January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Seeking advice for a spectrometer purchase, seting up a lab.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:41 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hello, everyone!
First of all I want to thank all of you for creating such a wonderful community with lots of usefull information for experienced gemologists as well as for beginners.
As a former gemology student I met with a situation when not everyone supports the opinion that tradional methods of identifying gems and species can satisfy a customer.
In my case the employers in the gemology company where I work are awared that refractometer, polariscope, etc. are not enough for professional work. No chances to convince them otherwise.
So I was told to make a survey and choose a spectrometer for the lab.
Here is why I ask an advice. As far as get there are several companies specialized in gem spectrometers. Most of them sell hi-end products for gemologists and scientists.
But still there are some low cost offers in the market.
And I have to choose whether to save money and buy an affordable one or save money for the future and buy a high-end one.
Let's say I stopped with CIG GL Gem Spectrometer (around 2k USD) and Magilabs GemmoRaman-532 (around 14k USD). They are both good with databases and offered as "user friendly".
The purpose of puchasing is to sort out and identify gemstones and species. Mostly no need to check for treatment or synthetics. No diamonds as well.

Can someone having an experience using either of these spectrometers recomend me how to act?
Will the affordable one be enough for simple operations like I previously said or should I reassure myself and buy most professional one straight from the beginning?

Thank you in advance!
I want to listen to real owners experience, cause you know asking producers... every cook praises his own broth as usual.

Post subject: Re: Seeking advice for a spectrometer purchase, seting up a
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:44 pm 
Site Admin

I've used the GemmoRaman everyday for the last 6 years.
I think the price is very reasonable for a reliable instrument that will serve you years to come.
So far, my GemmoRaman has cost me $6.40/day.

It can identify both cut and rough material, loose and mounted.
100% recommendation.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:54 pm 
Gold Member

I have a number of spectrometers in my lab. Three optical based, and two digital based.

The GL Spectrometer, and the Magilab Raman are used for completely different tasks.

If you are looking to do species level identifications ignoring treatments, and natural/synthetic origin then a Raman is going to serve you best. If you are properly trained and can get a good scan on a sample, and a match in your database, you can pretty much rely on the species of the stone being correct close to 100% of the time.

If you want to make determinations of treatments in jade, colored diamonds, diamond synthetics, and others, or if you want to determine trace elements like copper in tourmalines you will need a VIS-NIR spectrometer. I view a call such as Paraiba Type Tourmaline as an Identification. However, as a straight species identification technology the RAMAN is orders of magnitude a superior technology compared to VIS-NIR spectrometry.

I will say that a good optical spectrometer is equally valuable to the digital ones in many circumstances. There is so much literature and comparison spectrums available for this type of spectrometry.

As you have discovered, the price for optical, and VIS-NIR spectrometers is very reasonable. Raman is much more expensive. But there are some lower cost alternatives, one made by members here on this site.

I do think that for almost all straight forward species identifications the classic gemological tools are definitely sufficient. You should really understand your needs and goals before choosing the more advanced technologies. But based just on the parameters set in your post I think the Raman fits your needs the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

As usual, Steve has replied thoroughly and accurately.

I don't have the GL Spectrometer. I was considering it as an add on but ultimately decided against it and spent the money (+ a few thousand, cough, cough) on the MagiLab EXA which separates natural from synthetic diamonds and also detects fillers, treatments, etc. in a handful of gems using fluorescent spectra.

What I might suggest is that you contact Alberto directly and see what show he and Mikko will be going next for a demo of their instruments. It will knock your socks off!

Our Mod Stephen also makes some excellent spectrographic instruments but I don't own any so I can't give you an educated review.
Ask him. He's easy to find.
Stephen?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:25 pm 

I do sell raman spectrometers, and I think we offer probably the most economical option for gemologists. We don't really make them, they're surplus military/first responder units which we've reconfigured for gemological usage. It's a nice little unit, and it's even portable which is a nice bonus in some cases.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:51 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

How can I get in touch with you Stephen and make a quote?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:28 pm 
Site Admin

Since he is a MOD on the site, you have already contacted him.