January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Shameless Promotion
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:46 am 
Valued Contributor

I recently had Mike Jenichen of AllDops.com make me a monster dop and a new quill for my Raytech-Shaw handpiece.

The monster dop is made from a single piece of stainless steel.

The quill is a new replacement for the original quill featuring a self centering chuck capable of securing any 1/4" dops. Now I can use my Ultra Tec dops on my Raytech and switch back and forth since he even installed a key in the quill.

Mike told me that he made more than one quill. He is usually quite busy with projects from non-faceting customers so give him time to respond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:17 am 
Valued Contributor

Can you explain for non-Raytech users, how that works?

Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:07 am 
Platinum Member

The articles here http://www.campbell-gemstones.com/ explain how to use the Monster Dop.

They contain valuable alignment information for most types of faceting machines.

Thanks for posting about this lorneman. I've been looking for someone to do the chuck-type quill modification for quite some time. Can you tell me if the rotational adjusting collar can be used with the new chuck-type quill?

www.artcutgems.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:09 pm 
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the link!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:01 pm 
Valued Contributor

ROM wrote:
Can you tell me if the rotational adjusting collar can be used with the new chuck-type quill?

The rotational adjusting collar is eliminated. The collar that secures the quill in place is still used the same way. If you want to make a coarse rotational adjustment, loosen the collet, turn, tighten. Use the cheater for fine adjustment. I am assuming that you are using two collars.

MK wrote:
Can you explain for non-Raytech users, how that works?

The original quill of my Raytech handpiece had a little bit of play..the dops were slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the quill. The dops are long with a threaded end that are secured with a nut at the top of the quill. There is a pin at the front (business end) of the dop. This is the key that references a groove in a collar at the front of the quill. By tightening the nut, it pulls the pin into the groove, locking it in place. The collar also holds the quill in the body of the handpiece. Some people install a second collar with a similar groove. They can loosen the second collar and spin it around the quill and the quill is still secured by the original collar. This is then called a rotational collar and it is used to make coarse adjustments rotationally. A very rough cheater.

My new quill has a centering chuck. I removed the collar that holds the quill in place. I slid my new quill into the hole in the body of the handpiece and secured it in place with the old collar. Now I just slide any 1/4" rod and tighten at any length of exposed dop that I desire.

It's so shiny and new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:15 pm 
Valued Contributor

Can we see a picture of the back of the handpiece with the new quill chuck attachment secured please?

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:32 am 
Valued Contributor

Hi Steve et.al.,

Here is a picture of the quill from the top. The new one is the one on the right.

It is closed because there is no need for it to be open as it secures shorter dops than the Raytech original dops. I am sure that Mike@AllDops.com could be convinced to make a new Raytech replacement quill to secure Raytech dops the same as the old way but with tighter tolerances than the original quill. Or you could contact Scott Manufacturing for a replacement part if your quill is old and sloppy.

I asked for a quill to secure Ultra Tec dops because I have an UT with plenty of dops and two Raytechs with very few dops. I am selling one Raytech (locally only) and I need to include the dops. Either I order new dops or upgrade my quill. I am sure that I made the better choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:31 am 
Platinum Member

lorne144man,

How long does it usually take for Mike to reply to inquiries? I left a message on his webste inquiring about a chuck-type Raytech replacement quill on the 21st, the date of your first post. So far there's been silence broken only by crickets chirping.

www.artcutgems.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:01 am 
Valued Contributor

The last time that I heard from Mike was a few weeks ago myself. He was just starting a cycle of 70-80 hour work weeks on a Defense Contract. He also gets hard to find if he goes out of state with his family. There are others on this list who have complained about his sometimes spotty communication but I dare anyone to complain about his work.

It's hard to recommend someone and I wouldn't unless I was willing to put my own reputation on the line. For my real job, closets and cabinets, there is only one guy I recommend to anyone, a painter. The home renovation industry is too full landmines. This one's too expensive, slow, wrong, rude...

If I hear from Mike, I will post it here.

Lorne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:50 am 
Valued Contributor

Hi Lorne,

Thanks for posting the pictures of the top.

I have both a Raytech and an Ultra Tec as well although I have a full set of Raytech Dops.

Your upgrade looks very appealing.

Thanks again,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:20 pm 
Platinum Member

mike gets to it as he can.. i've waited a bit to get in touch with him, but i've managed to do so.. calls are better than emails..

Post subject: Re: Shameless Promotion
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:52 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I just heard from Mike at AllDops.com. A few of us have been trying to contact him for dops or the new Raytech-Shaw quill upgrade. He was out of the country on personal business for a few weeks. He is back now and getting to our emails and orders.

No commercial affiliation, just a fan.

Lorne,
Toronto