January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: HELP!! Newbie questions about Tucson Show in February
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:28 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hi there everyone! (SORRY IN ADVANCE FOR THE LONG POST)

I'm planning to attend the 2011 Tucson Gem and Mineral show this February but I've never attended any gem show before (let alone this one) so I have a ton of questions about the best way to do it. I am in the beginning stages of designing a high end jewelry line and am hoping to find honest high quality wholesale dealers who can provide me with color stones, raw diamonds, geode slices, mammoth ivory, etc. throughout the year.

I still have the big Diamonds course and the final Gem ID course to take for my GIA diploma so I'm not nearly as comfortable handling and buying stones as I would like to be. Hoping to learn a lot at the shows.

1. Anyway, here's my predicament, I can only attend the show for about 5 days so I'm not sure if I should just attend the wholesale shows like AGTA from Feb 1-6 and not do the big main show on the last weekend or if I should skip the wholesale shows and just go for the main show at the end. Everything I read says the main show at the end is amazing and not to be missed but as a jewelry designer wouldn't I learn more and make more valuable business relationships at the wholesale shows?

2. Any opinion on the best wholesale shows to attend or vendors I should definitely visit?

3. Also, what hotels or areas are good to be close to the shows, restaurants,etc. ? Best Western/Hampton Inn type is fine.

4. Some people say don't rent a car, some say it's a must. What do people typically do?

Sorry for the long post and thank you so much for any advice you can give.

lucy

Post subject: Re: HELP!! Newbie questions about Tucson Show in February
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:25 am 
Established Member

Hi Lucy,

I can’t help you much with your first two questions. My situation is quite different from yours; I’m a hobbyist with a main interest of gem identification. I attended last year and posted my impressions (search for mlbgem). You’ll just have to decide whether your business interests dictate going earlier to wholesale shows, thereby missing the really big Tucson Gem and Mineral Show at the end. Check the credential requirements of the wholesale shows; they vary.

If you rent a car, you will have a lot more flexibility with regard to choice of hotel and ability to go to shows on your own schedule. Last year, we didn’t rent a car and stayed at Hotel Arizona, which is centrally located. It was OK and has large rooms, and the rate was reasonable. Had to hike a little to find good restaurants in the evening though. There are shuttles to some shows from the Convention Center area, but we were able to walk to all we could attend in the 3 days we were there. This year, for less money, we’ll be at Stay Bridge Suites at the airport and will have a full kitchen, which will save on meals, and we’re renting a car.

If you reserve now, car rates are very reasonable (less than $40 per day for a compact). Likewise, get your hotel and plane reservations soon for the best prices. Right now you can buy a round trip on Southwest from RDU to TUS for about $300 plus taxes; later, it may be twice that. You should get the Tucson Show Guide for 2011 (it’s about $20 but don’t think it’s available yet) in advance for planning even though free copies are available at many shows. A pretty good website that has info now is tucson-gem-show.org.

I think you’ll enjoy it; I know I do.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:57 am 
Valued Contributor

luckylucy wrote:
Hi there everyone! (SORRY IN ADVANCE FOR THE LONG POST)

I'm planning to attend the 2011 Tucson Gem and Mineral show this February but I've never attended any gem show before (let alone this one) so I have a ton of questions about the best way to do it. I am in the beginning stages of designing a high end jewelry line and am hoping to find honest high quality wholesale dealers who can provide me with color stones, raw diamonds, geode slices, mammoth ivory, etc. throughout the year.

I still have the big Diamonds course and the final Gem ID course to take for my GIA diploma so I'm not nearly as comfortable handling and buying stones as I would like to be. Hoping to learn a lot at the shows.

1. Anyway, here's my predicament, I can only attend the show for about 5 days so I'm not sure if I should just attend the wholesale shows like AGTA from Feb 1-6 and not do the big main show on the last weekend or if I should skip the wholesale shows and just go for the main show at the end. Everything I read says the main show at the end is amazing and not to be missed but as a jewelry designer wouldn't I learn more and make more valuable business relationships at the wholesale shows?

2. Any opinion on the best wholesale shows to attend or vendors I should definitely visit?
go to Pueblo inn show...end of jan. and then to GJX that starts at beginning of feb.

3. Also, what hotels or areas are good to be close to the shows, restaurants,etc. ? Best Western/Hampton Inn type is fine.
just check online something in that area...Stone ave., Congress, University district...its plenty of non expensive motels as well

4. Some people say don't rent a car, some say it's a must. What do people typically do?
rent it...u will be able to move around to the diferent "Hotel shows"

Sorry for the long post and thank you so much for any advice you can give.

lucy

enjoy the shows and the staying in tucson...its amazing to be there in those weeks...:)
ill be there exibiting at GJX...msg me if you want to meet me in person at my booth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:31 pm 

Thank you for the quick responses! I have another question. We plan on flying in Feb 2nd which is the 2nd day of the AGTA show or is better to get there on the first day. Will I be missing all the good stuff if I don't get there on the first day?

Also, I read that in order to get into some of the wholesale shows like AGTA I'll need to show them $10,000 in receipts. Since I just started I don't have close to that. Is that a hard and fast rule? It's sort of frustrating because a new business owner has to start somewhere.

Studiogem, I will definitely visit you at your booth. I'll message you.

Thanks again,
Lucy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:40 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

Lucy -- To get into the AGTA show you'll need a copy of your business license and business cards. I've never had to show receipts of my business (good thing :shock: ). Once allowed into AGTA, the other wholesale-only shows are usually a piece of cake. Also, once you've registered for AGTA the next year's registration is automatic.

The last couple of years at AGTA have seemed rather slow to me. You won't miss much by missing the first day (or two). In fact, you might find you like the "freeway" shows better :wink: . This year I plan to spend more time there than in the larger venues.

Two things to remember: COMFORTABLE SHOES and water. Lots and lots of walking! The weather in Tucson in February can be unpredictable, as well, so you might want to dress in layers. The days can be hot even in winter (or cold ... unpredictable 8) ), and the nights get quite cold (but not always).

One thing for certain: You're going to have a great time!! :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:30 pm 
Platinum Member

AGTA, GJX and other major Tucson trade-only shows often ignore their own entrance rules with a wink, wink, nudge, nudge. It makes trade members very unhappy when they see what they thought were their own "clients" shopping right alongside them. Some of the worst abuses involve guests of trade members, brought along to curry favor with that particular member.

For the record, here are AGTA's stated requirements:

http://www.agta.org/tradeshows/tucson-reg.html

www.artcutgems.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:54 am 

Thanks everyone. We're all booked to go and very excited. I have a feeling this is going to be all very overwhelming.

Lucy