
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:27 am 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum!!!
that is very sad :( . I have been in Mogok a couple of months ago with Mikko, Dick Hughes and Julile and visited a lot of various mine types. Several secondary ones appeared to be quite "safe", OTOH, a number of holes were quite scary... the mine reported in the article seems to be in the Kadoke-tat area, just east of Bawpadan. we visited a couple of mines there, not sure it was the one reported in the article (btw, the photo in the article seems to feature a secondary deposit which doesn't fit with the type of mining there, where a narrow but deep vein is mined since veeery long ago) went down just a little bit in a Chinese owned mine which was a bit scary............then we moved to Bawpadan village and visited another one where we took the photo below.

you see me standing with the mine manager close to an aperture for allowing the stuff to be pulled out from a veeery deep section underneath... that mine is a huge one with a lot of tunnels following the vein at different levels.

anyway, we just learned we have been very lucky. Of course a special permission was required to visit the Mogok area but it seems all the restricted area has been closed since Dec 23 to every foreigner. I read somewhere a new document stating:
1) No tourist will be allowed to go to the restricted area anymore.
2) Those who have already got the permission in hand must stop to go.
3) Those who are in the restricted area must leave at once. is now closed

let's hope the situation will be back to normal soon, the place is just unbelievably awesome and it's a pity no one can get there now.... :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:22 am 

Quote:
the place is just unbelievably awesome and it's a pity no one can get there now.... :(

Well, having done some checks today, I know that I can still visit the area because I have a business visa (not a tourist visa). Some of my teaching work is for senior officials in Naypyidaw, which gives me some 'leeway' and special travel documents.

I cannot go everywhere in Myanmar. I am still restricted when there is a danger due to ethnic conflict (think KIA etc). But I don't have a death wish and being banned from those areas is no big deal for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:11 am 
Site Admin

simon43 wrote:
Quote:

Well, having done some checks today, I know that I can still visit the area because I have a business visa (not a tourist visa). Some of my teaching work is for senior officials in Naypyidaw, which gives me some 'leeway' and special travel documents.

i am glad you are still able to get there, are you from Myanmar? That said, i think the new restrictions are valid for the majority of people around here...unfortunately.... :?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:19 am 

Quote:
are you from Myanmar?

No I'm British, but working in Myanmar since 2012. I work as an English teacher in Naypyidaw and many of my students are either the children of 'influential' people, or are the influential people themselves :)

By the way, a forum member sent me a PM, but I do not have enough posts yet to read PMs - you'll have to post your message in the open forum.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:30 am 
Site Admin

simon43 wrote:
Quote:
are you from Myanmar?

No I'm British, but working in Myanmar since 2012. I work as an English teacher in Naypyidaw and many of my students are either the children of 'influential' people, or are the influential people themselves :)

great! :D

Quote:
By the way, a forum member sent me a PM, but I do not have enough posts yet to read PMs - you'll have to post your message in the open forum.

i have just raised your position to regular member so you are now cleared to exchange PM with other members. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:14 am 

Alberto, thanks very much! :o