January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: what do you need to bring/buy?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:52 am 
Established Member

Hi all,
thanks heaps for all the helps re my previous questions (books).Im leaving this week for bangkok and will be joining AIGS monday next week WOHOO..:D
anyway, I just want to know if I will need to own any gemological instruments to assist my study. Ive been informed by the school staff that they will be providing all the instrument needed for the course, but Im wondering if It's better to have my own basic instrument handy.
If yes, then where to buy it in bangkok??how much approx?

and according to others' exp, would we do alot of writings in class??I havent been writing for ages (bad bad computer) :P

and, abt the accomodation. can anyone recommend a place to stay around the school?? one that's clean and safe with reasonable price and preferably, a good internet connection 8) :D . I will arrive mid night on saturday and hoping to settle my accomodation before the class starts on monday.

Thanks again!! love this forum!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:02 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Hi HAS,

I recommend you to find and buy the following:
- a good 10x triplet loupe.
- a "dark field loupe" which is a 10x loupe adapted on a torch liht. It is very useful as a pocket microscope when you go to see dealers or visit gem markets as it will complete very well your own triplet loupe. The advantage of the dark field is that it will enanle you to check very rapidly any stones for its inclusions using dark field environment. This will enable you to spot easily (with some practice) most treatments, synthetics, and even to make your idea, in some cases, about the origin of a given gemstone...

You can buy these instruments not very far from the school in the different shops selling instruments in Mahesak street (Warner tower). They even sell there some very complete field set with dark field loupe, twizers, 10x loupe, color filter, dichroscope,...

My advise is to get this dark field as with it you can check rapidly the stones in the school with it first and then have a better look with the microscope. When you find what you want with the microscope try to find it with your dark field... The good thing is that when you will be on week end or after your diploma if you don't have invested in a microscope you will be able to continue to practice and maintain your skills using your dark field. Many gemologist after 1 year after their studies became dangerous for themselves because they don't practice anymore.

Try to buy a good dark field with a maglite as a torch light, most of the time they are not sold with a maglite but you can ask them to replace the basic low quality torch light with a maglite...

You know, I started gemology like that with a dark field loupe and a good reference book about inclusions (the Photoatlas of Inclusions in Gemstones) and from then I disciplined myself to look at stones everyday for at least 1 hour as an average.

At AIGS you will have the possibility to study one of the most interesting collection of gemstones a student can be offered to study. Do not miss any occasion to study and study again these stones under the microscope (or the dark field loupe) and try to identify and understand what you see using the photoatlas vol 1 and 2 as a reference.

Now regarding lodging you can find a room inside the JTC tower where the scool is located. You will have furnished room there from 15.000 to 30.000THB/month. Now 5 minutes from the shool just near the skytrain station you have a residence where you can also find room from may be 12.000 to 25.000. In both case you will have an access to a swimming pools. At JTC you can have access to high speed internet very easily and whatever the case the area is ver convenient for food and all the rest...

Now you can also go to see the AIGS school staff, or the current students there they will I think be very happy to help you. If you want some other former students to help you, you can join the AIGS alumni group on facebook. Many former student are there and also some instructor and AIGS staff.

All the best,

www.fieldgemology.org
www.conservationgemology.org

The views expressed here are V. Pardieu’s opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of GIA Laboratory Bangkok (http://www.giathai.net)where he is an employee since Dec 2008.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:31 pm 
Established Member

Hi Vincent,
Thank you very much for the information. surely they are VeRY usefull for a newbie like me :D
however can I ask abit more just to make sure I got it right?
So you are recommending me to buy a 10xtriplet loupe AND dark field loupe, am I correct?
WHen you said a 'good' 10x loupe, is there any general guidelines to differentiate a good from a bad ones??is there any specific brand maybe?
Can you give me a rough picture of how much I would be paying for a good loupe??

I have done abit of research for the accomodation. are petkasem road and soi satupradit near the school??
Im not sure coz it's said that petkasem rd located near RObinson, and I know Robinson is in silom road. I might be wrong though, been looking through many thailand road maps and I got all the name mixed up :shock:

Still searching...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:18 pm 
Valued Contributor

vincent pardieu wrote:
- a "dark field loupe" which is a 10x loupe adapted on a torch liht. It is very useful as a pocket microscope when you go to see dealers or visit gem markets as it will complete very well your own triplet loupe. The advantage of the dark field is that it will enanle you to check very rapidly any stones for its inclusions using dark field environment. This will enable you to spot easily (with some practice) most treatments, synthetics, and even to make your idea, in some cases, about the origin of a given gemstone...
Hi,
I've used several of the darkfield loupe styles and also highly recommend investing in one. The one I find works the best, and which other gemologists I have showed it to have switched to, is the Mega-loupe (the larger one) seen here and available through Jeff Wildmans site
It is on the expensive side for what it seems, but I can't say enough about how well it works. I didn't see it for sale in BKK, but I would ask gemologists there and try it out to see what style works best for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:35 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

HAS wrote:
So you are recommending me to buy a 10xtriplet loupe AND dark field loupe, am I correct?

