Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Introduction
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:02 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

Hi folks,

Many thanks for your answering my questions! And Barbra, thanks for such a fantastic forum! I ran across it quite by accident when googling info on the Mozambique Paraibas and was quite excited by the find. :D

I started out as a rock hound at the tender age of two when I began bringing home rocks i found in the median at the local discount club (this was long before Sam's!). Pretty soon i had quite a collection. I didnt know then that they were all quartz but I didnt care. I liked them!

My parents, never ones to stiffle my creativity, began taking me to the mountains here in Georgia to pan for Gold. We did this for many years right up through my teenage years. At some point in there we also began going to Franklin, NC to look for Rubies and Sapphires. I was the one with the good eye and could always out do my folks. Eventually my mom got tired of feeling like she was throwing away more than she was finding so she graduated to the picnick table with a novel while my dad and I got wet and muddy. Who do you think had the most fun??? The most exciting time I ever had was when we went to the Sheffield mine and I found a ruby over 50 carats. Ok, ok, it was junk, but at the time I thought I had achieved wealth beyond imagining. We even paid to have it cut en cabachon and I ended up with two nice red stones. I pulled them out a few days ago because I had not looked at them in years and I was surprised how much their 'glory' existed only in my mind. I won't be setting or selling them anytime soon because they are pretty skanky :D but they hold a treasure of memories. :)

When I was 18 I started the GIA home study course on Diamonds. I never finished. I've never had the discipline to finish significant projects on my own and need the structure of a classroom to keep me going. At the time though, there was nothing in the material that I didnt already know. I was disappointed. I expected the GIA to inform me of all types of interesting things. I guess that happened because I was a voracious reader. I have no clue how many books on gems and minerals I read as I was growing up but I bet it was in the dozens. There were a few that literally fell apart and had to be thrown away because I used them so much. I have forgotten a lot of things but back then I could tell you the name of the mineral, if it had any gem varities, the crystral structure, color(s), hardness, and just about anything you would want to know about a mineral.

I married in 1994 and almost immediately went off to seminary. I wanted to be a priest in the Anglican Church. Seminary was fun, challenging and horrible all at the same time. I graduated in '98. However, my aspirations for the priesthood were not to be. After a rocky marriage my wife and I seperated in 02 and divorced a year later. During this time (actually before as well) I had a breakdown and was unable to work. I was put on tons of medication (some of which I am still on). That took away my 'edge'. I started having short term memory problems and my inability to work persisted. I moved back home with my parents where I am today. They encouraged me to get back into rocks and minerals and gems. So I began buying things here and there and reselling on ebay. Eventually I opened an online jewelry store in addition to my ebay sales. Now, I am trying to sharpen myself up again so I can compete. But it's no longer easy to learn with these damned meds. But I can't do without them so I'm pushing myself to do what I can.

At any rate, I am terribly excited about finding gemologyonline.com! I check in several times a day to see whats new and thoroughly enjoy it.

Thanks Barbra for putting such a valuable resource online and available to all.

Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jason.
We're so happy you found us!
All of your posts are interesting and informed. :P
I think the NEW GIA courses are a lot better than the older ones. I bet if you were to get some of the new course material you'd find all sorts of stuff you didn't know already. At least I do, LOL!
Again welcome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:50 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Hi Jason!
You're most welcome and I think you'll learn "all types of interesting things" in here, I certainly have, although I'ven't been here for more than a couple of weeks! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:20 pm 
Gold Member

Welcome, Jason, we're glad your renewed interest in gems has led you to us. :smt006

Quantum Mechanics...the dreams stuff is made of. :smt047

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:55 pm 
Valued Contributor

Welcome...a lot of us were kids who loved rocks including myself!

Post subject: Anglican here too,
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:58 pm 
Valued Contributor

Jason,
I am a former Benedictine. Anglo-Catholic, see more about me at
alanwinstonsmith.com I married a gal who was a former nun. Been married for 32 years..... soul mates, every heal has a good sole.
You should think about work for the Church. I do a lot of it and there is always room for another creative mind. At 64 I am a bit older, but I am excited about meeting you on this website.
I am looking for faceted stones in the Anglican Church seasonal colors.
What do you have? Winstone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:25 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

Hi Winstone!

I neglected to mention in my brief bio that I am now Roman Catholic. After much prayer and mental agonizing I made that choice about 5 years ago and am still glad I did. But I still love Anglicanism. I keep up with the news in the Anglican church and have friends with whom I am in contact.

I had dreams once of making a studded processional cross. It was to be made of silver studded with a variety of stones. But for a variety of reasons I never got around to it.

As for stones in the seasonal colors, I have next to nothing left in stock at all. I've been busy liquidating most of my current inventory and it's pretty much gone. I'll let you know if I get anything in that fits the bill.

I'm curious, you said you are Anglo-Catholic. Are you in ECUSA or perhaps in one of the smaller groups?

Jason