Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: My Gem ID Lab
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:32 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hi All,

I have decided to post a picture of my lab along with a detailed list of all the instruments I bought in preparation for the Gem ID course. I am a distance student just received my first set of stones this past week (really excited!) Here is a list of the following equipment that I decided to purchase for the course (prices are pre-shipping):

1. GemOro 1030 Scope - $250 - fdjtool.com
2. OPL Desk Spectroscope & Stand - $235 - gemstonepress.com
3. Calcite Dischroscope - $40 - Ebay
4. Polariscope & Conoscope - Kassoy -$193 -
5. Refractometer and sodium filter- Gem-A - $517 - Mineralab.com
6. Hanneman Filter Set - $90- Kassoy.com
7. Raytech Versalume LW/SW UV Lamp - $97 - Mineralab.com
8. Colored stone testing set - $49 - Barbra Voltaire (Thanks Barbra!)
9. Mag-light pen light - $10 - Target
10. UV goggles - $2 - Home Depot
11. "Immersion Cell" - candle holder from Michaels - $2
12. Zelco Flex Light - gemstonepress.com

Stuff I already had and cannot recall pricing - GIA Loupe, gem cloth, tweezers, and a Dazor overhead lamp with daylight equivalent bulbs.

A quick note on the scope - quality seems great and the scope is very easy to use. The one gripe I do have is the iris is not made very well. The black plates consistently move out of place when opening/closing the iris. I haven't had to use this yet so I am not too concerned right now.

Edit: I contacted fdjtool regarding the issue with the scope and was put in touch with a representative from Gemoro who sent me a new iris to install. Great customer service and now the scope works perfectly!

This forum was a great resource in helping me decide which equipment to purchase and I hope this can serve as an additional resource for GIA distance students in a similar position.

Chris

Last edited by C.J.V on Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: My Gem ID Lab
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:19 am 
C.J.V wrote:
........A quick note on the scope - quality seems great and the scope is very easy to use. The one gripe I do have is the iris is not made very well. The black plates consistently move out of place when opening/closing the iris. I haven't had to use this yet so I am not too concerned right now.

This should not happen and (if your unit is still under warranty) calls for repair under warranty. I wouldn't overlook this. It won't get better by itself and may well get worse. Do call your supplier and discuss with them before returning the unit though.

Hope this helps.

P.S. You forgot to mention your little Zelco Flexi-light; good aren't they? :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:31 pm 
Valued Contributor

Thanks for posting this helpful list! I'm working up to purchasing my "lab" this fall/winter, and am not that thrilled with the price of the GIA student equipment package. It seems you paid a lot less and got a lot more! :shock:

PS: I think you mean Mineralab.com; Minerallab.com goes someplace without gem ID equipment for sale...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:04 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Forgot about the Zelco! Love the little thing! Thanks for the tip Kerensky, It is still under warranty and I will contact the manufacturer.

Thanks Hoshichan, glad it was helpful. Sorry about leading you astray with the wrong link, hope it wasn't anything too bad...

I think opting to purchase your own gear is a much more economical alternative than purchasing the GIA kit. Good luck with your lab!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:51 pm 
Valued Contributor

C.J.V wrote:
Thanks Hoshichan, glad it was helpful. Sorry about leading you astray with the wrong link, hope it wasn't anything too bad...

Oh no, nothing like that - it was actually a materials testing lab, so it looked kindof right at first, but then the equipment section was about their lab's equipment, not anything for sale. I figured it out. :)

And thanks! I'm very excited at the prospect of buying everything piecemeal - that means I can afford to start NOW, instead of saving for months and months. (Microscope or spectroscope first? Decisions, decisions...) Your list is invaluable, and I'm sure other students will benefit from it as well.

Good luck with Gem ID! :D