Correct: The 10x loupe is very useful to check the surface of a stone (glass filling on a ruby, etc...) or to examine jewelry, minerals,...
The dark field loupe is great for all cut stone from 0.05 to 10 carats...
HAS wrote:
WHen you said a 'good' 10x loupe, is there any general guidelines to differentiate a good from a bad ones??is there any specific brand maybe?

Well a good one means one fully corrected for both colors and symmetry (aplanatic and achromatic)
HAS wrote:
Can you give me a rough picture of how much I would be paying for a good loupe??

No real idea it depend of the size of the loupe, the material used, the brand name... I've my preference but yours are may be different. You know when you buy a 10x loupe you might use it for many years so there is a lot of personal tatse involved...

Globally don't worry too much and don't create yourself useless head hakes before to arrive in Bangkok:
"Jai yen yen" meaning cool down...
You can get in bangkok an apartment in 2 days around the school and you will see in the equipment shop so many different loupes that you will be able to find the one you need. Don't rush, try some at the school, or ask people around and then just buy one you like...

Don't think too much about all that and just focus on gemology.

In Bangkok may be take a room in a hotel close to the JTC for few days, allowing you to visit the area around and find what you like. You have many possibilities: Among others at 200m from the JTC there is a place called "Silom village" where many students go for lunch every day and just in front you have a small hotel called "For You Residence" in which many gem dealers stay for few days.
You can also get a room for few days in the center of Mahesak at "The Wall" a famous gem dealer place...

It is very easy, don't worry, just go there, study and enjoy Thailand which is a beautiful country to study gemology.

www.fieldgemology.org

The views expressed here are V. Pardieu’s opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of GIA Laboratory Bangkok (http://www.giathai.net)where he is an employee since Dec 2008.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:47 am 
Established Member

Jia yen yen...sounds abit like chinese to me :) are they thai words?

Im more on the excited than the stressed side...eventhough taking this course means I have to sort so many things out here in a very short time before leaving, and that can be stressful too, but the prospect of studying gemology outweighs the pressure... I cant wait till my flight on saturday night!!
Im so fortunate to get this opportunity. Im sure it will be a lifetime experience :)

this forum is great! thanks alot vincent for your helpfull advices, and also for so many others (babra, gemdoc, etc) who have helped alot during my decision making process, giving helpful insight, and extra info abt accomodation, living in bkk etc... and I cant wait to get there! *dancing around the room*

and meanwhile..im trying to 'jia yen yen' myself 8) :D

have a good day everyone ^-^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:21 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

HAS wrote:
Jia yen yen...sounds abit like chinese to me :) are they thai words?

"Jai yen yen" is Thai of course...
"Jai" means "heart"
"yen" means cold, the repetition is the way to say: "a lot"
so "Jai yen yen" means "cool down"...

In Thailand nervosity is not seen as a quality: People which show too much excitation are labeled as "Jai ron" (heart hot) and it is not seen as a quality in this very Buddhist country.
They like people able to control themselves in all circumstances...

All the best,

www.fieldgemology.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:35 am 
Established Member

interesting fact :)
in our culture, slowing down or quietness are often seen as lacking of drive and is not regarded as a virtue too...
it's quite amazing to see how diverse each country's culture is. n it's always good to learn abt other country's culture, particularly if im abt to go and stay there for a while :D so thanks again vincent :)
anything else maybe that I should know abt thailand's culture??

..."jai yen yen"...maybe "jai yen" is good enough for a start for me? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:27 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

Don't touch anyone on the head or face. REALLY don't pat anyone on top of the head! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:18 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

HAS wrote:

anything else maybe that I should know abt thailand's culture??

Many things about Thailand that you will enjoy to learn during your 6 months there... Just be open minded and nice with the people. They will teach you better then me and you will love it.
All the best,

www.fieldgemology.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:16 pm 
Established Member

@gem-noob: lolz sounds like you've done it before no?? in fact, dont touch anyone's head if they come from asian region. coz head is regarded as the utmost part of body (maybe because the brain is there :P)

vincent, I will surely enjoy my time in thailand. just wait for another post from me!! :twisted:

I will be there for just 2 months though, due to business back home. but I will go to bkk again to do the rest of the course (hopefully) after mid of this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:09 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

HAS wrote:
@gem-noob: lolz sounds like you've done it before no?? in fact, dont touch anyone's head if they come from asian region. coz head is regarded as the utmost part of body (maybe because the brain is there :P)

No, never been to Thailand (or anywhere else in Asia :( ), but I have some friends who have and I've browsed through some of those "tourist" books that talk about cultural differences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:52 am 
Established Member

Welcome to Thailand ka, khun HAS
As khun Vincent said, "Jai yen yen" :D

You will enjoy your time in Thailand. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:40 am 
Established Member

@gem-noob: well, how about when im already there, i will update you when I encounter another interesting 'culture shock' :wink:

@taywiga: thanks khun taywiga :wink: (what does khun mean?i assume it's a salutation no?) :D Im sure I will enjoy my time in bkk ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:11 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

HAS wrote:
(what does khun mean?i assume it's a salutation no?)

Hi HAS,
Khun just means Mr or Ms in Thai.

All the best,

www.fieldgemology.org