January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Beryllium Diffusion
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

I did a google search on a disclaimer which was posted on the forum, you might remember:
Quote:
"Rubies and sapphires commonly undergo treatments (typically heat treatment, either with or without beryllium) to intensify the stone's natural color. These treatments are permanent. We will never sell a stone that was glass filled or otherwise treated with something not permanent".

And found it was posted on the sapphire page by the Shane Co.

Somehow, I don't feel that this is an adequate disclosure.
I contacted them and they do NOT individually seperate heat from Be diffusion for their sapphire inventory. Should they?

Post subject: Re: Beryllium Diffusion
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:27 pm 
Gold Member

I believe yes it should be disclosed if known. I also see this disclosure as a well crafted "COA" disclosure. When viewed in totality of what is and isn't disclosed, I found that in their sapphire category, an individual without much gem savvy will never know until down the road what the gem has or hasn't been subjected to, as far as enhancements go. I find the term intensify color by heat as the yes and no in my previous responses and think that the disclosure of heat is to improve color or clarity is a better definition. But we know what the industry prefers in disclosures so my personal opinions are just that personal.
I also believe it should have been disclosed on the gem container that it was Be treated so any trained staff had ample chance to explain what Be actually is and how it effects value.
Sorry for the rambling, simple answer is "Yes".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:37 pm 

Clearly beryllium has an effect on value that normal heat doesn't. Seems like anything short of full individual disclosure would be mistreatment of one's customer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:31 pm 
Gold Member

Barbra Voltaire, FGG wrote:
I did a google search on a disclaimer which was posted on the forum, you might remember:
Quote:
"Rubies and sapphires commonly undergo treatments (typically heat treatment, either with or without beryllium) to intensify the stone's natural color. These treatments are permanent. We will never sell a stone that was glass filled or otherwise treated with something not permanent".

And found it was posted on the sapphire page by the Shane Co.

Somehow, I don't feel that this is an adequate disclosure.
I contacted them and they do NOT individually seperate heat from Be diffusion for their sapphire inventory. Should they?

Absolutely yes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:14 am 

Not to go against the flow here, but to the average consumer, do they care much?
Most just want a stone that is pretty and maybe they want to know if it is treated. Not exactly what kind of treatment.
Those few who do want to know the specific treatment are more refined and will likely not buy from a place that tries to hide a "stronger" type of treatment like beryllium diffusion.
Its like a high end food connoisseur caring much whether Mcdonalds adds an Organic tag to their meat paddies.

:oops:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:54 am 
Site Admin

Yes, the consumer is likely not interested because they are uninformed or misinformed.

That's why there are watchdog government agencies in place to protect the public from those who willfully take advantage of the unknowing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:22 pm 
Gold Member

Fraud is fraud no matter how it is disguised. If I were selling a heat treated ruby as a no heat stone for the price of the latter and sometime in the future it is discovered it was heat treated that is fraud, I knowing sold it as a stone natural at a higher value for my profit only. But if explained to the inexperienced buyer why there is a difference they make their own educated decision. Why would there be gemology if it was just left to be everyone for them selves. Many many have over the years invested in protecting gem consumers from these practices in many ways, blood diamonds, child labor, unethical mining and the list goes on.
If your selling gemstones to the public, you should educate yourself with some the basic trade guidelines and practices. It can not be expected from all regions of the world to have access to the education some of us have, so there are institutions and protections in place.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

It's always about profit, no?
The Shane Co. can certainly afford to get their saphs tested for treatment, by AGL, GIA or SGL.
I'm a big fan of "enhancement" when it comes to enhancing the credibility and reputation within our industry.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:50 pm 
Gold Member

The very reason I said I was dumb founded. I didn't really agree they were very famous but very quickly saw they were not an uninformed industry establishment based only on the online presence.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:59 pm 
Valued Contributor

This blows my mind. :shock: The wording strikes me as deliberately misleading. A diffused stone has very little value compared to a heat only Sapphire.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:09 am 
Valued Contributor

same here. BE-Diffusion has to be declared. It is not "just" heating

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:00 pm 
Gold Member

I think a lot of customers don't care if their gemstone is synthetic, either, but it HAS TO BE DISCLOSED.

Personally, I won't buy a Be diffused stone, if I know it. I won't buy a synthetic either.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:27 pm 
Gold Member

We find it usually depends on the customer type (ie) jewelry, custom jewelry, loose stone, etc... (meaning on what a customer cares about).
Most likely it comes down to a budget amount when it is about jewelry, most loose stone buyers have some idea of what there looking for.
But fully informing any type is paramount!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:18 am 
Valued Contributor

It is a little bit like buying a car. If the car had an accident and got repaired you have to declare it.
Same here, as in my opinion BE-diffusion is making some cheap stones looking far better as they normally would even with normal heat.
So normally they are bought cheap (if right declared), so selling them in the same range like normal heated stones is fraud in my opinion if not declared right.
If the customer is looking for cheap sapphires, they are a good alternative if treatment is nothing he is worrying about.
But declaration and advisory has to be done in my opinion.