January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Suggest a Gemological Microscope for 2020
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:18 pm 
Established Member

After a recent visiting GIA Carlsbad I managed to come home with a GG. Now that my studies are behind me and with the prospect of perusing a career in the field I am interested in purchasing a new microscope. I have limited experience and have much to learn but I would like it have a range from inspection for basic appraisals but also capable of photomicrography.
Price is always a factor but I am also looking to buy something that I will be proud to own a decade from now.
Any and all suggestions welcome :)

Post subject: Re: Suggest a Gemological Microscope for 2020
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

Congratulations on the GG!!
Tremendous achievement.
If you live in the Bay Area, I have a GIA Gemolite Mark VII microscope am selling for $1300. I don't want to ship it.
Excellent condition with protective hard carrying case.

If you don't live in the Bay Area Stephen Challener (our MOD) usually has several up his sleeve.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:54 pm 
Gold Member

Congratulations on your G.G.!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:49 pm 
Established Member

Barbra Voltaire, FGG wrote:
Congratulations on the GG!!
Tremendous achievement.
If you live in the Bay Area, I have a GIA Gemolite Mark VII microscope am selling for $1300. I don't want to ship it.
Excellent condition with protective hard carrying case.

If you don't live in the Bay Area Stephen Challener (our MOD) usually has several up his sleeve.

Thanks very much guys. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole process and am excited to carry my skills forward by starting a small gemology lab where I live.
I am actually a Canadian which complicates things further as far as the used market is concerned. I have been doing some research along the way and have found Meiji to have some attractive offerings in their GEMZ series but there really doesn't seem to be a much as far as user experiences.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:56 pm 

Typically shipping from the US to canada isn't a big issue. I have done it before myself, and it isn't insanely expensive.
I am going to have all my gemscopes listed on GO soonish but don't have them up quite yet--do you have an idea of your budget range? I might have something you'd like.

Meiji has a great reputation, especially for high build quality, and their scopes have very solid resale value. I have never heard of anyone being particularly unhappy with one, as long as you make sure to not get a non-switchable darkfield model. If I were buying new I'd look closely at Jeff Wildman's GemPro scopes, though I have not tried one out. The build quality looks quite good and he puts quality refurbished heads on them, along with what seems like reasonable pricing for a new scope.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:26 am 
Established Member

Stephen Challener wrote:
Typically shipping from the US to canada isn't a big issue. I have done it before myself, and it isn't insanely expensive.
I am going to have all my gemscopes listed on GO soonish but don't have them up quite yet--do you have an idea of your budget range? I might have something you'd like.

Meiji has a great reputation, especially for high build quality, and their scopes have very solid resale value. I have never heard of anyone being particularly unhappy with one, as long as you make sure to not get a non-switchable darkfield model. If I were buying new I'd look closely at Jeff Wildman's GemPro scopes, though I have not tried one out. The build quality looks quite good and he puts quality refurbished heads on them, along with what seems like reasonable pricing for a new scope.

I appreciate the response Stephen.
I'm looking for a "forever scope" so as far as price is concerned I keep returning to the models in the 5k USD range. I would prefer it to be trinocular so I can have a proper photo set up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:06 am 

I have a Gemolite VII retrofitted with a Leica focus mount and Leica MZ95 head, complete with trinoc port (set up for APS-C DSLR) and a planapo objective--that's a nice research grade head. As a all-round gemscope it's the best one I've ever put together. I have it listed on facebook for 3500 including US shipping (or Canadian in this case, it's not that much more expensive). If you're interested I can email you more information and photos.
I also have a couple of less-expensive trinocular scopes on good bases that would certainly cover the bases for most gem usage, that's just my best one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:30 pm 
Established Member

Stephen Challener wrote:
I have a Gemolite VII retrofitted with a Leica focus mount and Leica MZ95 head, complete with trinoc port (set up for APS-C DSLR) and a planapo objective--that's a nice research grade head. As a all-round gemscope it's the best one I've ever put together. I have it listed on facebook for 3500 including US shipping (or Canadian in this case, it's not that much more expensive). If you're interested I can email you more information and photos.
I also have a couple of less-expensive trinocular scopes on good bases that would certainly cover the bases for most gem usage, that's just my best one.

sounds interesting... I'd love to have a look at it if you don't mind. do you prefer Facebook or email?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:48 pm 
Gold Member

Congratulations on your GG.

I have a Meiji GEMZ-5TR with GEMZ/SVH/BD base and SWF10X and SWF20X eyepieces, and I like it very much. The EMZ-5TR directs the image to the right eyetube and photo port simultaneously. This thread has very helpful information from Keirkof about attaching a camera to the photo port.

That said, Stephen Challener puts together some excellent microscopes as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:41 pm 

Either facebook or email work well for me. My facebook is pretty easy to find, I'm the only guy in the US with this name.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:21 pm 
Established Member

Stephen Challener wrote:
Either facebook or email work well for me. My facebook is pretty easy to find, I'm the only guy in the US with this name.

I'll send you a message then :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:28 pm 
Established Member

Brian wrote:
Congratulations on your GG.

I have a Meiji GEMZ-5TR with GEMZ/SVH/BD base and SWF10X and SWF20X eyepieces, and I like it very much. The EMZ-5TR directs the image to the right eyetube and photo port simultaneously. This thread has very helpful information from Keirkof about attaching a camera to the photo port.

That said, Stephen Challener puts together some excellent microscopes as well.

thanks very much Brian :)
one thing I've learned after a week of going down the "which microscope suits me best" rabbit hole I've learned that anecdotal experiences are of value and help with creating clarity. Your photo adaptor link is proof of that and I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:24 pm 
Established Member

I bought a Meiji GEMZ-5TR, I love it. It was worth the extra dollars for sure. Where in Canada are you based out of? I’m in Canada as well, shipping was good from a US company, little bit of duty fees on delivery but it wasn’t bad even!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:59 am 
Established Member

raeghan.s wrote:
I bought a Meiji GEMZ-5TR, I love it. It was worth the extra dollars for sure. Where in Canada are you based out of? I’m in Canada as well, shipping was good from a US company, little bit of duty fees on delivery but it wasn’t bad even!

Hi there Raeghan, I'm out of Sask. The GEMZ trinocs are very nice looking and I've only heard good things.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:41 pm 
Established Member

Where in Sask? I’m actually in Saskatchewan as well!

I’d recommend the Meiji to anyone, personally!