January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Appraising Gems & Jewelry for Advanced Assignments
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:27 pm 
Established Member

In one month, the American Society of Appraisers will offer a three-day course in "Appaising Gems & Jewelry for Advanced Assignments." It will be held July 18-21 in McLean, VA. Our instructors will be Mark Cartwright and Mary Reich, two of the most highly experienced appraisers and teachers in our field. There is no substitute for learning jewelry appraising in a live classroom setting. You will make friends and professional contacts from all over the country! If you already have some appraisal education (including USPAP) and are interested in attending, please let me know directly.

Post subject: Re: Appraising Gems & Jewelry for Advanced Assignments
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:59 pm 
Established Member

Here's some more information about the course in McLean from July 18 through July 21 (last session on Sunday morning is test only). The 24 instructional hours will cover appraising for estate tax, equitable distribution, and post-loss insurance claim, among many other challenging assignments. In turn, you will learn how to use the sales comparison approach, based on an item's true value elelements; how to identify the right market for the situation; how to find suitable comparable sales and how to adjust them, and what a "narrative" appraisal is and how to use it to make your appraisal document truly authoritative.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

What are the prerequisites for taking the class?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:10 pm 
Established Member

Hi, Barbra,
In order to take the class, one must have at least two years of appraisal experience, and taken USPAP within the last five years.
At this moment, we expect to open registration to non-ASA members on July 1. Whenever that happens, I'll post the information here along with a link to more course information and registration.
Scott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

I know I wanted to take a class with ASA before and got slammed because
I was neither a member, nor someone who previously took their introductory classes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:27 am 
Established Member

I'm sorry about that, Barbra. I'm clarifying the situation with this course and will let everyone know its status shortly.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Scott.

I fell like the person "assisting" me to sign up for the course was unnecessarily arrogant and condescending.

She informed me that the person in charge thought me unqualified, lacking in both the $700 annual candidate membership fee and USPAP instruction.

I asked the person on the phone, who was essentially representing ASA, if she could email me information on the beginning courses and she answered, "They are on our website".

Makes me want to sign right up....that is, if I wasn't so unworthy. :wink:

Most importantly, at this point in my life, I am not looking for more letters after my name, I am interested, as I always have been, in information.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:59 pm 
Established Member

Barbra,

I don't know how to apologize adequately for the treatment you received. The plain truth is that there has been a debate within the Gems and Jewelry discipline about whether non-ASA members may enroll in this course, and what the prerequisites are for both members and nonmembers. I thought it had been resolved when I posted, but I was wrong. Sadly this sort of horribly messy thing goes on sometimes in ASA, as it does in most organizations at one time or another. Because we are a non-profit, volunteer-directed group, we tolerate (even grow) from it.

Now it is resolved. The class is open to nonmembers to enroll. The link is here: http://www.appraisers.org/Education/View-Class?ClassID=4121

The prerequisites are as follows: "It is recommended that students have at least two (2) years of previous appraisal experience and have completed a 7- or 15- hour USPAP class within the last 5 years."

Mark Cartwright, who is one of the finest gemologist-appraisers practicing in our field, as well as one of its most important theoreticians, is not only teaching this course (along with Mary Reich, a nearly forty-year member of the jewelry industry), he is also the incoming chairman of ASA's Gems & Jewelry discipline. Over the next two years, he will bring our discipline to new heights. I hope you and others in this forum will find it within themselves to forgive some very bad behavior by our support staff and take advantage of this excellent educational opportunity.

Anyone reading this should feel free to contact me directly by email or phone if you have any questions or concerns.
Scott