Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hello from Slovenia!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:27 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hello everyone,

first of all, pardon my grammar, English is my 3rd language, but i try to keep it correct as much as i can.

I'm Marko from Slovenia, Central Europe. My fascination in gems and gem cutting started at the end of high school, quite a long time ago, but I never got to partake, mostly because of financial disadvantages and a lack of free time. In the past few years i started to invest myself in gathering a lot of knowledge in the subject a lot more, and now that i have some major advantages, which i have never dreamt of having before, I've started this little project of mine.

I'm an engineer, i work in machine maintenance in a branch of industry that require in some instances very high precision standard, I now have access to my own workshop with a lot of tools and machines at home, I have access to top tier precision metal (and some plastics like Delrin, UHMWPE and Teflon) production workshop, and I also have access to some parts made by Swiss and German companies by the means of "spares" for some of the mechanisms we daily work on.

I started to design my very own faceting machine, the mast type. Criteria were simple, next to the usual suspects such as precision, repeatability, functional requirements in ways of axiis of movement, to have the means of calibration, and so on, also, needs to be overbuilt, by dimensions and mass, to add rigidity and to diminish vibration and harmonics as much as possible, with a fixed mast, analog angle readout, concentric dop fixing, needs to be ergonomic and it also needs to look nice.

So far the 3D model is coming along nicely, and some parts in their physical form, too. Mast is done, coarse height adjustment, and fine too, mast anchoring, mast sliding, mast tightening to the main plate, lap spindle mount, bearings, drive also. Mast-head fixture is in the works and some other bits and bobs.

I'm building this prototype as "everything a twin", so if all goes well i will have two machines to tinker with and perfect. My machine takes ideas and approaches from different commercially available machines, hopefully, best of all worlds, but time will tell. I will share progress as it goes along. I don't have many pictures of my work, as usually I am so invested in the job itself i never really developed a habit of taking photos unless necessary for reference. Maybe some day.

I joined this magnificent forum in hope to find knowledge, friends, help, and advice, and will try to give in return information, engineering advice and good will.

Sorry for the long post, but if you managed through it, thank you for your time, Marko

Post subject: Re: Hello from Slovenia!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome. Please feel at home.
We are looking forward to you joining discussions. :D

Post subject: Re: Hello from Slovenia!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:15 pm 
Established Member

Hello and welcome also from the not so far Germany, all the best for your machine!
Gerd