January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Confessions of a gem geek.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:50 pm 
Established Member

...because I don't think I'd qualify as a gem nerd until I took some actual classes. :wink:

So I've been lurking here for a while, absorbing bits of knowledge and drooling over inclusion pics. (Inclusions are our friends...) Today I finally got up the nerve to actually register for the site, and maybe even post things. What a concept!

I've been informally making jewelry since I was entirely too small for my own good, and I started my business in 2002. It's still very much on the "don't quit your day job" scale for now, but that doesn't stop me from spending way too much money at every gem show that comes within 200 miles. I mostly play with gemstone beads and wirework, though I'm starting to figure out basic settings.

Somehow I'm not quite sure how I made the transition from working in the mall jewelry store (where I was the annoying one who informed the district manager that the earrings he was selling as tanzanite were actually Ceylon sapphires - I think that had something to do with not getting the promotion) to working for an insurance agency, but it's a day job, it pays the bills, and I've finally found a boss who gives me time to work on the jewelry, which is what really matters. (Run-on sentence, anyone? So much for the degree in English.)

I suppose I've rambled here enough, given that I should probably have just posted a "hi, I'm here too" somewhere inconspicuous, so here's hoping I don't do anything else to embarrass myself...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

As I said in our "gemology nerd" section, "Welcome aboard, lassy!"
I'm so glad that you stumbled on the forum.
Please feel free to upload pictures and share any and all of your gem thoughts.
Talk soon,
Barbra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:39 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

Welcome aboard, Keyla! Anyone who actually spells embarrass correctly is all right in my book! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:13 pm 
Established Member

Morning Dove -

I've taken great pains to spell 'embarrass' correctly ever since I made a snide comment back in high school about another person spelling it incorrectly, and "how embarrassed I would be if I spelled embarrass incorrectly". Only problem was, the other person was the one who'd spelled it correctly. Open mouth, insert foot. So although my mother still asks me to spellcheck her IMs on occasion, I've come to realize that I'm far from infallible on these sort of things. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:23 am 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

Not to worry, Keyla ... we don't take off points for spelling and grammar around here (thank goodness!). And, don't be shy about asking questions. I believe I've asked every "stupid" question in gemology existence ... and I don't plan on stopping :P .