January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Copyright Issues
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

This topic is covered in our forum disclaimer for GemologyOnline and also before every post is submitted to the GemologyProject:

Gemology Online's Forum wrote:
Welcome to GemologyOnline.com forums board. Please be advised that this is NOT a consumer's forum. It is intended for gemologists, students of gemology, gem & jewelry appraisers, lapidaries and industry professionals.
By logging onto this forum you agree to the following:

By uploading materials both text and graphics to this website the user (you) is granting a nonexclusive license to the website owners to display the materials in perpetuity. If you do not want your posts copied by others, don't post them. GemologyOnline will take no responsibility for any future claims of copyright infringement.

Copyright
You agree any content you post, submit, contribute or otherwise provide to the Gemology Online is not protected by someones copyright, trade secret, patent rights or any other intellectual property rights, or by privacy rights.

When you copy any of the work for publication, we require you to add the following HTML code to each page you create or derive from the Gemology Online:

This information is courtesy of <a href="http://gemologyonline.com/">Gemology Online</a>

Gemology Project wrote:
Please note that all contributions to The Gemology Project are considered to be released under the a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License (see The Gemology Project:Copyrights for details). If you do not want your writing to be edited mercilessly and redistributed at will, then do not submit it here.
You are also promising us that you wrote this yourself, or copied it from a public domain or similar free resource. Do not submit copyrighted work without permission!

Over the past 10+ years of hosting these sites there have been 2 individuals claiming our site was in copyright violation when they personally posted everything they were whining about. Actually, with close to 10,000 members, that's not bad.

Please be aware Gemology Online and the Gemology Project can not he held liable for information, pictures and diagrams YOU choose to upload and it is seriously unfair for anyone to feel that our time is so valueless that we will be happy to backtrack over 10+ years and mop up.
Won't happen again!

In the future, if you need files removed, Tim Spauwen and I can be hired to accommodate for $150/per hour US.

Post subject: Re: Copyright Issues
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:11 pm 
Gold Member

I wanted to say thank you to all the moderators who put up with the grief that these types of things put you through I know it's not easy so thank you so much

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:37 pm 
Site Admin

Wilson, thanks for your thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:16 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Diamonds

On another forum that I moderate, two posters subscribed within a couple days of each other and just happened to log in and out around the same times. One of the posters copied and pasted paragraphs from another website, then the other issued DMCA Takedown Notices to Google. The posts were not particularly informative to begin with. I dealt with the alleged infringement by removing the posts. I dealt with both the copy poster and the tattle tale by revoking their posting privileges. I private messaged both and never heard from them again. A$$holes indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:10 am 
Valued Contributor

This is one of the greatest forums I've ever been a part of and I really appreciate all the work that's gone it to its creation, upkeep, and moderation. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:37 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Justin.
Most everyone here understands the spirit in which these sites have been and will continue to be provided.

But for those that consider every free online venue a platform for self promotion, they need to understand they are really in the wrong place here. :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:04 pm 

Quote:
In the future, if you need files removed, Tim Spauwen and I can be hired to accommodate for $150/per hour US.

Each, that is... 8)

All credits to you Barbra, for keeping this marvellous place going. It has brought me so much that I don't even have time to post anymore. (In that way it is too good! :wink: )