January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Egyptian Hallmarks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:53 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Dear Smart Precious Metal and Gem people.
Thank you for the opportunity to ask this question.
I have a gorgeous pair of 'eye of Isis' drop earrings in high carat gold, lapis, turquoise and carnelian. They have both maker's marks and hallmarks - clearly hierolglyphs. Can anyone help identify when they were made and by which atelier? Yes, I have photos but the seem to be too big to upload - email address removed by administrator will get them emailed to you.
Many thanks,
Teresa

Post subject: Re: Egyptian Hallmarks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

hi Teresa and welcome to the forum,

i've moved your post here and deleted your email address cos it's not careful to share sensible infos in a public space.... :wink: ..please try to resize your pics and post them here.
ciao
alberto

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:42 pm 

Thank you Alberto. The problem I am sure will be that in making the images small the hieroglyphs will be quite impossible for anyone to make out. I now understand that the Cairo Assay office was established sometime during 1906. I will try again later when I am back on my computer and not my mobile phone. Teresa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

Upload larger pictures to ImageShack
Instructions here:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3679

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:05 pm 

ThistleCEO wrote:
Dear Smart Precious Metal and Gem people.
Thank you for the opportunity to ask this question.
I have a gorgeous pair of 'eye of Isis' drop earrings in high carat gold, lapis, turquoise and carnelian. They have both maker's marks and hallmarks - clearly hierolglyphs. Can anyone help identify when they were made and by which atelier? Yes, I have photos but the seem to be too big to upload - email address removed by administrator will get them emailed to you.
Many thanks,
Teresa

I don't think that the Egyptian Assay office used Heiroglyphics. However, if you can post a pic of the marks here, I can forward them to an Egyptian jeweler friend who might be able to tell us what they indicate.

PM me for my email and with yours if you like.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:40 pm 

http://img14.imageshack.us/g/isishallmarks.jpg/

as instructed - thanks all! HELP?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:02 am 

Hi Teresa,

since this was too hard a nut for me to crack I asked Danusia of HRI what she could make of it. Below is her reply:

Quote:
Dear Teresa,

As researcher for the Hallmark Research Institute, I am currently working with the Egyptian Assay Office to clarify the hallmarking system of Egypt as a part of the research for our next book World Hallmarks, Vol II. It is a slow process but we are making head way and just so happen to be in discussion on this very date mark. Below is the summary of your "hieroglyphics" as we have understand them to be at this point...

Egypt has been hallmarking since 1916. The three part sequential method of hallmarking has been in continued use since that time.
► The first mark on the left is the karatage of the piece. The Arabic numbers ١٨ represent the fineness of 18k or 750. Above the numbers is the symbol of the assay office that marked the piece which appears to be Cairo.
► The second mark is the ibis which is the mark for gold.
► The final mark on the right is the date mark ح that was first used in 1946-1947 and as the use of the alphabet came full circle, this letter was used again from 1996 to 2001.

Hope that helps!

Cheers!
DNL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:36 am 
Tim wrote:
Hi Teresa,

since this was too hard a nut for me to crack I asked Danusia of HRI what she could make of it. Below is her reply:

Quote:
Dear Teresa,

As researcher for the Hallmark Research Institute, I am currently working with the Egyptian Assay Office to clarify the hallmarking system of Egypt as a part of the research for our next book World Hallmarks, Vol II. It is a slow process but we are making head way and just so happen to be in discussion on this very date mark. Below is the summary of your "hieroglyphics" as we have understand them to be at this point...

Egypt has been hallmarking since 1916. The three part sequential method of hallmarking has been in continued use since that time.
► The first mark on the left is the karatage of the piece. The Arabic numbers ١٨ represent the fineness of 18k or 750. Above the numbers is the symbol of the assay office that marked the piece which appears to be Cairo.
► The second mark is the ibis which is the mark for gold.
► The final mark on the right is the date mark ح that was first used in 1946-1947 and as the use of the alphabet came full circle, this letter was used again from 1996 to 2001.

Hope that helps!

Cheers!
DNL

Thanks to all! Fascinating.

Egypt, after centuries as a part of the Ottoman (Turk) Empire, became a British Protectorate in 1914. It had that status until 1922, when it became an independent state.

The hall-marking system introduced in 1916 by Egypt followed closely the British hallmarking practice of punches for fineness, assay 'hall' and year of assay (not necessarily the year of manufacture). I'd expect the relevant law to have been of similar derivation. As the Egyptian hallmarking practice becomes older, it will be interesting to see how they choose to differentiate between date cycles. Shape of the punches perhaps?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:30 pm 

Dear Frank and Connie and all, - I have another image, one a little clearer of the marker's mark posted here:
http://profile.imageshack.us/user/thistleceo/ which may assist in finding out who actually made my earrings.
Thanks,
Teresa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:59 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

there are Arabic Number and Characters not hieroglyph!!!
there is a number "18" which is probably for Gold (750K) also using animal is common among Hallmarks and doesn't necessary means its Egyptian
i can't read other Characters clearly but they are like (J) and (Mo) in English, i'd wish i could help more.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:08 pm 

Thank you, the question of the hallmarks was previously and most satisfactorily answers the biggest issue now is decipher the marker mark which is in the photo (hyperlink) posted in my last message.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:13 pm 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

I can't work it out. is it a lion?